Ocean City Inductor No250

Started by Alto Mare, January 12, 2018, 08:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

I recently purchased this Inductor, it was in really bad shape, but with a little bit of work it cleaned up pretty nicely.
Here are some pics of the before and after.

And the before:

And the after:

I usually soak the parts in Simple Green overnight, rinse them with warm water afterwards and dry. I will also use Peslode tool cleaner to help it along.

And now a couple of pics of the breakdown and reassembly, in case someone might need to see them:
And the breakdown:

removing the plate will quickly reveal the amazing design on these reels. The pinion will have a hard time trying to get misaligned to the main gear, the Jack glideds on the two posts and is held in place by a latch at the top, I'm impressed!
The peening of the post on the bridge and the dog assembly is also crazy.
The leftside plate holds 8 magnets

the magnets are mounted on a plate that also holds the clicker, the spring and two latches to hold it in place

breaking down the plate assembly

the leftside plate

and all the parts after they've been cleaned and ready to go

Now the reassembly:

I did decide to upgrade the drags and the Delring for under the gear

the new carbon fiber washers fit nicely

the clutch assembly

and the bridge

The bridge should actually go in place before the clutch assembly, but if you keep the bridge screws loose, you'll be able to set the bridge in and actually makes it much easier that way
The two post for the plate with magnets go in and the adjustable bracket ...sorry, I know the parts have names, but I do not have any paperwork on these. This reel is actually my first

Sliding the bracket sideways  will raise or lower the plate holding the magnets.

I tried spinning the spool at full and it moved just a little, maybe one turn,  backed the lever, it spun for 5 seconds.
You could really tell its doing its job.
To me, this is an amazing design and way more advanced than the new stuff we have today, I don't get it why they don't follow the good designs... maybe to costly for them. :-\

Enjoy it, I know I did!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tightlines667

Nice work Sal!

Glad you got that reel.  Now that you've done a tutorial, I have no excuse not to service mine ;)

I like these reels.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

swill88

Quote from: Tightlines666 on January 12, 2018, 09:38:27 PM
Nice work Sal!

Glad you got that reel.  Now that you've done a tutorial, I have no excuse not to service mine ;)

I like these reels.

John

what he said... thanks Sal

steve

gstours

Thanks Sal for taking the time to show us the pictures and text.  Nicely done.  🦀

mo65

Cool reel Sal! I was the other bidder...I love these reels. It looks great! And you're right, these things were way ahead of their time, a great reel. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Alto Mare

Thanks guys! what an amazing reel.
Mo, sorry it got away from you. I know I was the first bidder, I watched it from the first day and 1/2 hour before it was over I placed my max bid of what I was willing to spend and won it.

There will be more and I will be sure to keep an eye out.

Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

bhale1

Wow,
Lots of magnet's in that reel... guessing that's why they call it an "inductor"..... Way ahead of our modern "mag" brakes!!!
Brett

mo65

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 13, 2018, 03:57:15 AM

Mo, sorry it got away from you. 

Oh no, don't be sorry Sal, I was trying to steal the thing...HA! And you're right, I'll get one eventually. This excellent tutorial will guide me through the restoration! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Gobi King

Nice reel Sal,

What is the part # for the drag upgrade?

I have an Ocean City reel I will dig my claws into next week  ;D
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Donnyboat

Nice work Sal, good to see old reels come back to life, not the first reel you have restord, your one of the masters @ it, thanks for showing, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Alto Mare

Thank you guys. I've done one or two larger OC reels in the past, but this one is completely different, I must say I really enjoyed it. :)

Gobi, I usually make my own washers but you should do just fine with the 6-60 . If you use the brass washers, make sure you clean them really good.
Sorry Gobi, UI wrote the wrong #...it's the 6-155 washers not the 6-60...you could use the 6-60, but would need to remove 1/16" on the O.D.

Sal

mhc

Thanks for the detailed posting Sal, it's going to take me a while to take in all the unique features of this reel.

Mike 
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Alto Mare

Quote from: mhc on January 13, 2018, 02:07:11 PM
Thanks for the detailed posting Sal, it's going to take me a while to take in all the unique features of this reel.

Mike 
Thanks Mike!...check out how much beefier the gears are on this reel, compared to Penn
OC on the left

I wasn't able to save the clamp bolts, so I used Penn's

worked out just fine

Best,

Sal

oc1

That's an incredible reel Sal.  I think that type of magnet is called Alnico.  It would be nice to pin down the date of the first magnetic cast control.  After 1941, but was it pre-war or post-war?

http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/topic/331776-ocean-city-255-antique-mag-reel-question/?hl=inductor#entry4731670

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13054.90
-steve

Robert Janssen

As soon as I saw your post, the first thing i thought of was an old Stripersonline thread. The same one you posted, namely. I am Dr Rob on that thread, and to the best of my knowledge there have been no more conclusive findings. That is just sort of where the trail goes cold. Of course, there are others who know more, but i do not.

Cool reel, cool post, cool everything. Ransom's thinking was truly revolutionary.