Reel Restoration Tips

Started by mo65, January 07, 2018, 07:28:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George6308

Mo great job. I like your idea of using baking soda with dish detergent. Dawn has been suggested for grease removal. Now  if someone could come up with a process of restoring parts with corrosion and pitting.

Alto Mare

Quote from: George6308 on January 09, 2018, 06:01:21 PM
Now  if someone could come up with a process of restoring parts with corrosion and pitting.
There a many out there, but it would cost you more for refinishing than a new part. I don't mean painting parts.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Decker

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 09, 2018, 06:42:53 PM
Now  if someone could come up with a process of restoring parts with corrosion and pitting.
There a many out there, but it would cost you more for refinishing than a new part. I don't mean painting parts.

That's another "holy grail" that someone on this site needs to find.  ;)

This powder-coating looks good: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3855.0     Sal, how did it hold up?

There was another posting recently about using a gun-blackening coat on metal reel parts...  Here it is:  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=23515.0

^OH... look three Philly guys posting in a row^  :o

Alto Mare

Quote from: Decker on January 09, 2018, 07:57:50 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on January 09, 2018, 06:42:53 PM
Now  if someone could come up with a process of restoring parts with corrosion and pitting.

That's another "holy grail" that someone on this site needs to find.  ;)

This powder-coating looks good: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3855.0     Sal, how did it hold up?

There was another posting recently about using a gun-blackening coat on metal reel parts...  Here it is:  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=23515.0

^OH... look three Philly guys posting in a row^  :o
Can't really answer that question, the reason being that  Powder-coating needs to be done correctly. The rings that I had done by Jamie are still holding up and it is now over 6 years.
Jamie doesn't want anything to do with them, I'm guessing it wasn't worth it for him.
There is another member that just joined us, I invited him over after seeing some of his work and I believe he joined the group.
His name is Mike Lauer from Hi-Tide Reel Works...he does some nice custom work especially on alder spinfishers.

Best,

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Hi-Tide Reel Works

Hello , Thank you Sal for the add.

Maxed Out

Quote from: Hi-Tide Reel Works on January 10, 2018, 05:29:49 AM
Hello , Thank you Sal for the add.

Hi Mike, welcome to the forum

We all love admiring custom reel work cause that's what keeps us into our forward thinking mode. I'll be looking forward to seeing your work.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Tiddlerbasher

Hi Mike - welcome from the UK :)

Captain64-200

Hello Mike  , welcome from  SW France  :)
Fred from Biarritz ,

Decker

happyhooker

Howdy, Mike/Hi-Tide, from Minnesota.

Frank

mo65

Mo great job. I like your idea of using baking soda with dish detergent. Dawn has been suggested for grease removal. Now  if someone could come up with a process of restoring parts with corrosion and pitting.

Corrosion removal is a cinch. Unfortunately, corrosion restoration is a toughie. Short of spending a fortune, about the best we can do is remove the corrosion and hope that half the chrome doesn't go with it. Yep...once again...I apply the ol' "roll the dice" mentality.
   The photos below demonstrate corroded parts bathed in vinegar for 1/2 hour and then scrubbed with baking soda and rinsed with clean water. Photos 1 and 2 exibit complete failure, as the corrosion was so deeply set into the metal it had passed the point of no return. Photos 3 and 4 show how a lighter corrosion can be very successfully removed, leaving a great looking reel. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

thorhammer

Mike, that's an amazing rescue, not that I'd expect anything less of you....I really like the leadcore chart on that reel...GREAT idea I have to steal :)

foakes

Thanks, Mike!

Good tips, and great pics 📸 —

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

sharkman

Great post and a beautiful reel