Multiple piece rod storage?

Started by pjstevko, January 11, 2018, 02:09:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjstevko

What's the proper way to store multi piece fishing rods?

Is it bad to store it put together?

Is there any special maintenance that should be done to the furrells before storing the rods?

Thanks for any info

Pj

Bryan Young

Hi PJ

Honestly, the best way to store or travel with multisectional rods it to have each segment in its own storage sleeve. For example, when I used to wrap custom fishing rods, my girlfriend at the time would make me rod bags. These are long slender bags to slide the fishing rod in after it's washed. They were normally make of fliece as it would wick away moisture while being a breathable cloth so allow the rods to dry in the bag. As I digress.  Well, for multisectional Rods, the bags would be made wider and close the length I. The middle allowing for two pouches in a bag. One for the tip and the other for the butt. That way the rod pieces stays together but have something in between to prevent the tip and butt section from damaging each other from scratches, microvibrations,...

That is what I recommend. Especially for expensive rods.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tiddlerbasher

What Bryan said plus - I keep all of my bagged travel rods in their own plastic tubes (not quite crush proof but you would have to run over it). Alot of modern travel rods come in their own tubes like the Shimano STC series (System Travel Concept iirc)

pjstevko

The reason I ask is I bought a 2 piece 8ft surf rod and want to be able to safely travel with it.

I like the idea of the two section fleece bag..... Anyone know where I can buy one?

Bryan Young

Just searched ebay and nothing.  Probably the best thing would be if you know someone that sews and ask them to make them for you.  The other best option is to go to a sewing store, ask someone that works there or who is buying material if they would be willing to make one for your for a price.  You pay for the materials and they sew the bags for you, and pay them when you get the bag.  Make sure you leave room for the largest guide.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

I use a cotton sock material and then store them in the racks.
When I'm ready to pack up, I put them in the sport tube and don't have to worry.
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

Quote from: Shark Hunter on January 11, 2018, 10:08:56 PM
When I'm ready to pack up, I put them in the sport tube and don't have to worry.

I guess I'm going to the fabric store with my wife now.

foakes

Quote from: Shark Hunter on Today at 03:08:56 PM

Fabric stores are too expensive, Bryan...

Just go to WalMart or Dollar General -- get some cheap flannel bedding sheets on sale -- then take them to your local uniform store.  They will sew them up for you while you wait for about $10.

Then take your beautiful wife out for dinner -- with the $$$ you have left over from not having to offset her next major purchase in repayment your little sewing job.

Been there, done that, got the shirt. 😄😄😄

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

pjstevko

Quote from: Shark Hunter on January 11, 2018, 10:08:56 PM

I see a nice big roll of the material you use, is it already in tube form?

Bryan Young

Bryan Young

Quote from: foakes on January 11, 2018, 11:10:13 PM
Quote from: Shark Hunter on Today at 03:08:56 PM

Fabric stores are too expensive, Bryan...

Just go to WalMart or Dollar General -- get some cheap flannel bedding sheets on sale -- then take them to your local uniform store.  They will sew them up for you while you wait for about $10.

Then take your beautiful wife out for dinner -- with the $$$ you have left over from not having to offset her next major purchase in repayment your little sewing job.

Been there, done that, got the shirt. 😄😄😄

Best,

Fred

If I do that my wife will get pissed. She would say why you didn't ask me and give me the $10.

Maybe I should encourage her make a few to sell.

Shark Hunter

Yes.
I obtain this from my work.
I can send you a roll.
I just ask for shipping cost, because it probably weighs 5 lbs.
The roll I'm showing is about 1/2 used.
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

pjstevko

Quote from: Shark Hunter on January 12, 2018, 01:28:56 AM
Yes.
I obtain this from my work.
I can send you a roll.
I just ask for shipping cost, because it probably weighs 5 lbs.
The roll I'm showing is about 1/2 used.

If you'd be willing to do that is really appreciated it. Do you think it'd fit larger surf fishing guides?

I can PayPal gift you whatever price you want.... Just pm me your email address and I'll gift you the $$$$

alantani

pj, i've got a bunch and i can look and match something up for you.  i need the overall length and the circumference at the widest point for each piece.   i also need your mailing address for shipping. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!