Stand up rod recommendation for 14/0

Started by 458steve, January 01, 2018, 06:07:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

458steve

Planning to spool my 14/0 with 100# for stand-up.
Recommendations Penn Rods
1 - Penn 2255 tuna stick 50-130# rating - Older Model
2 - Penn 50100ARA 6 foot Tuna Stick Current Issue (Can this rod handle 130 if I switch)
3 - New Ally Rods - ALLBW50100C60RS

Thanks

Swami805

Every body is built a little different. If at all possible go pull on them and see which one fit's YOU. This ain't a trout rod and a rod that is right for your particular frame is very important. An hour into a fight and you'll know what I'm talking about. Hopefully there's somewhere you can go pull on some. Hope you land something big on that 14/0
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Army_of_One

I've been happy with my Ally rods.  I'm only about 5'6" and it was comfortable with Daron's harness/belt.
Another day in Paradise!

Shark Hunter

Let me just say, the 14/0 fully spooled is like a bowling ball.
If I had to pick from your three rods. I would choose the tuna stick.
The rollers will require special attention being on the beach.
You have lots of options.
My favorite is a Rainshadow eglass 80-130 with a 29mm seat.
Calstar, Seeker, Penn International V.
All are good rods.
Life is Good!

458steve

Purchased a new Penn 50100ARA 6 foot Tuna Stick Current Issue at 225.00 at sierra trading post - big savings

The Penn 2255 tuna stick was used on ebay and I was not totally happy with what I was looking at.

Thanks

Shark Hunter

Make sure those rollers are in tip top shape when you hit the beach.
Keep them clean, lightly oiled and out of the sand and you will prosper.
That is a nice rod.
Life is Good!

UKChris

Just a personal opinion but I have the Penn 2255 (older model in white glass). It says it is rated 50-130lb line but in my humble opinion it is happiest with 50lb and lacks the power to pull on 80lb let alone 130lb. It lacks the power to make use of the extra line strength.

I also have a newer black glass Penn 2260 (6') and that is a much more powerful beast. I happily use 80lb line on that rod (50W reels) though it would also work well with 50lb line, but again I think it lacks the guts for 130lb line. Frankly, few people can use 130lb line stand-up effectively and harness all of its power. However, you might be using thicker line for its abrasion resistance, which is a different thing. Or you may be a big lad :D!