Mitchell 3550

Started by grekim, January 11, 2018, 10:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grekim

This is a weird reel...a trigger drag system.  It will be a challenge and there's lots of corrosion on the exterior.  Some rust here and there too.  But, the gears and shaft look good.  And it worked reasonably smoothly before I took it apart.  Biggest challenge so far was understanding that the tiny "c washers" (if that's what you call them) around the shaft need to come off to be able to slide the shaft out.  Oh, and a weird metal piece (with eyes) above the bearings that I felt like I should have had a special tool for, but somehow managed without destroying it.
Educating fish on every trip

alantani

ok, THIS is gonna get ugly.......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

Quote from: alantani on January 11, 2018, 10:39:27 PM
ok, THIS is gonna get ugly.......   :-\

Yep, above my pay grade...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

and people wonder why i avoid working on spinners!   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

festus

All I can do is offer a schematic.

The reel doesn't look too complicated except for the rear drag.   ??? ??? :o ::)

grekim

Well, I photo'd the order of the "rear drag stack" as I took it out (see below).  And the order of washers on the pinion.  So, I'm not too too worried at the moment.    I did look at the schematics earlier and it would make a grown man cry.    I really do like simplicity (like the Shakespeare 2000 series that was recently posted).  This reel came with the 306 I recently purchased, so I gotta do something with it.  

handi2

I guess you got it apart. Those little clips on the spool shaft are a pain. It take 2 dental picks for me to get them off.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

foakes

You'll do fine, Grekim --

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

grekim

Quote from: handi2 on January 11, 2018, 11:33:49 PM
I guess you got it apart. Those little clips on the spool shaft are a pain. It take 2 dental picks for me to get them off.

It's disassembled and the big parts are soaking.  To get the those clips off I used two flat head screw drivers, one to keep it from moving and the other to push it off the shaft just a little.  Then I grabbed it with the needle nose pliers.    

Midway Tommy

Quote from: grekim on January 11, 2018, 11:53:38 PM
Quote from: handi2 on January 11, 2018, 11:33:49 PM

It's disassembled and the big parts are soaking.  To get the those clips off I used two flat head screw drivers, one to keep it from moving and the other to push it off the shaft just a little.  Then I grabbed it with the needle nose pliers.   

I usually do the same thing with two tiny screwdrivers, making sure that I'm pushing them down into the body. They're lot's easier to keep control of and find that way.

Now, what I'm looking forward to is a complete step by step photographed tutorial about the reassembly process!  ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

grekim

Quote from: Midway Tommy on January 12, 2018, 12:04:06 AM
Now, what I'm looking forward to is a complete step by step photographed tutorial about the reassembly process!  ;D

Get back to you on that one! :)

grekim

Finished it this evening.  I don't have much experience with ball bearings.  So, I scraped some grime out with a toothpick and then worked ReelX in.  No soaking like the other parts.  It is spinning wonderfully.  Drag is strong.  Here are my mistakes:

1.   I put the shaft in with c clamps so that the drag washers (remember they are in the base of the reel) would have something to fit on.  All was going so well until it was time to put the headstock on.  Can't do it!   The tabs that stick out of the shaft at the spool end prevent you from slipping the headstock over.  I've done this before, but not with the annoying c clamps.  So, I had to undo the clamps and slide the shaft out.  I was worried the drag stack would come apart, but it did not (Cal's grease helped there).  Okay, so I get the headstock on, slide the shaft in and redo the c clamps.   Doh!  The nut that holds the headstock on also has to go on before you slide the shaft in.  By this time I am a pro at the c clamps.  So, one more time.

2.  The clutch is anything but obvious in how it works.  I thought I was missing a spring, but in fact the spring is clipped around the main gear (see below)!  And in my redo's above, the spring had popped off (unknown to me) and I could not figure out why the clutch was not holding (because it was before I took the reel apart).  So, this torsion type spring fits in a notch that is attached to the clutch.  

Anyway, I am very glad I did it.  And again, this thing spins like a dream.  I will probably keep it for freshwater for less maintenance :)

Pictures are of the inside after being cleaned up and greased (Cal's and Reel Butter).   And the drive gear before cleanup but showing the crucial torsion spring.

mo65

Way ta go...enjoy your reel! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Midway Tommy

Well done!

My Daddy always said he never learned much when he did things right but he learned a lot when he made a mistake.  :D  I've always remembered that comment when I screw up, problem is the mind is getting too old to remember, sometimes, what I learnt.  ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Good job, Grekim!

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.