alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Reel Restoration Tips
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
December 15, 2018, 05:05:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reel Restoration Tips  (Read 4215 times)
happyhooker

« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2018, 05:21:39 PM »

I, too, am not in the business of gear repair/restoration, and certainly no professional.  I can't justify buying expensive tools, cleaners, etc., unless I can also use them outside of fishing gear work.  So, I look for more common things I can use.  Yes, it probably takes more time, and if I was doing this for a living, I could completely understand the "time is money" mantra.  But, I can expend a little extra time and I feel get pretty good results, and I only have to please myself.  Thanks again, Mike, for your valuable tips & insight.

Frank
JoseCuervo

« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2018, 01:04:28 PM »

Kind of along Happyhooker's train of thought, I don't see myself as cheap, more like frugal.. Wink I also hate wasting time running out to buy something I really don't need to spend money on.

Papertowels / toilet paper / Kleenex make cheap and readily available filters.

I filter vinegar and kerosene used to clean parts. They keep a green tint but work fine. Use a single layer of whatever. You can easily make 8 filters from a single Kleenex. I clean greasy gears and stuff with kerosene in an old tuna or catfood tin. I clean rings and chrome in the cut off bottom of a gallon vinegar jug. You can fit a Squidder size spool in half a water bottle, it saves wasted space in case you are low on the fluid needed.

There is funk in the kerosene jar, but that got in there before I figured out to filter it. Once I am down to about a tinful left I will filter that crud out too.

Rob

* IMG_8240.JPG (2277.66 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 22 times.)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: