I Can't Find an Excuse to Open It!

Started by mo65, January 10, 2018, 06:11:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

Dont see many Older spinning reels that catch my attention. But Mike this one of yours did. Something about it just looks cool & the innards are of a good design.... Jeff

Rivverrat

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 10, 2018, 10:34:33 PM
Nice reel Mo! I got a bunch of messed up Dam reels with cracked housings, bent spool shaft and so on. I was surprised to see that the gears are still good  so far. Those are similar to the the gears on this Shakespeare...great design.

Sal

Ran into a few of these Quicks with bent shafts. Friend thinks it might be an issue with their heat treatment... But this is just him thinking.... Jeff

Alto Mare

Quote from: Rivverrat on January 11, 2018, 09:01:57 AM
Nice reel Mo! I got a bunch of messed up Dam reels with cracked housings, bent spool shaft and so on. I was surprised to see that the gears are still good  so far. Those are similar to the the gears on this Shakespeare...great design.

Sal

Ran into a few of these Quicks with bent shafts. Friend thinks it might be an issue with their heat treatment... But this is just him thinking.... Jeff
I'm not sure if your friend statement is accurate or not, I'm new to these. We do have Fred here, he probably has opened a few hundred Quick, maybe thousands, he could tell us.

In all fairness to my statement above, I don't believe the damage on the Quick that I just acquired recently was caused by fishing.
Here is a pic of two:

and here is one with the bent spool shaft:

It appears to me these were scooped up by some type of machine, maybe a BOBCAT.
If it did happen fishing, I don't even want to think what happened to the guy at the other end :-\.
I'm cleaning parts gradually, gears look new on all that I've done so far. Not sure if they feel right yet, but I do examine them very closely and everything looks good so far.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mo65

Quote from: Midway Tommy on January 11, 2018, 03:14:13 AM
I've worked on a lot of gray & maroon Shakes and haven't come across any notable rust, yet. Maybe I have just been lucky. Have about ten medium & large Shakes to do yet, maybe I won't continue to be so lucky.  :-\ 

I think it all depends on where they were fished Tommy. The 2091A pictured below is a good rust demo. I'm figuring the rusty ones are saltwater reels. If I ever do tear into my little 2052 I may try bluing the parts...with gun bluing.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 11, 2018, 11:55:40 AM
Quote from: Rivverrat on January 11, 2018, 09:01:57 AM

Sal

I'm not sure if your friend statement is accurate or not, I'm new to these. We do have Fred here, he probably has opened a few hundred Quick, maybe thousands, he could tell us.

In all fairness to my statement above, I don't believe the damage on the Quick that I just acquired recently was caused by fishing.

Sal

Those reels are just good for parts, Sal.  Like you are doing -- just take them completely apart -- clean all good parts -- toss anything busted (it is just a waste of space and time) -- put what is left and good into a ziploc labeled with what reel it is and perhaps what it needs to bring it back to whole -- then look for other donor reels on ebay so someday these parts will be useful for either restoring another purchase, or vice-versa.

It is so rare on these old Quicks for a shaft to bend when fishing (almost impossible because the STEEL shaft is frame supported at the rear, frame/bearing supported at the front, plus supported within a steel worm 2" gear) -- because the frame or spool would go before the shaft ever failed.

Of course, anything is possible -- but the damage to Sal's box of reels was most likely done while fishing (involved a 18 pack suitcase of Budweiser and backing over it with an F-250).

These parts that Sal has are useful and valuable -- plus the spools are above gold.  Good purchase.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Rivverrat

Out of my pile of 270's I only have one thats a parts reel. A few more with my Finessa's.

I'm sure Fred has these.... I've a pile of gears for 270's & various other Quick reels if needed.
How ever this is one of many parts that dont need replacement much on these reels.... Jeff

happyhooker

Very interesting; just intensifies my interest in the 2052 & 2062.  Good work, guys!

Frank

mo65

Quote from: festus on January 10, 2018, 08:56:07 PM
Here's an ad from 1968.  They were $35 at the time. 

Thanks for posting that ad Festus. I was wondering about the gear ratio on this reel. My hands recorded about 4.5: 1...but the ad says 4.7:1...excellent! 8)

mo65

I was curious about the drag stack on this reel...so I popped her open. It was pretty clean, and dry, a leather 3-stack. The under spool washer is the same leather as in the spool. The first pic shows it had some green goop between the spool and last leather disc. In the second photo I cleaned that up and lapped the washers a little as they had some light scratches. I didn't have any carbon fiber even close to fit. Dawn at Smooth Drag has a size that would work, I'll probably order those if my experiment fails. I smeared a coat of Cal's on every washer...even the one under the spool. Right now it's slick as snot, we'll see how it fares after some time on the water. 8)

mo65

I spooled her up today. I used 15lb. Seagar Kanzen with a 12ft. leader of Stren high impact 10lb. mono. Heap big medicine for an ultralight...but...where it will be fished there's always the chance of a big bass or musky grabbing it. I'd love to see that happen. 8)

foakes

Beautiful job and preparation, Mike!

You made that old soldier a working reel and more capable than when it was new.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Beautiful reel, Mike. Almost too pretty to fish with.  :)

QuoteI didn't have any carbon fiber even close to fit.

I've had this thought for awhile so I'm gonna throw it out there for some comments. There are a lot of different diameter drag washers out there, especially in the older spinning reels, but this could apply to bait casters, too. Why couldn't a guy get some various size empty high brass shotgun shells and rifle brass and file the edge of the brass sharp enough to cut through the CF sheets for the all round washers? The shotgun brass would be larger than some punch sets. I would think a couple of twists and a good smack with a hammer would make a fairly clean cut right through the fiber. Then, a little edge touch up with a sanding block. Costs? .....0 for the tools. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oc1

You can cut the stuff with some scissors or snips Tommy.  If the edges are a little ragged it really doesn't matter because it's the surface doing the work.  To me, the issue is whether you want the reel to be original or to have fancy-smancy carbon fiber washers.  Leather can be very smooth and give you more than enough drag for the task at hand.

That old advert makes the 2052 look tiny.  Is it smaller than the smallest Penn or DAM spinner from that era? Thank you for sharing.
-steve

mo65

Quote from: oc1 on January 19, 2018, 07:32:18 PM
That old advert makes the 2052 look tiny.  Is it smaller than the smallest Penn or DAM spinner from that era?

It falls right into the Penn 420ss/Mitchell 308/ DAM Quick 110 camp...same size.
It has flown under the radar for years. There's nothing the above mentioned reels can do that this one won't do too...other than cost you $100 or more.

foakes

The 2052 is a very small reel -- and it is around the same size as many others in the Microlight category.

Just pulled a few out of one of the Microlight bins slated for the next time I have a yard or trade show sale.

This gives an idea of the size differences.

The 2052 is 8 ounces.

Others in this class are 6 to 10 ounces.

The lightest weight isn't necessarily an indicator of micro-quality, however.

The engineering in a Shakes 2052, DAM 265, DAM 110, DAM 1000, Alcedo Micron, Penn 716 -- are all over- built wormdrive, large main bearing, steel component type quality Microlights.  

So they run a little heavier than a graphite Microlight -- but are of superior quality.

These tend to sell very well any time I offer them at a yard sale -- because of the trout streams and lakes we have in our area.  Good for backpacking, stream, lake, and pond fishing.

IMO, nothing better than one of these little guys mounted on a 5' Fenwick, Eagle Claw, Ugly Stik, or similar light rod -- with a 1/8 ounce Panther Martin, Roostertail, or Super-Duper on the other end.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.