Ocean City Inductor No250

Started by Alto Mare, January 12, 2018, 08:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Thanks Steve and Doc, glad you liked it as well.

Best,  

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

STRIPER LOU

Boy that's a really neat reel. Thanks for doing the tutorial and taking us along for the ride.

I hope to get to play with one of those some day. Interesting piece!

............Lou

mhc

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 13, 2018, 04:17:02 PM
...check out how much beefier the gears are on this reel, compared to Penn

You're right, the walls of the main are pretty thick for a gear that uses 6-155 drag washers. The whole reel looks pretty beefy to me  8) It looks like 3:1 gear ratio if I counted correctly - 36/12
It also looks like the dog spring is on the back of the bridge, or am I looking at something else?

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Alto Mare

Quote from: mhc on January 14, 2018, 11:03:35 AM
Quote from: Alto Mare on January 13, 2018, 04:17:02 PM
...check out how much beefier the gears are on this reel, compared to Penn

You're right, the walls of the main are pretty thick for a gear that uses 6-155 drag washers. The whole reel looks pretty beefy to me  8) It looks like 3:1 gear ratio if I counted correctly - 36/12
It also looks like the dog spring is on the back of the bridge, or am I looking at something else?

Mike
Yes Mike, the dog spring is on the opposite side of the bridge, the dog is brass insert on steel, I'm not sure why.
Good eye on the gears, it does have  a 3:1 ratio.
On those, not only the wall is beefier, the teeth are much deeper as well.
Did you notice the additional piece that sits on the pinion to engage and disengage the spool? It's approximately 3 times larger than the OD on the pinion, all star reels should come with those, it makes a lot of sense to me.
Another thing that caught my eye was the alignment of the parts, I know you appreciate it as well :).
Check pic no.4 from the bottom up, on how the spacing is the same with all mounted parts.
Also, the screw holes are of different size, so you don't mix them up as you mount the bridge...what a reel...

Best,

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Gobi King

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 13, 2018, 01:31:32 PM
Thank you guys. I've done one or two larger OC reels in the past, but this one is completely different, I must say I really enjoyed it. :)

Gobi, I usually make my own washers but you should do just fine with the 6-60 . If you use the brass washers, make sure you clean them really good.
Sorry Gobi, UI wrote the wrong #...it's the 6-155 washers not the 6-60...you could use the 6-60, but would need to remove 1/16" on the O.D.

Sal

Sal,
No worries, got it, I will add that to my list of my drag order :-).
Thanks!
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Penn Chronology

QuoteAlso, the screw holes are of different size, so you don't mix them up as you mount the bridge...what a reel

Great post Sal about a great reel.

What we are seeing here is one of the reasons Ocean City went out of business. The design of the Inductor is right out of the vom Hofe design book. Ocean City had a close relationship with Edward vom Hofe and their reel designs reflect that. Their designs also reflect pre-Depression times. The problem was that their pre-Depression designs did not reflect the competition from Penn during the Depression. The design cost of a Penn reel was much less than the design cost of Ocean City reels.

You mentioned the high quality many times. The competition from Penn caused Ocean City to lower their price. That hurt the company.

Other interesting traits of Ocean City was the massive multitude of designs. They spent a lot of money on R & D and put many designs into production that cost them big bucks, left some fantastic products for us to collect today; but, never made any profits. Their product line was massively eclectic.

Basically, OC sold 1920's designs at 1930's pricing and that caused them to never recover.

Here is a my Inductor 250 that I have never been able to part with. Someday I will sell it.............Maybe.......... I am including the parts breakdown and some owner manual instructions that you can copy and keep with your reel.

Very glad you did this post.

Penn Chronology

QuoteDid you notice the additional piece that sits on the pinion to engage and disengage the spool? It's approximately 3 times larger than the OD on the pinion, all star reels should come with those, it makes a lot of sense to me.

Ocean City calls that piece the Pinion Gear Clutch. That part is a direct steal of Edward vom Hofe design.

Here is a 1927 Edward vom Hofe reel. Notice the similar design to Ocean City. A sliding clutch that engages with pins on the spool. The yoke slides the clutch up and down on the pinion gear's square shaft.

Alto Mare

Mike, thanks for adding to this with your unsorpassed knowledge, it is very much appreciated.
You've put out some interesting information.
Now I'm wondering, why are the OC vintage reels so cheap to purchase :-\.
Of course I'm not talking about that beautiful Inductor 250 you're showing above, would you like to trade😁

Thanks again Mike, I always enjoy your posts.

Sal

Reel 224

OC 250 is kicking modern tech when it comes to cast control. I like to find one myself. Sal are you listing ??? ;D...............Joe 

Up date; I was bitten by the bug and just put in an offer for a O/C 250 and got it so I hope it is what I saw, it looks to be in decent shape and with love and care it will look even better.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Penn Chronology

QuoteNow I'm wondering, why are the OC vintage reels so cheap to purchase Undecided.
Of course I'm not talking about that beautiful Inductor 250 you're showing above, would you like to trade😁

That is a question that I have asked many times. OC reels are low in pricing because of the demand for them verses the amount of them that are out there. That is the only answer I can think of. Ocean City was a mass producer of products that were built to last for generations. If you take care of an OC, you hand it down to your children and they will hand it down to theirs.
             The problem with OC is the parts availability. The company sold to True Temper in 1958, so they have not been around for a long time. Their style is obsolete and their parts availability is totally on the collector market. In mechanical design they are superior to Penn; but, Penn had a much better feel for the market place of the times they were in. Penn was always smart about business. That, combined with a good product, is what creates longevity.

About ten years ago I had a large OC collection of NOS in the box reels. My Inductor is a left over from that collection. I was never able to part with my Inductor, especially since the average price I was getting for all my reels was $20 each and that was for New in the Box items. I literally gave away some really pretty collectibles I got from an old tackle shop in Brooklyn that I bought out. Space was always a problem for me, so I let things go cheap when I need to. That was when I realized that collecting OC was a Non-Profit hobby. Some of their special reels are selling for higher prices today; but, for the most part, you can accumulate a very nice collection of OC's for small dollars. I always felt that at some point in time, the collector world would wake up and the prices for old & nice OC's will triple over night. 

After careful consideration and much personal deliberation I have decided to not accept your Trade Offer for my Inductor. <:O)

One of my last survivor OC pieces is another item I have not been able to part with. It is dealer Parts Kit from the 1920's and 30's. Trays of vintage NOS Parts. It is not complete but many parts are still in the little boxes. This is the only one I have seen. It was found in California.

Some OC stuff is very special and historical. Ocean City is not a company like Penn. It does not really have a founder. It is a company that is a result of a mass merger of different tackle companies that took place over many years. Very interesting and complicated history.

Rivverrat

Just seen this for the first time. What nice reel & fantastic thread. 

basto

I have an Ocean City 112. I like the square topped gear sleeve, which looks like it would not be as prone to rounding as a Penn`s sleeve.(just my opinion)
Another thing I like about the 112 is its 6 screw stand.
It is very similar to the Inductor in many ways. Very interesting reels.
Greg
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Reel 224

Sal: I wonder if you could modify the drag stack with one of Brian's five stack kits to fit in the 250 by leaving one or so CF washer out and one metal washers out. Just a thought, and would it be worth doing that to the 250. Perhaps it would put to much on the gear train. I don't know just a thought. It's 1:30AM and I'm getting punchy, but this reel business is getting me sucked in deeper and deeper.

Jese I started out with a old reel that I had and look at me today 20 reels and still counting. ??? :o ;) ;D ;D....................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."