alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Being a good husband and father
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
February 22, 2018, 12:57:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Being a good husband and father  (Read 750 times)
ReelFishingProblems

Nick - Valrico, FL

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2018, 02:11:17 PM »

Jim,
I second wanting to see that rod!
Thanks for the tip on reverse wrapping. Iíll have to try it out on the next project (hopefully starting soon, either a 10-20 inshore rod or a Sabre SM50)

I put a cobia decal on this rod. Set on top of epoxy with a second coat over the top. Not sure why, but it looks a little cheap to me. Maybe the choice of backdrop color, maybe the placement. Will have to keep messing around and looking at examples
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 02:13:00 PM by ReelFishingProblems » Logged
thorhammer

"You can't drank all day if you don't start..."

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2018, 02:56:37 PM »

I cut the fish out but that brings its own issues with the fins lifting after add epoxy... Iím sending you an inshore blank with your yak rod donít forget.
ReelFishingProblems

Nick - Valrico, FL

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2018, 03:35:34 PM »

I used small curved scissors to cut the fish out too. One fin is slightly raised creating a raised part of epoxy. The contrast between the decal and the black underneath is almost too extreme.

I donít know what to say John, thanks you. I guess I know which project is next
Jim Fujitani

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2018, 07:43:50 AM »

Jim weíd love to see that fly rod if you have it!

When I rebuilt the rod, I totally brought it up to date, for a wrapped 1970's rod.  It originally had that black lacquer painted on, and snake guides.  I stripped it to the bare cane and varnished the cane before wrapping.  As I recall, I may have even had to build up the area under the reel seat.  The only original material left is the cane, oh and that distinctive wooden case that those Occupied Japan rods came in.

I'll try to find the case and rod in my garage.  You know the saying, out of sight, out of mind.  Well, I haven't seen the case since '95.....
steelfish
the Baja Guy
Sensei

Sea of Cortez

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2018, 10:10:49 AM »

...... so being the good husband I set up a hand wrapping station on the dining room kitchen to be close to the family.

haha that was nice, I actually do the same but on the living room, but I didnt set up a hand wrapping station, I just take my mobile-wrapping station to watch boring-love story movies with my wife while Im working at rods at the same time, when I finish a section and wanted to stop then I just put all the accesories inside the portatile rod wrapping box and store it on my cabinet.

I dont wrap on my lap but on a small foldable table from costco and I seat on the living room coach
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=18922.0

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: