MINT GREEN BALDY'S JIG (ANYONE HAVE ONE???)

Started by Carl L, January 14, 2018, 11:55:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carl L

Ok, after searching the net for years, I finally come across an article on pierfishing.com, And it grabs me!! The holy grail of fishing.. (At least to me)... You see, my Papa (Oscar "Bud" Gillen) took me fishing on newport pier in the early 70's and i caught everything from sardines to sting rays. There was always secret whispered gossip between us about everything fishing related. BUT, the holy grail was the magig Baldy's jig. This was a mythical lure that was once sold at Baldy's tackle on the pier. In the early 60's, there was a fire that destroyed the majic mold that produced the Mint-green baldy's jig that was legend amongst the "pier-rats" in Newport beach Ca.   My Papa had a similar copy, but lost the origional to the "big one that got away". I asked about this copy in his tackle box, and his reply to the lure was "its close, but its not a Baldy's" almost with the same disgust under his breath as when i picked up a japan copy of a penn reel in a K-mart one day.. Sooo, the big question is; Does anyone have, or know the location of an origional early 1960's mint-green Baldy's jig????  I would love to buy/borrow/copy/make exact copies (with the utmost care), of one of these for future generations because, if Papa said it was the best, There is no substitute.....                  Carl Larsen

Swami805

There's a whole website devoted to collectors of old So.Cal. jigs. The name escapes me at the moment. Randy at vintage offshore tackle on here might be able to help too. Good luck in your quest!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Carl, I have dozens of original Baldy's for $10-15 each.  Please send me a PM and I will hook you up.

Thank you,

Randy

swill88

Carl L

ftp://   this is what I seek.. it is a plastic tuna jig..

Brendan

My first custom rod came from them. The names a blast from the past.
Tight lines, Brendan.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: Carl Larsen on January 15, 2018, 08:25:51 PM
ftp://   this is what I seek.. it is a plastic tuna jig..

Carl, here are a few dozen marked Baldy's in three different sizes.  I also have tons of bone jigs, Hetzels, etc. that I would love to sell.

Thanks,

Randy

Carl L

Wow !!!! Top row left to right, (top left being #1); I would like #7 , and #11... let me know how much !! It is amazing you have all those... are the stickers labeled baldy's, or is it molded in ? Just pm or whatever.. i can send paypal-money order-cash-whatever..

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: Carl Larsen on January 17, 2018, 03:45:34 AM
Wow !!!! Top row left to right, (top left being #1); I would like #7 , and #11... let me know how much !! It is amazing you have all those... are the stickers labeled baldy's, or is it molded in ? Just pm or whatever.. i can send paypal-money order-cash-whatever..

PM Sent.