11', 12' and 13' Black Hole Cape Cod Surf II Heavy rods arrived.

Started by ksong, January 09, 2018, 12:12:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ksong

11', 12' and 13' Black Hole Cape Cod Surf II Heavy rods arrived today !
11' rod is spinning and 12' and 13' rods are conventional.
The 11' rod is for Cape Cod Canal jigging and the 12' and 13' conventional rods are for drum out of Virginia and NC.
But the rods are good for GT, tuna. yellowtail or shark from the shore too.
The retail price is $445 for 11', $465 for 12' and $485 for 13'.

xjchad

Way out of my price range, but gorgeous rods!  I'm sure they are worth every penny!  What are the line and lure ratings for them?
Husband, Father, Fisherman

ksong

Funny thing is the profit margin is low by selling these expensive rods. :)  We sacrifice our margin.
We don't expect to sell them a lot as the rod has very specific applications.

xjchad

That's crazy!  They are beautiful!  I'm sure they work as good as they look too!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Jeri

Question: Why did you put the first K series guide on backwards??

Cheers from sunny AFrica

Jeri

Rivverrat

Quote from: Jeri on January 22, 2018, 05:34:31 AM
Question: Why did you put the first K series guide on backwards??

Cheers from sunny AFrica

Jeri

Some do it that way because they believe it has less effect on the line going out during a cast or some such. Dont really like it myself but it's not a deal breaker for me... Jeff

Tiddlerbasher

This 'backwards' guide thing has become quite popular in the UK particularly with the use of spinners. When the line comes off a spinner there are lots of large loops. These loops can wrap over the first guide and ping! It is believed, by some, that putting the guide on backwards helps prevent this :-\ There was some high speed footage of line going through rod rings somewhere on the net - But I couldn't seem to find it :(

Fuji have even designed a specific ring to be reverse mounted:

http://www.guidesnblanks.com/product/7225

Jeri

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on January 22, 2018, 01:13:11 PM
This 'backwards' guide thing has become quite popular in the UK particularly with the use of spinners. When the line comes off a spinner there are lots of large loops. These loops can wrap over the first guide and ping! It is believed, by some, that putting the guide on backwards helps prevent this :-\ There was some high speed footage of line going through rod rings somewhere on the net - But I couldn't seem to find it :(

Fuji have even designed a specific ring to be reverse mounted:

http://www.guidesnblanks.com/product/7225

Agreed that Fuji have 2 particular guides that the first is designed to be put on in a reverse manner - Low Rider (LC) and the new RV guides, as you have shown.

However, the K guides that are on these rods, and many new models, are designed by Fuji to be used the 'right way' round - so that there anti-tangling design works (forwad tilted eye face) - not reversed!! Putting it on backwards invalidates the design.

Hence the question. Is this a deliberate and valid design, or just trying to be different. I spend many hours checking and changing and testing guide designs for long rods with spinners and braid, looking for the optimum - never found this avenue to be a success.

Rivverrat

Jeri, another issue that has been put forth for the backwards set ona K Series stripper guide is it is believed by some that it helps with passing knots. Like whats used with braid to mono connections... I believe if proper stripper guide size & distance from reel is used this is for the most part a non issue when K Series guides are used.

I have not been able to duplicate any issues with any regularity that people give for the reason to do this when proper sized guide & lay out is used. If one listens to those who do this few are real sure that it works. I have seen no one demonsttrate it effectively. Not with the weight lines that would be used fishing. Again I'm speaking in regards to the K series no other guide.  

Jeri, I make no claims here of being an expert or being at your level of things. This is what I've found so far & believe while also keeping an open mind. I'm just some one who enjoys building rods, the science behind it & seeing how far I can launch the baits I use... Jeff

Jeri

Hi Jeff,

Understand the concept of putting on some guides in a reverse manner, years ago (pre-braid), we used to put big BNOG 40 & 50 size guides on backwards to avoid problems with large leader knots wrapping around the first guide, but that was 30 years ago. Some folks at that time even gently bent the reversed BNOG to tilt it forward, like a home made 'K' guide to further ease the problem of big knots, and this was before Fuji designed the deliberate 'K' guide.

However, logic dictates that having the top of the guide tilted forward (as per standard 'K' Guide), shoud work best with dealing with large knots and the coils of line coming off the reel, and preserve the anti-tangling design of the 'K' guide.

I was just interested why a manufacturer would deliberately reverse this guide, and compromise the anti-tangling benefit of the design.

Sometimes 'folklore' is a pain when designing serious rods.  :)

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

Rivverrat

Jeri, I understood where you were coming from. & I agree. Dont know that I communicated that very well or not... Jeff