What side plates or frames would you want made that would get everyone on board

Started by mikeysm, January 14, 2018, 07:36:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeysm

Getting rid of the cheap frame and plastic side plates was the point of this discussion. Why buy the same problem I am trying to get rid of. I pay more for quality it isn't the price. You can keep shopping at Walmart or move up to better quality. There are plenty of parts around for the TDL also. So it is a good prospect for custom side plates. Their are custom frames available also.

Mike

Fishy247

I like the idea of a TLD frame. I think the idea behind this isn't so much about buying a new TLD and upgrading it, but giving a new life to reels that we already own. I'd go for the SS bridge and double dogs too!  ;D

MIke

Rothmar2

Quote from: otownjoe on January 14, 2018, 10:10:36 PM
Magnum jigmaster with a spool that can handle the drag pressure of all the upgrades.

+1 from me on this one.

But would also be VERY keen on the TLD frames and plates. As long as we can come up with a better arrangement for the main crank shaft support. I have found the original bush to wear out with frequent use, and thus winding can become rough at any drag setting due to the main and pinion gear becoming misaligned. There are an awful lot of TLD's out there, surely enough people would be interested breathing new life into these workhorses. I know I would.

Army_of_One

10/0 Frame!  It's long overdue, and can double as a 12/0 "narrow."  ;D
Another day in Paradise!

boon

Quote from: Fishy247 on January 16, 2018, 09:45:32 PM
I like the idea of a TLD frame. I think the idea behind this isn't so much about buying a new TLD and upgrading it, but giving a new life to reels that we already own. I'd go for the SS bridge and double dogs too!  ;D

MIke

I love the idea of giving new life to an older reel, as do most of us here. My reservation is that it may end up being cost-prohibitive and end up with something that is likely a lesser reel than a Talica or Makaira.
If you added an instant anti-reverse, double dogs, more drag capacity and a frame and sideplates to handle it, then a proper handle, you would still have basically just a single-speed Talica. Personally I would rather get the TLD in tip-top 'Tani-fied' condition, maybe add a good handle, then sell it to someone that will use (and enjoy) it within the original design specification, then buy a Talica :)

I feel like if you're going to go to the trouble of designing, engineering and building parts like these then it should result in a new reel, like the extremely cool T4N1.

mikeysm

Well I guess you will miss out then. The best part about it is you have a reel that works the way you want it to. A one of a kind reel. When you get done it will be new if you want to use new parts inside.

Mike

Keta

Quote from: boon on January 17, 2018, 08:15:02 PM
My reservation is that it may end up being cost-prohibitive and end up with something that is likely a lesser reel than a Talica or Makaira.

This is a hobby and cost is not a big factor.  I love taking my almost stock 40 year old plus 349H reels out for Pacific halibut and showing what the "old" gear can do, the ones with custom frames and internals are even better.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

mikeysm

The only thing I have left that isn't worn out is my mind. The rest I slowly being replaced. I like to challange myself and dream up a new reel idea. What will it be and in a little time the light goes off and I start planning. I am driven to finish the project.

Mike

boon

Quote from: Keta on January 17, 2018, 10:15:33 PM
Quote from: boon on January 17, 2018, 08:15:02 PM
My reservation is that it may end up being cost-prohibitive and end up with something that is likely a lesser reel than a Talica or Makaira.

This is a hobby and cost is not a big factor.  I love taking my almost stock 40 year old plus 349H reels out for Pacific halibut and showing what the "old" gear can do, the ones with custom frames and internals are even better.

Different motivations I guess - I certainly enjoy modifying and repairing reels, a lot, but to me it's a means to an end: catching fish. If I can get a reel that will fish better for less money by purchasing an off-the-shelf model, that's what I'll be doing.

Keta

I prefer to catch fish with a tool I build, I built rods and rifles for the same reason.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Swami805

I'm likely the least mechanically inclined person on here, but I can build a penn or a newell reel because they just don't have that many moving parts. I build all my own rods too and get a sense of satisfaction out of using gear I built. Clearly I spend more on a reel than I could buy a new one for but to me it's just a hobby like fishing. One of the beauties of this site is it has something for everyone, The guy looking to save a few bucks fixing his own gear or someone who wants a one of a kind reel.
Taste great!  Less filling!
Did I mention magnum sideplates for smaller penns? oh yeah I did
Great topic,great site, Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Shark Hunter

mikey and boon.
I just want to thank you guys to agree and disagree without throwing knives.
We all have our own views, and it is nice to see you two respect each others.
Hats off to you both gentleman,
Daron ;)
Life is Good!

Gfish

So, my original question was about TLD frames. I have a 15 single speed model and consider it a "value reel"(function & bulid/price). Does someone make an aftermarket frame for this one? If so I'd vote for side plates for this little guy.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

mikeysm

Sheridan just finished my 349hc cradle rod for me . It cost me a small fortune to restore it to show condition. Thanks to Sheridans understanding that  the rod is more than a rod. It a project of love and for me the money is well spent. Sometimes it takes a group effort to reach a goal. This is one of the only places on the internet you can do that.

Mike

Shark Hunter

Congrats on that build Mike.
I feel you, I have taken many a Senator and Morphed it into something totally different for about 5 times what the reel costs.
It is a labor of love indeed.
Life is Good!