Ike Walton Club

Started by The Great Maudu, January 10, 2018, 01:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Great Maudu

Here's a better pic of the tail plate engraving. I would guess that would cost upwards of a couple hundred bucks today.

Penn Chronology

QuoteHere's a better pic of the tail plate engraving. I would guess that would cost upwards of a couple hundred bucks today.

It was relatively common to see fine engravings  on expensive reels of the 1920's and 30's. Ocean City reels like the early Ike Walton models were not high end, so it is sort of unusual to see an engraved Ike. I would think the owner of the reel did this. Seeing high quality engraved owners names on vom Hofe, Hardy, Kovalovsky, Coxe and others in that category reel is not unusual at all. Depending on the quality of the engraving and the name of the owner the value may be increased or it can actually detract from the value of an old reel. I would like to have the money back for parts I have had to replace because someone scratched their name into the stand or side plate.

Of course, yours is not a problem, yours is nice and would have attracted me too.

The Great Maudu

Yea the little vibrating engravers are the worse. I keep wondering what the two 12's are all about. Number of kids, 12 big fish, his 12th Ike Walton reel? If only it could talk.

Penn Chronology

QuoteI keep wondering what the two 12's are all about. Number of kids, 12 big fish, his 12th Ike Walton reel? If only it could talk.

Could be anything. Might be Club ID's. A placed where tackle was stored and everyone marked their gear. The meaning is only limited to your imagination. If you take the reel apart and find more #12's on the inside, then it is a factory assembly  number for the reel. In the old days, reels were hand fitted, assembly numbers were assigned to each reel part to keep the parts together with the reel they were fitted to. You see this with vom Hofe reels all the time.

You may never have an answer for those numbers; but, you can always do some creative writing about the possibilities.................<:O)

happyhooker

I wonder if "Ike Walton" is a reference to Izaak Walton, writer of "The Compleat Angler"?

Frank

Penn Chronology

QuoteI wonder if "Ike Walton" is a reference to Izaak Walton, writer of "The Compleat Angler"?

Exactly, the one and only Izaak Walton is Ike. He was an Moskowitz & Herbach, Ocean City and vom Hofe hero. I believe the Complete Angler is still in print today, it is one of the most edited books of all time. Here is a quote from an Ocean City article I wrote a few years ago.

""          Izaak Walton was a 17th Century author. He penned many works but his most famous work was titled "The Complete Angler". The story of Izaak Walton could easily take over this piece, so, suffice to say, Mr Walton had an amazingly long life, especially when you consider the times he lived in England. He was born in 1594 (approximately) and died in 1683. His work, The Complete Angler, was a study of sport fishing from his own personal experiences and experiences of some of his friends. It was first published in 1653. For the next 25 years, Izaak Walton continued to add to his original work. Many updated editions were written by Mr. Walton before his death. The fifth edition of The Complete Angler was written in 1676 and had grown the work from its original length of 13 chapters to 21 chapters, but his death did not mark the end of his work in the marketplace. The Complete Angler has never been out of print. I do not know how many editions of this work exist but over 300 years after the passing of Mr. Walton, The Complete Angler is still being published, as a matter of fact, the last edition I know of was released in 2003 and is currently for sale online. Izaak Walton was a pioneer in terms of documenting his fishing techniques and satisfying feelings a fisherman may have about our sport.""

The Great Maudu

I too have wondered who Ike Walton. I had heard of Izaak Walton and his book but didn't put two and two together. Thank you Mike for sharing your knowledge here on this thread.

Crow

We have an "Izaak Walton League" chapter, close to us (Northwester Illinois). Those "clubs" were once quite widespread, and were among the first to promote the "adopt a stream" programs. The one in Illinois (near Geneseo, Il.) is located on the Hennepin Canal, and has a boat launch, and small camping area.
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Carl L

The "great maudu" stated that the engraving would cost upwards of a couple hundred bucks,(I think he meant the engraving) Actually, if anyone is interested in this type of engraving; a place called "things remembered" (in most big shopping malls) engraves all kinds of irregular stuff like zippo's and letter openers/picture frames for around $20.. A reel should be no problem

Penn Chronology

QuoteThank you Mike for sharing your knowledge here on this thread.

My pleasure.