I Can't Find an Excuse to Open It!

Started by mo65, January 10, 2018, 06:11:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Quote from: foakes on January 19, 2018, 10:41:24 PM

The engineering in a Shakes 2052, DAM 265, DAM 110, DAM 1000, Alcedo Micron, Penn 716 -- are all over- built wormdrive, large main bearing, steel component type quality Microlights.  

Best,

Fred
You are right Fred! not sure about the Shakespeare 2052, I never held one, but did for most of the others mentioned and I agree...over-built for sure.

Sal 
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Gfish

Quote from: Midway Tommy on January 19, 2018, 06:06:22 PM
Beautiful reel, Mike. Almost too pretty to fish with.  :)

QuoteI didn't have any carbon fiber even close to fit.

I've had this thought for awhile so I'm gonna throw it out there for some comments. There are a lot of different diameter drag washers out there, especially in the older spinning reels, but this could apply to bait casters, too. Why couldn't a guy get some various size empty high brass shotgun shells and rifle brass and file the edge of the brass sharp enough to cut through the CF sheets for the all round washers? The shotgun brass would be larger than some punch sets. I would think a couple of twists and a good smack with a hammer would make a fairly clean cut right through the fiber. Then, a little edge touch up with a sanding block. Costs? .....0 for the tools. 
Great idea Midway! I been kickin this around for awhile, mainly 'cause a the price for tool sets that'er avalible, but couldn't think a nothin. Steve's right: even the 1mm thick carbon-tex can be cut with a tin-snips, but I really want that even circumference,  especially on the i.d. Besides it really is labor and time intensive when I do mine and they don't look to good, but...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

mo65

I was just reading Gfish's comment and realized...that inside dia. on the 2052's washers was 7mm. A 7mm Remington would put me right in business.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

festus

This little 2052 came in the mail yesterday afternoon.  It isn't as clean as Mike's but I'm happy with it. The white spool has some discoloration to it but other than removing it and checking it out, I haven't done anything else to the reel.

Got a question about the spool.  Looks like somebody jerryrigged a pipe cleaner inside the channel and tucked it into two holes.  What's going on here, is something missing? Really difficult to tell what's going on looking at the schematic.

Gfish

Seen that before. Always thought that it was a factory thing, and was at times, replaced with standard issue pipe cleaners after wearing out. I guess it's supposed ta keep out debris & water from the rotor. Nice lookin reel. Are shakys gonna become a thing?
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

mo65

Yes guys, that is a pipe cleaner. It's not jerry rigged...like G said...it's to wipe out debris. Here are pics of the 2052 instruction manual, this may come in handy. 8)

festus

Wow, learn something every day.  Thanks for the instruction manual, Mike.  Also I noticed in the schematic you posted the screw that connects the slide and washer to the drive gear is left handed thread.  I popped the cover plate off and looks and smells  like this reel had been serviced last with a combination of Vaseline and 3-in-1 oil. 

mo65

Quote from: festus on February 04, 2018, 10:05:05 PM
I noticed in the schematic you posted the screw that connects the slide and washer to the drive gear is left handed thread. 

Yep, it sure is. And the pin to the slide practically falls out. Enjoy your reel Festus! 8)

Midway Tommy

3mm chenilles work the best but they're pretty tough to find, especially in red. I had to pick mine up on da Bay a few years back, and I was lucky just to find them. Most of the time you just see 6mm, and they're plenty tight.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

mo65

Quote from: Midway Tommy on February 05, 2018, 01:09:06 AM
3mm chenilles work the best but they're pretty tough to find, especially in red. I had to pick mine up on da Bay a few years back, and I was lucky just to find them. Most of the time you just see 6mm, and they're plenty tight.   

