CU-201

Started by Scattergun2570, January 10, 2018, 04:44:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scattergun2570

Just picked one up recently as some of you know...I can see that the level wind,although quite smooth,has no visible oil or grease..do you suggest oil,or grease for this area..keep in mind this will be used in the salt.

Bryan Young

Are use TSI321 or a thinned grease with corrosionX
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Scattergun2570

Quote from: Bryan Young on January 10, 2018, 06:48:07 AM
Are use TSI321 or a thinned grease with corrosionX

So I can thin some Yamalube,and use that? Also,,what consistency am I looking for when I thin it?

RandyMFoster

I have owned a cu 200i for two years using it wading/dock shore fishing. I've tried a mix of grease thinned with oil a few times. Different oils/ greases . I am at the point where I only use corrosion x or prefably tsi oil too. I rinse and  reapply after every outingEven corrosion x hd seemed to attract more gunk. I would grease very very lightly if you do . think 1:10 ratio or less on grease side. Experiment what works for you if you fish from boat and are not geting as close to contaminants I would use more grease then I do for the situations where I fish this reel. There isn't a one size fits all in this situation

Oh one last note be sure you pack the drive shaft bearing with marine grease first thing. I've found it to give me the most trouble. also opening the side plate after an outing add a drop of light oil on the bearing, around the brake drum and spool contact points using a q tip to clean and dry. doing this has worked well for me. Baitcasters in saltwater are alot of work. Best of luck.

Scattergun2570

Quote from: RandyMFoster on January 22, 2018, 07:37:09 PM
I have owned a cu 200i for two years using it wading/dock shore fishing. I've tried a mix of grease thinned with oil a few times. Different oils/ greases . I am at the point where I only use corrosion x or prefably tsi oil too. I rinse and  reapply after every outingEven corrosion x hd seemed to attract more gunk. I would grease very very lightly if you do . think 1:10 ratio or less on grease side. Experiment what works for you if you fish from boat and are not geting as close to contaminants I would use more grease then I do for the situations where I fish this reel. There isn't a one size fits all in this situation

Oh one last note be sure you pack the drive shaft bearing with marine grease first thing. I've found it to give me the most trouble. also opening the side plate after an outing add a drop of light oil on the bearing, around the brake drum and spool contact points using a q tip to clean and dry. doing this has worked well for me. Baitcasters in saltwater are alot of work. Best of luck.

I will be pier,bridge,and dock Fishing with it,,vertical jigging.

handi2

I see plenty of those reels in the shop. Never a levelwind problem. Great reels.

Get a bottle of ReelX, SpeedX, or CorrosionX and keep it handy. It will take care of any corrosion on anything. They are made at the same plant. Just different mixes. TSI oils may be harder for you to get.

Take the handle and drag star off and grease everything on top like he mentioned in the last post. The clutch bearing is under all of these parts and you want to keep the water from getting in the bearing and reel. That bearing will rust quickly.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Scattergun2570

Quote from: handi2 on January 23, 2018, 12:01:09 AM
I see plenty of those reels in the shop. Never a levelwind problem. Great reels.

Get a bottle of ReelX, SpeedX, or CorrosionX and keep it handy. It will take care of any corrosion on anything. They are made at the same plant. Just different mixes. TSI oils may be harder for you to get.

Take the handle and drag star off and grease everything on top like he mentioned in the last post. The clutch bearing is under all of these parts and you want to keep the water from getting in the bearing and reel. That bearing will rust quickly.

Keith,you mentioned filing down the edge on the shaft that's causing the nut to lock up when trying to take it apart,,but what type of file do i need exactly?