Did they replace dartanium?

Started by Lunker Larry, January 12, 2018, 04:30:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lunker Larry

Just opened up a brand new 600LC and it did not have the standard smooth dartanium drag washers in it. These have a surface like CF.  Is this a mod to Dartanium or is it now CF?
Thanks
LL
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

MarkT

What they call Dartanium II are woven carbon fiber unlike the original Craptanium washers.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Lunker Larry

There you go...now I know. Thanks
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Keta

Quote from: MarkT on January 12, 2018, 04:36:21 PMCraptanium washers.

And they certanly were, filthy and when used lumpy.  Dartanium II is much better.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

daiwa very quietly changed out all of their drag washers to greased carbon fiber.  shimano is finally following suit.  so much for shimano "leading the way."   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

Truth told:

IMO --

Most of the major manufacturers have come around to our way of thinking regarding CF drags -- imagine, some even grease them!

However, it took awhile, and it was not their idea -- even though it is the most effective drag material readily available to date.

So they were brought to the wedding alter, reluctantly.

When something works so well and effectively -- a company can delay the truth -- but it always becomes apparent to those who take the time to observe, discover, test, and use.

I still have hundreds of new drag washers from Newell, Shimano, and many others that are the old styles.  Dry or hard, some leather,  asbestos, brake material, gasket material, needing replacement often, not as effective.  Also have some Daiwa factory greased drag washers, still in plastic bags.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

Quote from: foakes on January 12, 2018, 06:18:20 PM
I still have hundreds of new drag washers from Newell, Shimano, and many others that are the old styles.  Dry or hard, some leather,  asbestos, brake material, gasket material, needing replacement often, not as effective.  Also have some Daiwa factory greased drag washers, still in plastic bags.

i see a dumpster in your future......   ;D

Decker

wfjord

With all the negative connotations associated with Dartanium washers why didn't they just drop the Dartanium (II) name altogether and start calling them carbon fiber washers?  Might have been a good selling point, especially since the fishing world is becoming more educated in reel maintenance (with much credit to AlanTani.com and the top notch reel mechanics here).

Wally15

Quote from: MarkT on January 12, 2018, 04:36:21 PM
What they call Dartanium II are woven carbon fiber unlike the original Craptanium washers.
I cannot find Craptanium anywhere on the Periodic Table. Have you discovered a new element, Fish Hog?
Peaches
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

alantani

Quote from: wfjord on January 12, 2018, 08:28:37 PM
With all the negative connotations associated with Dartanium washers why didn't they just drop the Dartanium (II) name altogether and start calling them carbon fiber washers?  Might have been a good selling point, especially since the fishing world is becoming more educated in reel maintenance (with much credit to AlanTani.com and the top notch reel mechanics here).

somebody in the marketing department likely made that call.   :-\

Midway Tommy

Quote from: alantani on January 12, 2018, 06:47:50 PM
Quote from: foakes on January 12, 2018, 06:18:20 PM

i see a dumpster in your future......   ;D

DON'T RESORT TO THE DUMPSTER!  :o  There are purists out there that restore back to original for catching shelf fish.  ??? There will be a market some day!   :)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

MarkT

Shimano doesn't really mention drags on their website anymore. I guess it isn't worth mentioning when they're now doing what everyone else does.  On the Curado, they now call it a Cross Carbon drag.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

CapeFish

Shimano must be one of the world leaders in developing marketing gibberish. I recently got myself one of the new Daiwa BG spinners and was pleasantly surpirised when I opened it. It got the full Tani treatment! Even the screws holding the rotor nut in place were given a coat of grease and tbe inside side cover.