Being a good husband and father

Started by ReelFishingProblems, January 13, 2018, 10:03:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReelFishingProblems

Jim,
I second wanting to see that rod!
Thanks for the tip on reverse wrapping. I'll have to try it out on the next project (hopefully starting soon, either a 10-20 inshore rod or a Sabre SM50)

I put a cobia decal on this rod. Set on top of epoxy with a second coat over the top. Not sure why, but it looks a little cheap to me. Maybe the choice of backdrop color, maybe the placement. Will have to keep messing around and looking at examples

thorhammer

I cut the fish out but that brings its own issues with the fins lifting after add epoxy... I'm sending you an inshore blank with your yak rod don't forget.

ReelFishingProblems

I used small curved scissors to cut the fish out too. One fin is slightly raised creating a raised part of epoxy. The contrast between the decal and the black underneath is almost too extreme.

I don't know what to say John, thanks you. I guess I know which project is next

Jim Fujitani

Quote from: thorhammer on January 21, 2018, 05:07:04 PM
Jim we'd love to see that fly rod if you have it!

When I rebuilt the rod, I totally brought it up to date, for a wrapped 1970's rod.  It originally had that black lacquer painted on, and snake guides.  I stripped it to the bare cane and varnished the cane before wrapping.  As I recall, I may have even had to build up the area under the reel seat.  The only original material left is the cane, oh and that distinctive wooden case that those Occupied Japan rods came in.

I'll try to find the case and rod in my garage.  You know the saying, out of sight, out of mind.  Well, I haven't seen the case since '95.....

steelfish

Quote from: ReelFishingProblems on January 13, 2018, 10:03:35 PM
...... so being the good husband I set up a hand wrapping station on the dining room kitchen to be close to the family.

haha that was nice, I actually do the same but on the living room, but I didnt set up a hand wrapping station, I just take my mobile-wrapping station to watch boring-love story movies with my wife while Im working at rods at the same time, when I finish a section and wanted to stop then I just put all the accesories inside the portatile rod wrapping box and store it on my cabinet.

I dont wrap on my lap but on a small foldable table from costco and I seat on the living room coach
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=18922.0

The Baja Guy

ReelFishingProblems

I took this rod out for the second time (first time I didn't really use devote as much attention as needed) this time I exclusively used it from the sunshine skyway fishing pier (Tampa Bay). With a 4 oz drop weight and a single drop loop using a gamakatsu 4/0 hook and frozen ladyfish chunks, I was able to launch stuff like I was using a trebuchet! The sound of mono flying through the guides was music to my ears. Got into a pile of grunts (no, not an infantry squad) and came home with dinner. Tonight will be my first attempt at the Florida classic dish, grits and grunts.
Now let's see if this pair can happen on an inshore gag grouper.

conchydong

Yummy, I love me some fried Grunts, a pot of cheese grits and a slice of alligator pear.  ;D

cwillis85

Sorry birthday dinner and beers didn't permit me to join last night. This morning rendered an undersized Spanish mackerel and a little jack, I work next Saturday till noon and the girls are going to Disney or something so I may take the kayak to work and head out from there. Thinking of trying my old stomping ground off cypress point.
Chris

ReelFishingProblems

Something about southern food is always so satisfying.
First attempt at grits and grunts, grits were a little more on the polenta side, but still tasted great with  blackened grunt!

ReelFishingProblems

Quote from: conchydong on March 18, 2018, 02:40:07 PM
Yummy, I love me some fried Grunts, a pot of cheese grits and a slice of alligator pear.  ;D
I am very embarrassed to say it, I had to look up what an alligator pear was. Makes perfect sense though.
It would have gone perfectly with this dish!

thorhammer

Good work. I have no idea what an alligator pear is, but grunts are undersung...they eat the same stuff off the reef snappers and porgies do...if some marketing exec rebranded them as sherbet-throated blue-line chere-chere (chere-chere is in the genus), they'd be on NYC menus at monkfish process...

"Blackened Blue-line chere-chere, served over gouda polenta with an alligator-pear demi glace  -34." yep.

David Hall

Got to be at least as good as the Patagonian toothfish on a bed of rice.

oldmanjoe

:)Nice job on the stick .     We need to meet some time .  Do you have everything you need turn/dry rods ?     joe
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

ReelFishingProblems

John,
You might be on to something there. Like Mr. Hall eluded to, it just takes a little rebranding. I actually read a recipe that said grunts are not good tasting so you should substitute it for snapper or on the west coast, rockfish.
I love rockfish too, but it's pretty much what I consider the equivalent of grunts.
Nick

ReelFishingProblems

Quote from: oldmanjoe on March 20, 2018, 03:05:21 AM
:)Nice job on the stick .     We need to meet some time .  Do you have everything you need turn/dry rods ?     joe
As Chris (cwillis) noticed immediately two Sunday's ago, the cobia decal is not centered. But it launches like a cannon and it was my grandpa's (he had a daiwa sealine 50H on it and used it for sturgeon on the Columbia River launching from Hood River Oregon) I'm glad to have rebuilt it, it's now one of my favorite things.

I have a rod drying, I have a CRB 9RPM rod dryer. Nothing fancy but works well.

We definitely need to meet up. Every time I go fishing I drive down Bloomingdale and wonder if you would have wanted to come fishing. It would be as simple as pulling down your road and throwing your stuff in the truck!
I'll shoot you a PM with my contact info.

Nick