White lithium grease in my Avets

Started by Timber Tech, January 09, 2018, 04:05:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timber Tech

Figured this is a true beginner question. So the first day I decided to service my Avets I used the only grease I had in my shop. White lithium grease. I jumped on here when I had a question and saw guys using yamalube marine grease. Duh!
Question: should I go back and degrease the reels I did with the lithium grease and redo with the marine grease?

Dominick

Yep if you are salt water fishing.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

RowdyW

Bill B

Rudy could you please elaborate......I used to use W Lithium until I got here and changed, but never knew the reason why, except everyone hated the stuff....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

thorhammer

I did way back, also.  It doesn't hold up and turns into a nasty mess. 

Keta

Use drag grease like Cal's or Shimano on your drag washers.   

If you are going to the SSS Alan and Bryan will be there, bring in a reel and they will show you how to service it.  I will be in the area but usually too busy with OCEAN things.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Quote from: Timber Tech on January 09, 2018, 04:05:58 AM
Figured this is a true beginner question. So the first day I decided to service my Avets I used the only grease I had in my shop. White lithium grease. I jumped on here when I had a question and saw guys using yamalube marine grease. Duh!
Question: should I go back and degrease the reels I did with the lithium grease and redo with the marine grease?

Grease is better than no grease. With that said, there's always some grease that are not as good as others. Did think lithium grease is sticky and dries out quickly. Making a mess to clean if used in heavy globs. Otherwise, fish it and check it periodically to see how long the grease lasts.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bryan Young

Quote from: Keta on January 09, 2018, 01:02:52 PM
Use drag grease like Cal's or Shimano on your drag washers.   

If you are going to the SSS Alan and Bryan will be there, bring in a reel and they will show you how to service it.  I will be in the area but usually too busy with OCEAN things.

By the way, if you are coming to the SSS Expo, and are planning to bring your avets and if you are having problems with your avets, let us know. We may be able to bring some parts.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

I will have my Avet parts box with me again too, Alan had a spring go away last year and I had one.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Timber Tech

I am trying to go just for fun and it would be nice to put some names with faces. I was asked to do a Panel on Tuna fishing but just can't commit to the time frame yet.

Brendan

foakes

February 23-25 - saltwater sportmen's show in salem, oregon.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Keta

Quote from: Brendan on January 10, 2018, 03:36:39 AM
SSS? What is that?

It is an Oregon secret and if I told you I'd be forced to kill you.

It is the annual fundraiser for OCEAN, Oregon Coalition Educating Anglers.

http://saltwatersportsmensshow.com/

Quote from: Timber Tech on January 10, 2018, 03:14:29 AM
I am trying to go just for fun and it would be nice to put some names with faces. I was asked to do a Panel on Tuna fishing but just can't commit to the time frame yet.

Look me up and say hi.

Mark Twain

Brendan

Thank you Fred. I guess I'm to south to know about that one.
Tight lines, Brendan.

alantani

yamaha marine is my favorite all purpose grease.  even a thin film will easily last a year, probably more.  but it's still a situation where something, anything, is better than nothing.  set the reels aside for now and move on to those other projects.  you know, like the ones i promised my wife i would take care of last summer.  when all that is done, then crack open these reels again.  until then, you should be good enough.  just don't let them go til the end of the season.   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!