Diawa Saltiga 20 Star - stripped??

Started by TannerCortes, January 09, 2018, 10:28:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TannerCortes

hi Alan/members:

I recently went through and replaced the drags on my favorite diawa saltiga 20 reel.  when I put everything together, i discovered that the star drag won't completely tighten to max and hold.  I think the threads on the star are stripped. 

But can't be certain.  The threads on the main gear shaft look good.

Any thoughts on what else could be wrong?

if you think it's possible, that the star is stripped, where can i purchase that?

Thanks

handi2

Tanner yes the threads can strip on the drag star. It sounds like the shims and spring washers under the drag star weren't high enough and you had to keep tightening the star to get any drag.

If you have any shims or washers to put on the gear sleeve to make it so the star doesn't have to tighten forever to get drag it might help. Just as long as you can get the handle back on and it all works right.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

TannerCortes

Quote from: handi2 on January 09, 2018, 10:35:54 PM
Tanner yes the threads can strip on the drag star. It sounds like the shims and spring washers under the drag star weren't high enough and you had to keep tightening the star to get any drag.

If you have any shims or washers to put on the gear sleeve to make it so the star doesn't have to tighten forever to get drag it might help. Just as long as you can get the handle back on and it all works right.

Yes, I think I overtightened to compensate.  I have washers I can stack on the gear sleeve.  But now I need to get the star drag piece.
Thanks for coming back so quick on this.

Hans

TannerCortes

Quote from: handi2 on January 09, 2018, 10:35:54 PM

Wanted to close the loop on this one. 

I stripped the reel down again, removing the drive shaft and cleaning it.
I cleaned the star drag as well, using a small toothbrush to get at the inner threads.

I looked at both through a decent magnifying glass and see that the star drag threads are severely stripped and flattened.
The drive shaft itself looks good, no flattened threads, but I do think it is still worn on the lower threads as the star drag will easily slide up and down over those threads, opposed to the higher set of threads.

So I ordered new star drag, drive shaft.  Hope that covers it because this reel was built very solidly.  First time I've really opened it up and love the way everything is put together!!!

Thanks again.

alantani

sounds good.  replacing both is usually the way to go. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!