Replacing Asbestos Drag Washers ?

Started by swoffer, January 09, 2018, 09:59:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swoffer

Hi all ,

Just after opinions or experiences .

I have a guy who wants me to replace the old Asbestos drag washers in his oldish star drag with carbon tex  , the reel is in great condition .

I have the old washers out but the issue is the Asb washers are 2mm and I can only get 1mm Ctex material .

So It seems I need to replace each of the old with 2 Ctex .

Haa anyone done this at all ? I'm thinking of glueing 2 pieces of Ctex together to make 2mm . I assume just putting 2 pieces of ctex in without glueing would end in tears ?

Cheers for any insights .

AL

Keta

No need to glue the CF washers, just double stack them.  Another option would be to find thiner metal washers and put more washers in the drag stack.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

swoffer

Quote from: Keta on January 09, 2018, 11:53:35 AM
just double stack them. 

Really ? They wouldnt self destruct rubbing on each other ?

Would certainly be the simplest answer .

Keta

Before I had .045" metal 349H and 349 washers cut to make 5+1 drag stacks stacking CF was the only way to keep these old reels working.  The double stacked CF held up well.

What reel are you dealing with here?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Tiddlerbasher

I'd go with Keta's suggestion of extra metal and cf washers for a 5 stack. Delrin under gear and top of the stack. Powerful and smooooth ;)
All of my star drag reels have been converted from a 3 stack to a 5 stack.

swoffer

Quote from: Keta on January 09, 2018, 01:22:53 PM

What reel are you dealing with here?

Not 100% sure but it looks like a  DAIWA SL350HK in about a 6/0 size . The pedigree stick ons have fallen of .

Its has 3 asb wshers at 2mm each .

day0ne

If it's 6/0 size, it's probably a 600H. The 350, is a much smaller reel. The 600H reels were famous for the stickers falling off
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Shark Hunter

There is a kit for that reel.
I think Bryan has it.
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

Quote from: Shark Hunter on January 09, 2018, 09:28:57 PM
There is a kit for that reel.
I think Bryan has it.
Sorry. No drag kit for that the Daiwa 350 reel. I haven't come up with an affordable drop in solution.

Stacking of the Carbontex will not shread against each other. In actualality, the two Carbontex would interlock with each other as both surfaces are course. The slippery smooth metal washers would slide against the Carbontex and has a lower friction factor than Carbontex to Carbontex.

Regarding the 600H reel, I do have a drag kit that drops right in. It changes your 3-stack to a 5-stack configuration. Please pm me if you are interested in a 600H drag kit. They are $30 shipped in the USA.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

swoffer

A little bit more research has found a picture of it , seems I may have overestimated the size  ::) , I now believe it to be an sl 400 h .

Wonder if there is a drop in stack for that ? I'm in Aus to which may make postage more interesting .

Bryan Young

Can you post a picture of your r.eel. Below the block where you are typing in your response you will see + Additional Options. In there you can attach a photo. I have a drag kit for the 400H but want to be sure we are talking about the same reel.

The cost of this drag kit is also $30. Shipping to Australia is somewhere between $5-$8 depending on where you are. I charge $6 for shipping of a drag kit to Australia. Most times it's more but only a couple of bucks. Only once was it less.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

swoffer

I'm trying , very trying :-)

Bryan Young

I think you have a 600H based on the Line capacity. I do have a 5-stackdrag kit for your reel. Same price as the 400H.

Shark Hunter

Yes, the line capacity chart is definitely a 600h.
Bryan's Drag kit will really help that reel.
Good Call Bryan.
Life is Good!

swoffer

Owner decided to go with the double stacking option .

Seem to work ok handheld , big test will come when a decent fish decides to try it out .

Thanks for all the input guys , once again this group steps up , what a great forum .