Acquired a rod with a "Spoofer" reel seat

Started by Jenx, January 11, 2018, 12:05:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenx

I was hoping maybe you guys could answer a couple of questions I have. I acquired an old Sabre rod (I.G.F.A. 80lb class) that has a unique reel seat on it that is stamped "Spoofer seat".

Anyone know what decade these seats were made? Can a reel be mounted to one of these seats with a regular stock clamp, or is a special clamp required?

And one last question: Are these vintage Sabre rods still capable of catching fish, or do they get brittle with age? I've never owned an older rod before, and I want to know if I can actually still fish this rod, not that I have any use for an 80lb rod, or if it's just better off staying in the rod rack as a conversation piece?

Thanks.

54bullseye

I have one like it. This is a guess but I think late 50s through the 60s maybe even into 70s. As far as mounting Penn rod clamp bolts through the holes with washers and nuts will hold reel on. And I think the rod would be fine to use just keep in mind it isn't one of todays power house rods and you will be fine !! 
Good luck with it !!!  PS probably a 6/0 Senator or 9/0 would work good.   John Taylot

xjchad

Very cool looking rod and reel seat! 
I'd like to know more as well!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Jenx

Thanks bullseye. I just mounted my US113n on it. It was a little tight screwing it on, but it fits and it looks like there is still enough room in the cradle to bump it up to a reel larger than a 4/0.

The seat definitely adds weight to the rod, but the lower profile does feel nice.

Swami805

Those Sabre's are thick walled and should fish as well as the day it was new. Just service the rollers so they turn and you're good to go. Thanks for posting, Looks to be in nice shape.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

The Great Maudu

I have a couple of those spoofer seats. They will take up to a penn 9/0. I might be wrong but I believe they were made up into the 80's. As for fishing your rod, check the blank very closely for any imperfections or defects such as cracks, deep abrasions etc. check the windings to make sure the guides are fixed tight to the blank. Check the rollers and lube lightly. Check the butt area to make certain there are no cracks and the grips are tight. Finally plant the butt on the floor and grab the tip. Begin flexing the rod as if you have a fish on. I start with small movements first and listen carefully for any cracking or popping. You might hear some if the blank hasn't  flexed in awhile.  Just check each time that everything is in order. Finally, give it a Mighty bend such as a large fish might do. If all components are sound and in good good order you can fish that rod for big game fish and have a lot of fun doing it.

Jenx

Quote from: The Great Maudu on January 11, 2018, 03:01:32 PM
I have a couple of those spoofer seats. They will take up to a penn 9/0. I might be wrong but I believe they were made up into the 80's. As for fishing your rod, check the blank very closely for any imperfections or defects such as cracks, deep abrasions etc. check the windings to make sure the guides are fixed tight to the blank. Check the rollers and lube lightly. Check the butt area to make certain there are no cracks and the grips are tight. Finally plant the butt on the floor and grab the tip. Begin flexing the rod as if you have a fish on. I start with small movements first and listen carefully for any cracking or popping. You might hear some if the blank hasn't  flexed in awhile.  Just check each time that everything is in order. Finally, give it a Mighty bend such as a large fish might do. If all components are sound and in good good order you can fish that rod for big game fish and have a lot of fun doing it.

Thanks for the feedback. I checked the rod in the sunlight and I saw no signs of deep scratches or cracks in the blank, just some cracking and flaking of the clear coat in spots, as would be expected of a rod this old.

The rollers seem to be free of corrosion, and none of them are obviously loose. As for bending the rod, this being an old school glass rod rated for 80lbs, its about as thick as a pool cue and there isn't a whole lot of bend to it, but I didn't hear any sounds from what little I could bend. I think it's good to go. Thanks.

As someone who doesn't venture out any further than half day boats the trick for me will be in finding a use for this rod, but for the price it was hard to pass up.