Hello New Here from Corona, California

Started by TannerCortes, January 09, 2018, 10:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TannerCortes

Quote from: TannerCortes on January 12, 2018, 06:54:00 PM
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome here!  Happy New Year!
Gobi King, what the heck you doing out in sunny MI?  Don't you miss the hot dusty IE?

The Bluefin tuna in the avatar is a fish I caught 3 days before Thanksgiving 2017.

This fish is really special to me because I hooked and landed it on a custom rod I built. 
I hadn't really plan to finish the rod till the following year, thinking the season was done. 

But in late November, the bigger grade tuna made a nice showing at the 60 mile bank and I just had to have a go at them.

Started and finished wrapping the rod the day before the trip.  Put 2 coats of epoxy on the guides the next 24 hours (2 cycles) and took
it with me on the boat a lil soft, lol.  SuperSeeker 63xxh paired with a Okuma Makaira 16 SEA 2 spd reel, rail rod configuration.

Next morning, the fished rolled in and I was fortunate to get bit using a fly-lined sardine, 3/0 Owner Circle Hook, 130# Blackwater Fluoro leader.
The rod was fantastic, fishing with 30# of drag, would lift the fish well. The Mak reel very solid as well.  Surprised that Okuma built this reel.

The fish taped out at 185 lbs.  It was delicious.  It's been a crazy last 4 years in California, with this grade of fish being so close to shore.  Hope it keeps up.
Hope you all get a chance to try for them in 2018.

Tight lines everyone!

Quote from: gstours on January 10, 2018, 04:36:52 PM
Welcome to the Best Friendly Fishing Forum.   I love your avatar picture,  could you tell us the story? :)        gst.

Alto Mare

Welcome aboard Hans!...nice fish!

Sal from PA
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bill B

Welcome brother.....Im right around the corner from you in Riverside, Pete (Idoret94) is over here also, we all need to get together and swap lies...errrr fish stories....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Jigtosser

Great fish Hans, I am also in River-city... count me in Bill  ::)
Welcome aboard!!!   Dan

Gobi King

Quote from: TannerCortes on January 12, 2018, 06:54:00 PM
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome here!  Happy New Year!
Gobi King, what the heck you doing out in sunny MI?  Don't you miss the hot dusty IE?

Tight lines everyone!

Tanner,
I worked for Loma Linda University Hospital for many years, I commuted from West MI to Loma Linda every week nearly.

No way! T-H-A-T fish came out of SoCal, wow, please post a different thread of fishing out of SoCal, it will be good info for us, maybe some day I can take time off to get down there to fish some.

How much line do you have on that Mak 16?

Good fishing bro!

Shibs
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

TannerCortes

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on January 14, 2018, 05:00:51 PM
Quote from: Gobi King on January 15, 2018, 03:49:26 PM
Quote from: Jigtosser on January 15, 2018, 03:50:32 AM

Tanner,
I worked for Loma Linda University Hospital for many years, I commuted from West MI to Loma Linda every week nearly.

No way! T-H-A-T fish came out of SoCal, wow, please post a different thread of fishing out of SoCal, it will be good info for us, maybe some day I can take time off to get down there to fish some.

How much line do you have on that Mak 16?

Good fishing bro!

Shibs

Hey guys I knew i wasn't alone out here in the IE!!! Maybe we can meetup at Corona Lakes...doh, closed!!!

Shibs, quite a few of my friends and relatives either graduated from Loma Linda U Hospital, or work there.
Quite a small world.

And that fish did come out of soCal!! 

Darn it, in fact I was fishing last Thursday on the Pacific Queen out of Fisherman's Landing and had a chance at some really big fish but just couldn't get a bite this time.  Ended up with 2 smaller (40-60lb fish).  There were 3 fish well over 100lbs.  1 of them definitely over 150lbs.  Somebody remind me we're still in January???????

Hans

alantani

yup, an epic bite of southern california bluefin.  congratulations!!!!!! ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

David Hall

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

TannerCortes