Last Fishing Trip Of 2017

Started by Rivverrat, January 12, 2018, 04:48:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

A couple of shad for cut bait. Might be channel cat roaming about. Yupp..... just tossem in on top of the snacks...Jeff

Gobi King

Wow, you Sir are a fisherman  ;D

Fresh fish makes good bait for cats. I used to kill them on chicken liver.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Rivverrat

I get my bait safely stowed & pack up to leave the ramp. A few stop & comment on the trailor & some who obviously have traveled by bike ask which way I came in. There thoughts on the ride out.

It's all down hill as you get within 3 miles of the Lake. the road out isn't bad if your in shape. But it's a bit much for a lot folks.
Loaded up I head out. My excitement of finally being here has grown. I cant wait to get to this spot. I hope no one is there it is a small area & not much room for more than a couple of people to fish it proper.... Jeff

Rivverrat

Finally I arrive. I stand for a moment & stare at the surface of the water watching for any signs. I see what I was hoping for & move to get settled in for the night.

You could throw a rock across it & It's no more than 3' deep. However the recent rains have brought Ceder Creek up to a decent level where there is constant flow into the small pool below which is the creek arm that leads into the lake.

Rivverrat

Up above the pool I was set up on an old concrete wall where my light would have no effect on my fishing.
About 45 min. in nothing.
I hear baitfish & a coon comes down to the waters edge paying me no attention. A little bit later a pickup with a canoe in back slows down on the road & slowly turns toward me with lights on the water... Idiot ! 
Some people have absolutely no idea. This same fella does the same thing two more times during the night. After the last time I'm pretty sure he wont be back.

I finally get a good hit that turns into a decent sized hooked fish that wraps my 60 lb. line around a rock & immediately breaks me off......

Rivverrat

About 1:30 the water in the pool below me seems to come alive with activity. 10 minutes later my clicker sounds off.
I throw the lever forward & the tip on my heavy bait rod bends nicely. Turns out to be decent Flathead around 25 -30 lbs.

steelfish

nice fish and wonderful walkthrough
that looks really fatty.. the fish I mean

btw. nice to met you Jeff

The Baja Guy

Rivverrat

I rebait & throw back out & wait. Soon catch another that could pass for the prior ones twin.

steelfish

Quote from: Rivverrat on January 13, 2018, 02:20:56 AM
I reabait & throw back out & wait. Soon catch another that could pass for the prior ones twin.

I know many guys that will die if they see a Large mount bass use as bait like in the last picture, LOL
not me, so dont worry, I have actually used green bass as cut bait for shore fishing in the sea, it was an excellent bait for triggerfish.. sssshhhh  dont tell anyone

The Baja Guy

Rivverrat

About 4:30 in the morning things had slowed & I stood to fetch my coffee thermos & the clicker on the nights lucky rod sound off again. I throw the lever foward as before & the tip on my bait rod bends a little more than on the pior 2 fish.

A flathead over 50 lbs. a decent Flathead about any where you might catch one. I normally release big catfish but this biggest one was hooked really bad so he was taken home. ..Jeff

Rivverrat

Quote from: steelfish on January 13, 2018, 02:27:55 AM
Quote from: Rivverrat on January 13, 2018, 02:20:56 AM
I reabait & throw back out & wait. Soon catch another that could pass for the prior ones twin.

I know many guys that will die if they see a Large mount bass use as bait like in the last picture, LOL
not me, so dont worry, I have actually used green bass as cut bait for shore fishing in the sea, it was an excellent bait for triggerfish.. sssshhhh  dont tell anyone

Oh I catch heck for it here at times. Almost to the point of fighting which I dont want in any way. Thought one time I was going to have to bust out the pepper spray on an O'l Boy. Some people go nutz about this. Only people I know that can be worse are fly rod totten trout fellas.

Rivverrat

One thing I've learned it's not an easy thing taking selfies while holding fish. First pic is one of the nights smaller rascals. Still a nice fish. Any I catch are nice fish regardles of their size  ;D ...Jeff

Rivverrat

Well that's about it for my last trip of 2017.

Gets me all excited for this new year with a strong desire to see it warm up.
With some new reels & rods I cant wait to use. I'll be waiting with excitement & making  plans as I roll through the different places I've fished in my minds eye of places on the the river I so love & enjoy fishing.... Jeff

Shark Hunter

Awesome Jeff! ;)
Thanks for taking us along on your Adventure.
Nice to put a face to a name.
Glad you caught some fish.
Life is Good!