Classic aftco double roller problem

Started by livinus2, January 15, 2018, 11:55:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

livinus2

Hi there
Aftco rollers have a great reputation, but I have an issue with the classic lightweight double roller.(the one with the semi-circle frame). There is quite some distance between the top roller  and the lower roller
I have experienced that a slack  line can slip sideways away from the rollers  and get stuck on the frame when there is a pull on the line . Not between the roller and the frame, but lenghtwise.
It happens more often with thin lines (20 or 30 lb), but had it happen with 80 also.
I find it strange that such an obvious design fault was not corrected straight away.
Any comments on this one?
Greetings
Livinus

conchydong

Are you fishing with braid or mono? The Aftco roller guides were originally designed to be used with mono. They have made some improvements with the roller itself to be more compatible with braid but there is still a chance of it getting caught between the roller and frame. If you are using mono, then the frame must have spread from the roller and must be re-aligned.

Scott

edit: I just realized that you clearly stated that the line is not catching between the roller and frame, so my answer may not be relevant. I am not picturing how it is catching "lengthwise". Perhaps a staged picture would help clarify it. Sorry for the mix up.

Swami805

Aftco rollers were never that great. They had a bulletproof patent for many years so there weren't any other roller guides to buy   Their patent expired so there's more choices now. Those rod rollers were made for mono so light line can get in the space. You can pull the wheel out and bend the tabs in a bit at that might help
Do what you can with that you have where you are

livinus2

Hi Scott
I use mono or dacron. The problem is not the gap between the roller and frame. Never had a problem here with mono or dacron, although  I understand that thin braid could get stuck. My problem is  line that gets on the outside of the (top) roller and, liying on the side of the roller where the screw head sticks out,  gets caught lenghtwise when the line gets tout again. Usualy the line springs back into the rollers, but not always.
Greetings
Livinus

gstours

Yes I agree that the thinner lines (braid or small mono) can and do get caught between the frame and roller.   Its a double problem when you are fi
shing these with a novice, or a weak person as many fish here are lost when the rod is set on the rail or otherwise allowed the rod to tip over on one side or the other.  Pow the fish line is frayed and broken and jammed.  It happens way too fast and then the fish of a lifetime for some chartered folks is gone.
   I have switched a lot of roller guides (even the tops) to regular ring guides for charter fishermen through the years.   Personally I really like and reccomend the Aftco Lite series of graphite guides.  These are lightweight and having a single foot (other than the stripper) never break from flex fatigue,  The tops only go to size 14 though.......Ive Never had a line ever get caught anongside the roller ever.  Its a better design for lines like braid under a hundred pounds.     Just sayin.

oc1

There was a time when the criticism of those AFTCO guides was that a splice could get stuck between the rollers because there was not enough room to pass.  So, when you got over about 100# line you needed to consider switching to something larger gap like Mildrum.
-steve

gstours

It seemed to be a good design Aftco had for the period when dacron and mono  was being used.  Braid wasn,t even in anybodys tackle box back then.    When everything is vertical (rod n reel)  all seems fine when the rod is loaded.  Butt when the rod is rolled to the side accidently generally the line can knife iits way to the outside if the v roller and side frame.  A true wedgee.  ???  My thoughts is the guide should be designed with shoulders and clearances so the line cannot slip beside the roller.    Seems like most newer high end guides have that now?      I,m done.

conchydong

OK, I had to think about this. If I understand correctly the line is getting caught on the external screw heads of the stripper guide (double roller). Strange, but perhaps you are using the rod for fast jigging or you are trolling fast and the bait/lure is slingshotting creating some brief line slackage and it is catching on the screws.

Perhaps, you can slip a heavy duty rubberband over the guide and covering the screws and creating a side panel at the same time. You will have to put it on before feeding the line through though. Just wrapping some electrical tape would be easy but you would have to deal with the sticky goo on the guides.

My attempts at "paint brushing" aren't that good but the first is what  I think you are explaining on how the line is catching and the second is a heavy duty thick rubber band or something similar stretched over the guide to hold the line inside the frame. Location of the placement of the rubber band would be important.

Tightlines667

I personally like the AFTCO rollers the best.  All of my rods have them.  The big foots have plenty of space for a chain knot, and the stripper is high enough off of the blank that the input angle is minimal on Big Game trolling rods fishing 100-130lb mono and 100-130lb solid and holo core spectra, spoiled on 80 or 130 class reels.  I have never had a problem with spectra spilling off of the rollers, though it looks like it may be possible.  Of course my rods are in swivel rod holders when trolling, and mono is on the rollers during the strike, such that the rod tip us always pointed at the line.  When fighting a fish, either from the rod holder, fighting chair, or fighting belt/harness, the gimbal keeps the rod perpendicular, and the rod holder, chair turning, or angler will keep the rod pointed at the fish with the rid tip always bent.  The AFTCO guides have good corrosion resistance, performance, and serviceability (parts availability).  I am not a fan of the Stuart or Pac Bay Guides, but the Alps and more expensive mildrum seem to be of high quality.  All of the local rod builders I have talked to favor the AFTCO bigfoots over all others for trolling rods.  Of course most guys are using heavy mono, while some use some dacron or spectra backing.  However, there is one local guy that builds cheap stubbies with all PacBay components.  

Having said all that, maybe these guides could benefit from a design change to address this possible issue with the smaller diameter super braids.

Just my opinions.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

conchydong

I've never experienced a problem like Livinus is describing. I have had spectra get caught in the roller tip between the roller and frame. This occurred on a deep drop rod with a swivel tip. Never had a problem with any of the regular roller guides but I do not have the ones the OP is referring to as all of mine are the heavys and bigfoots. To solve the problem of the spectra at the roller tip, while on the boat, I placed the line in a drinking straw and stuck that into the roller tip frame on the reel side of the rod. The straw kept the line centered on the roller. I also love the Aftcos, but Winthrops are the  cats  rear end now days.