Cleaning Old Grease

Started by Scattergun2570, January 11, 2018, 02:38:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

philaroman

Where does MEK fit in the list of solvents?
some swear by it to clean all-steel bearings w/ shields in place
can't even find it, anymore -- what's "MEK Substitute"?
don't care if fake MEK is less toxic -- is it equally effective/aggressive as a solvent?

Quote from: PacRat on January 11, 2018, 08:37:49 PM
I typically just wipe it off with a rag. Is this sufficient? The reason I'm asking is that I have noticed over time (year+) that my Yamaha and Penn blue grease tend to turn brown. Is this normal or is this because it's not playing well with the WD-40?
Mike

not a chemist -- can't be precise, but whatever it is in WD-40 chemical composition that breaks down old lube, also degrades fresh lube...  I'm sure it's not much after a wipe-down, but why have ANY?

BTW, if you use WD-40 for its intended purpose (water displacement) on the outside of a reel, you should never spray directly, to prevent it from seeping in -- wipe it on w/ a rag

Tightlines667

MEK is about as hardcore of a solvent as you can (sometimes) purchase over the counter.  It will dissolve alot of stuff, and is toxic,  so care is needed in its use, and proper disposal.  I use it to deoil/dewax cured fiberglass before painting/repairing.  Never used it on any reels.  I have used HCL on bad corrosion, but that is another story.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

PacRat

I'm with you guys on the mineral spirits. It use to be my go-to but living here in California I'm not seeing it on the shelves anymore. Do you guys know of any place in CA that still sells it?
Mike

Keta

Quote from: alantani on January 11, 2018, 10:28:22 PM
just don't use gasoline!!!!!   ;D

A long time ago it was a solvent not a fuel and it works well, just make sure you are in a well ventilated area far away from ignition sources.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

philaroman

Quote from: Tightlines666 on January 12, 2018, 02:23:36 AM
MEK is about as hardcore of a solvent as you can (sometimes) purchase over the counter.  It will dissolve alot of stuff, and is toxic,  so care is needed in its use, and proper disposal.  I use it to deoil/dewax cured fiberglass before painting/repairing.  Never used it on any reels.  I have used HCL on bad corrosion, but that is another story.

John

MEK was recommended for a very specific situation:
rough all-steel double-shielded bearings, when you can't/won't remove the shields

Tightlines667

Quote from: philaroman on January 12, 2018, 03:46:29 AM
Quote from: Tightlines666 on January 12, 2018, 02:23:36 AM
MEK is about as hardcore of a solvent as you can (sometimes) purchase over the counter.  It will dissolve alot of stuff, and is toxic,  so care is needed in its use, and proper disposal.  I use it to deoil/dewax cured fiberglass before painting/repairing.  Never used it on any reels.  I have used HCL on bad corrosion, but that is another story.

John

MEK was recommended for a very specific situation:
rough all-steel double-shielded bearings, when you can't/won't remove the shields

It works as a great solvent.  Just read the MSDS, and be careful working with it. 

Gasoline is also a great solvent.  Used it exclusively for reels, and engine parts when I was younger.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

oc1

I haven't used anything except naphtha for a while now.  It dissolves the grease, dries/evaporates quickly, doesn't leave a residue, not too toxic to handle.  I usually make a mess so naphtha is about the strongest thing I am comfortable using.  All the sprays are creepy to me.  You can't use them without getting a good whiff of the stuff.  I don't know where naphtha would fall on a grease dissolving scale.  Way, way below MEK for sure.  Below lacquer thinner.  Similar to or a little better than mineral spirits.  Better than the soaps or simple green.
-steve

Alto Mare

Quote from: oc1 on January 12, 2018, 09:12:33 AM
I haven't used anything except naphtha for a while now.  It dissolves the grease, dries/evaporates quickly, doesn't leave a residue, not too toxic to handle.  I usually make a mess so naphtha is about the strongest thing I am comfortable using.  All the sprays are creepy to me.  You can't use them without getting a good whiff of the stuff.  I don't know where naphtha would fall on a grease dissolving scale.  Way, way below MEK for sure.  Below lacquer thinner.  Similar to or a little better than mineral spirits.  Better than the soaps or simple green.
-steve
You would really like Paslode cleaner then, Steve.  Paslode cleaner is mostly Naphtha.
You get the added bonus of having it in under pressure in a can. When used with the straw, I haven't found anything better to clean ball bearing...and the rest of the parts on the reel of course.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

oc1

I shopped for it on line once before Sal and found I'd be much better off buying it off the shelf in Honolulu.  Then I forgot about it before getting to town.  My wife says I'm roofing a house next month so that will provide several opportunities to pick some up.  Thanks for the reminder.
-steve

swill88

I've got about an eighth can of MEK on my shelf. The fumes will clean anything!

Not sold in California anymore except old stock which is long gone.

steve

philaroman

so what is the stuff labeled "MEK Substitute", which is all I see in PA stores on shelves where MEK used to be?  is it a comparably aggressive solvent?