Hey Tommy, would these 4mm work alright?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chenilles-Pipe-Cleaners-Assorted-4mm-x-150mm-30-Per-Pack/112056296670?hash=item1a171364de:g:SKIAAOSwns9bUax9

Midway Tommy

Quote from: mo65 on March 24, 2019, 08:58:27 PM
Quote from: Midway Tommy on February 05, 2018, 01:09:06 AM

Hey Tommy, would these 4mm work alright?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chenilles-Pipe-Cleaners-Assorted-4mm-x-150mm-30-Per-Pack/112056296670?hash=item1a171364de:g:SKIAAOSwns9bUax9

Honestly, Mike, 3mm are pretty snug. They'll fit in the groove but rub on the rotor. They would wear/compact eventually, I think. I don't use mine, they just catch case fish  :D so they haven't compressed much, yet. There are a lot more 3mm options out there now , compared to when I got mine but I was looking for red. I ended up buying some fly tying chenille for a couple of my reels like the Micro, Erie 2CS & Cardinals that require really small diameter chenille,

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

newfuturevintage

This thread is making me want to fish my 2052. I pulled it out of a "free" box in front of a campsite at a kayak fishing event, so I grabbed it.

It was barely moving when I got it, and I knew nothing about its innards. Before servicing it correctly, (I am, in fact, lazy), I gave it a 3-1'ing which it responded to really well. I fished it a couple times and was really impressed with how nice it felt.

I really should do a tear down correctly soon; it's a great little reel.

mo65

Quote from: newfuturevintage on March 25, 2019, 04:00:00 PM
I gave it a 3-1'ing which it responded to really well. I fished it a couple times and was really impressed with how nice it felt. I really should do a tear down correctly soon; it's a great little reel.

I bet that 3-in-One treatment has loosened up the crud well...should making your cleanup easier!

Quote from: Midway Tommy on March 25, 2019, 01:38:18 AM
Honestly, Mike, 3mm are pretty snug.

OK...gotcha...thanks buddy.

festus

I'd been needing another spool for a 2052 for several months.  My best looking 2052 had a tarnished spool that the clicker tongue was missing.  Don't like a fish pulling drag without that audible click!  NIB 2052 spools have been going for $10-$15 plus shipping.  From the pics I saw online, the spools looked better than either of the two I already had.

So I'd been waiting patiently for almost a year for some parts reels.  Got three from ebay delivered today.  Don't really know if I paid too much, but those three cost just a dollar or two more than my first reel.

These reels were really stiff, one wouldn't crank at all.  The anti-reverse wasn't functioning on one of them.  But other than all three missing their badge, one missing one cover plate screw, they looked decent out of the box, not too much scuffing.

This afternoon I picked the one with the missing screw to service.  Yep, every 2052 I've ever worked on has had old brown grease set up like concrete.

Pull out the pin, then pull out the axle.

The level wind screw has left handed threads.

The main gear was really in there, but I got it out.

The rotor nut took a while to get out also.

I dreaded getting the snap ring out, but it wasn't much of a problem.

The bail assembly was working very well, but I figured it needed cleaning anyway.

These old Royal Maroons always have a gob of grease right here.  ::)

I got everything but the bail trip assembly out, I couldn't find a 7/32 or 15/64 wrench handy.

I used Dawn, Simple Green, lacquer thinner, and a little Purple Power citrus cleaner on the dirty parts.

Does the anti-reverse look any better after cleaning?

I used SuperLube on this one.

Got the bearing back in with no problem.  Not sure this was the original bearing--it was Made in Japan?  ??? :o

The main gear went back into place much easier than it came out.

It's working like a brand new one.  Makes me wonder if they were any smoother straight off the shelf in the late 1960s/early 1970s.  I suspect the other two will clean up as well as this one. 

Midway Tommy

Well done, Chester!

Go pick yourself up a set of Craftsman SAE ignition wrenches. They're not expensive and they work great on all those minuscule nuts & bolts in the old spinners. I use mine on just about every reel I service. Once you have a set you'll never have yo worry about buggering up any of those little nuts or bolts.  ;)

https://www.etsy.com/listing/707536477/10-piece-craftsman-combination-ignition?gpla=1&gao=1&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_a-craft_supplies_and_tools-tools_and_equipment-tools-wrenches_ratchets_and_sockets-other&utm_custom1=0091aa35-b4d1-4cac-84c0-9a1dec3d97b9&utm_content=go_1843970764_76535548504_346429178318_pla-322226803184_c__707536477&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3IarlZaz4gIVHLnACh1j6ggaEAQYGiABEgLR-PD_BwE

Tommy D (ORCA), NE