Last Fishing Trip Of 2017

Started by Rivverrat, January 12, 2018, 04:48:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

Not the kind of trip most post about here. Very different than how a lot of you go about this affliction. It is a way of fishing I enjoy greatly.  Didnt get to the river as much as I'd liked last year. Had my mind set on fishing a   place I'd not been in a while.

Most of last year I had determined to fish a place that was close but I hadnt fished since the summer after my senior year of high school 35 years ago.

I commute & travel by bike at every given oppurtunity. I also had no desire to bring more publicity than there already is to this spot by driving my truck & having local people recognize it. The local lake has a long history of producing very nice sized Flathead.
The weekend summer nights will have most areas of easy access along this lakes bank littered with lights from lanterns of the many bank fisherman. Because of this along with the lay of the lake It's a hard thing to place a bait where it's productive for bigger fish whwile fishing from the bank.
I paid a young fella to take me out for an hour in his & his dad's bass boat loaded with all the electronics that would be useful for me to get reaquainted with the lake. Not seeing what I'd hoped for I went to plan B. Remembering there had been plenty of rain & Ceder Creek that runs into this lake had pretty good flow & the area I use for bait would be well full of shad & & 1/2 lb. size bass. I was getting excited at the thought of it.

So I packed up for my trip to fish over night.... Jeff

Rivverrat

The trailor is a 2 child carrier that I lucked into at a yard sale. It has worked out very well for camp/fishing from my bike. Though I wish it had bigger tires for the sand at the river. More to come... Jeff

Decker

I really like the way you set up the trailer to hold the rods.   

I've been dreaming of setting up a fat tire bike for beach fishing.   I like to surf fish but I'm not really interested in having a 4WD vehicle.   The dream is to be able to access some long stretches of beach that are otherwise inaccessible.  Pedaling in the sand can be really tough... an electric option would be cool, though pricey.

One thing that is great about biking versus a car or truck... it slows you down enough to observe what is going on around you.     

STRIPER LOU

Great setup! Stuff like that is very popular for the guys that fish Cape Cod Canal.

Well done, and thanks for posting,  ..  Lou

Gobi King

Jeff,
Great setup,
hmm, I have to think how I can use the same for a pier cart.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

mo65

I dig that set up Jeff...flying under the radar is something we have to do also.
  A great fishin' spot can become a free for all if someone sees you hook a decent fish. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Rivverrat

Quote from: Decker on January 12, 2018, 02:05:43 PM

I've been dreaming of setting up a fat tire bike for beach fishing.      

STOP Dreaming & Do It !  Before this spring!  I'll help you in any way I can. As we age a bike can be a great thing ! Depending on your fitness & activity level, how far you wish to go, your expectations could need to be to low at first. Start slow...

Just Do it !!

.....& POST SOME UP PICS... Jeff

steelfish

awesome set up

looking forward to see more pictures of this adventure,
really like to see more of this kind of fishing

I practiced freshwater fishing and catfishing for sometime and liked a lot, but now Im 100% salty boy
The Baja Guy

Rivverrat

...... First order of the evening was gathering bait. I love getting bait "almost" as much as I do the actuall fishing.
Not wanting to disturb my regular spot getting bait, cause I was fishing there I headed for the boat ramp having my favored tools for this, being my throw net & Penn 4300ss on 2 pc. rod.  

Ramps are most always an excellent places to get bait. They also provide me with snag free tosses of my net. A good thing since I dont really like replaceing throw nets after every trip. A throw net along with a lite combo can reveal a lot of things about a body of water.  

At this point of my evening I was getting pretty excited...

This reel has outlast no fewer than 4 rods, all broke beyond repair. Butter smooth, strong drag. One of my all time favs. Goes with me every trip.... Jeff

Rivverrat

These small perch would work but not exactly what I was looking for. I'd keep at it, no hurries. Click on the last pic & if you look closely you can see 3-4 or more  of what I was after only I wanted a bit bigger ones... Jeff

Decker

Quote from: Rivverrat on January 12, 2018, 07:48:26 PM
Quote from: Decker on January 12, 2018, 02:05:43 PM

I've been dreaming of setting up a fat tire bike for beach fishing.      

STOP Dreaming & Do It !  Before this spring!  I'll help you in any way I can. As we age a bike can be a great thing ! Depending on your fitness & activity level, how far you wish to go, your expectations could need to be to low at first. Start slow...

Just Do it !!

.....& POST SOME UP PICS... Jeff

YEAH, MAN!

Rivverrat

Here I go. What I was wanting & a great size for bait.

Yup, large mouth bass. Here in Kansas we can use game fish for bait as long as they come from the water your fishing....

gstours

Thanks 🙏 for the pictures.  Carrying all that stuff would be difficult. You got a great plan.  Incognito.  Anyone seen a guy on a red bike 🚲 pulling a train 🚂.  Good luck 👍🧐

mo65

I agree...fishin' for bait is a good time. Sometimes we hit a small stream with ultralights and load up on panfish. Other times it's sabiki rigs at the dam. Catch a lunker Jeff! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Rivverrat

Quote from: mo65 on January 12, 2018, 10:35:01 PM
  I agree...fishin' for bait is a good time.  Other times it's sabiki rigs at the dam. Catch a lunker Jeff! 8)
A sabiki rig is something I need to get acquainted with & start using.