Albacore reel suggestions?

Started by 22GB, January 09, 2018, 06:04:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Quote from: 22GB on January 09, 2018, 06:18:17 PM
I forgot that the Alan board has members all over the world!

I am at the head of the Klamath River in SE Oregon and my youngest daughter lives between Redaway, CA and Shelter Cove.  The closest to you I fish is Brookings but Coos Bay, Newport, OR and Garibaldi are my usual ports.  I really want to get back to the Mendocino coast again.

Iron is the preferred lure for casting off the south and mid Oregon coast but swimbaits are also used. Do not forget chunk bait, we fish it 20'-40' under slip bobbers or balloons.  Swim baits under balloons works too.

When you get hooked up trolling stop all forward movement of the boat, toss out a handful of chunks then start working iron.  Better still mark fish on your sonar and start chumming, tossing iron and swimbaits.  More than 1/2 of our trips do not involve trolling.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

SeaBush

Lots of options for our albacore.

If you are strictly looking for an iron vertical jigging reel, the Shimano torium 16 is a nice choice for the money. I have four  at this point, very happy. Could also serve as a trolling reel if needed.

For a spinning set up, the daiwa BG SW 4500 or 5000 is about as good as you can do for the money.  Spinners  are really nice for casting swim baits. I prefer the torium 16 for jigging.

If you are looking for a conventional casting/trolling reel that is easy to service, the avet MXJ for bait or casting, the avet JX for trolling (assuming braid) are the easiest to service and very rugged. These are my bait reels (we do have anchovies).

For the cost, the Penn fathom 2 speed is a good deal--i use these for my trolling reels. 

Stay away from daiwa lever drags--miserable to service.

I've yet to come across an easier reel to service than the single speed avet.

CB

Keta

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

swill88

Good info SeaBush and Welcome.

Steve

SeaBush

I read all the time, but haven't posted much on here mostly I post on ifish. But I am a reel junkie at this point, and probably spend as much time over here as ifish. 

CB

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Keta

Quote from: SeaBush on February 14, 2018, 06:58:59 AM
I read all the time, but haven't posted much on here mostly I post on ifish. But I am a reel junkie at this point, and probably spend as much time over here as ifish. 

CB

There is quite a few from IFISH here, most don't post a lot but they are still here getting info and that's one of the reasons we are here.

Mark Twain

Bryan Young

I haven't been on iFish for a while. I should return to say hi especially since I will be up there next week
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D