Missing Brake Collar

Started by Scattergun2570, January 09, 2018, 03:27:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scattergun2570

Recently picked up a Curado CU-201 "old greenie",,I noticed today it's missing one brake collar..Are these available? I would like to replace it,just to keep the reel 100% right..although I don't think I need it anyway being I will only be vertical jigging with it...in any case..where can I get one?

Tiddlerbasher

Before converting most of my smaller reels to magnetic brakes - I used to make the brake collars out of WD40 spray tubes - the tube seems to fit most reels. A slightly larger alternative would be empty biro refills. Just cut to length. If replacing collars make sure they are all the same (well as near as possible ;)) If they are different weights it can cause vibration on small bait casters. Alternatively contact Shimano :-\

MarkT

I lost one when adjusting them on a boat and was able to get another one from Shimano.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

philaroman

it's an old greenie w/ 6 pins, that you plan to use -- right?  I never found the need to engage more than 2-3 collars; can barely imagine needing 4 out of 6.  I'd just remove the collar directly opposite the missing one (for balance) & keep it as a spare...  takes care of this & NEXT need for a tiny piece of nylon hardly worth shipping

Scattergun2570

Quote from: philaroman on January 09, 2018, 03:58:51 PM
it's an old greenie w/ 6 pins, that you plan to use -- right?  I never found the need to engage more than 2-3 collars; can barely imagine needing 4 out of 6.  I'd just remove the collar directly opposite the missing one (for balance) & keep it as a spare...  takes care of this & NEXT need for a tiny piece of nylon hardly worth shipping

Yeah that's kind of what I was thinking,like I mentioned,it's going to be used for vertical jigging 99.9% of the time,maybe some short casts for herrings..I'm waiting for my Carbontex Drags to come..after I install those,I will test out the casting ability,set up as you suggested..that's if the water ever thaws out in NYC.🙏