Penn experimental/transition boxes. Big thanks to Mike C

Started by 1badf350, January 16, 2018, 09:13:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1badf350

I never would have learned about transition/experimental Penn boxes without Mike's book. When I read about them I fell in love. Now hopefully the reels that came IN these boxes are correct. I added the 60 and 25 to empty boxes.
If anyone knows of any others please let me know.

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

mo65

Well I thought I had committed all of Mike's books to memory...but somehow I missed these transition boxes. It's the metal bands on those old style boxes...right? Thanks for the enlightenment Chris! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

1badf350

Some closeups
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

1badf350

Hey Mo, yes sir they are kinda a blend between the 50s era and the 60s era boxes. You can read about them on pages 215-216 in Mikes blue book.
-Chris

Tightlines667

Pretty cool collection you have there!

I would have never thought to try to put together a complete grouping of these.  I like it.

Another one would be to try to get all of the anniversary boxes, with the stickers on top.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Maxed Out

Very nice collection of transition boxes Chris. Reels all look correct except the long beach 60 looks to be early 1950's. I'd have to see more of it to be certain, but at this point I'm fairly certain it is early 50's reel.....and a darn nice one to boot !!

Ted

We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

54bullseye

That's a nice set you have going Chris !! Did they appear with the bigger Senators as well ?     John Taylor

1badf350

Thats a great question John. I do not know, but as Mike always says, "never say never with Penn".
-Chris

Penn Chronology

QuoteThat's a nice set you have going Chris !! Did they appear with the bigger Senators as well ?     John Taylor

Don't believe they were used bigger than the 9/0. The larger boxes stayed the standard two piece type until the 1960's. Really hard to know what models appear in these boxes, it is a story of discovery. As more are found, we will know. I really feel they were all experimental. basically it is flip top box painted black as a late 1940's & early 1950's color scheme using the old style labels with metal reinforced corners. None of it makes any sense: but, they must have done many of them because they do pop up enough to make them hard to find if you are looking for one; but, right there when you are not.