What side plates or frames would you want made that would get everyone on board

Started by mikeysm, January 14, 2018, 07:36:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Decker

Something I've noticed in reading through threads on this site...  I lot of guys love Long Beaches, but no one makes a frame for them (I think).  Admittedly, I'm not not a customer for this, but digging through the anecdotal marketing data says, "LONG BEACH!"  :o

Alto Mare

Too bad the shop closed down, I was always hoping you would get in the action on making us some custom parts.
Your work is amazing jurelometer ( Dave ), the best machined star I own to date is one of yours.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

steelfish

Quote from: boon on January 18, 2018, 12:10:30 AM
Different motivations I guess - I certainly enjoy modifying and repairing reels, a lot, but to me it's a means to an end: catching fish. If I can get a reel that will fish better for less money by purchasing an off-the-shelf model, that's what I'll be doing.

I must say that Im on the same boat than "Boon"

I really like all the upgrades and options for the 113h and many other reels but if all the cost for parts to have one a kind 113h "super tank" is going to be $450 dlls or more, well thats the reason I choose to save and get me a Makaira 15 (off-the-shelf-model) instead and Im happy with it, dont get me wrong, I actually have a T4n1 kit to build and Toms 113h sideplates on another 113hlw, I like both sides of the hobby but always with a budget on mind, if soomeone is not on a budget then its a different story.

btw, and to return to the main topic of the thread, I would like to see a Magnun 113h sideplates and spool.

The Baja Guy

steelfish

Quote from: boon on January 18, 2018, 09:34:39 PM
My suggestion: a extra narrow frame + spool kit for the Makaira 16, single-piece frame and sideplate, thin the frame out a bit to save some weight. Ultimate super-heavy-duty jigging reel for southern hemisphere Yellowtail and Hapuka/Bass (Wreckfish).

just imagine if that happens someday  ;D ;D ::) ::)

is someone in the market for a penn 50s and penn 16s? I need to save for two mak-16n  8)
The Baja Guy

ez2cdave

Quote from: mikeysm on January 19, 2018, 12:22:29 PM
I own a squidder magnum. It requires a special spool to work. A 113 magnum the gear ratio wouhd be quite low because of the spool size. More of a winch reel with slow retrive .

Mike

Mike,

Yes, a 113 Magnum ( Black Senator ) would be SLOW . . . However, a "Special Senator" 113H Magnum would have the higher speed 114H gears in it . . . For even more speed, 4:1 aftermarket gears are available.

Tight Lines !

mikeysm

The gear set from pro challenger for a 113h is 4.0:1. The 114h is 3.25:1 . Scotts list the 113h stock gear at 3.25:1 and the 114h at 2.8:1.

Mike

ez2cdave

Quote from: mikeysm on January 20, 2018, 02:02:07 AM
The gear set from pro challenger for a 113h is 4.0:1. The 114h is 3.25:1 . Scotts list the 113h stock gear at 3.25:1 and the 114h at 2.8:1.

Mike

I think there is/was a guy in Hawaii making 4:1 gears for the 114H, but I can't confirm that, right now.

Tight Lines !

surfcaster

Aluminum  side plates with the quick take apart feature for spool changes would be cool.

jurelometer

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 19, 2018, 11:09:33 PM
Too bad the shop closed down, I was always hoping you would get in the action on making us some custom parts.
Your work is amazing jurelometer ( Dave ), the best machined star I own to date is one of yours.

Sal

That's high praise coming from the master reel builder.  My designs always came out better thanks to your suggestions and feedback.  At least for me,  collaboration is critical for good functional design, even when making a humble drag star.

When I sent out prototype parts or lures to other folks for review,  I would most often not hear anything back.  I finally got tired of it.   As a non-professional, it takes me too much time to make multiple parts.  I am still making, just not sending out as many prototypes until I can figure out a way to separate the collaborating partners  like yourself from the people looking for free stuff.

-J

Gfish

Quote from: Decker on January 19, 2018, 09:32:56 PM
Something I've noticed in reading through threads on this site...  I lot of guys love Long Beaches, but no one makes a frame for them (I think).  Admittedly, I'm not not a customer for this, but digging through the anecdotal marketing data says, "LONG BEACH!"  :o
Agree. Lotsa folks have Long Beach 60's. Didn't that guy Trond from Norway have a plan awhile back for LB 60 frames?
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Keta

I wish Trond would show back up, as well as the other missing Scandinavians. 

There is not many parts for the 60, I put my project 60 together almost stock, SS gearsleve, SS AR dog and Bryans drag stack and gave it to my friends grandson.  The post '90 Seaboy 185/190 project is coming along well, the 185 is finished and I'm waiting for funds to get another SS gearsleve for the 190.  The 3.1:1 gear ratio is better for my needs that the 60's 2.5:1 but still not many aftermarket parts, and the reels are not that common.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Decker

Quote from: Gfish on January 22, 2018, 07:29:52 AM
Quote from: Decker on January 19, 2018, 09:32:56 PM
Agree. Lotsa folks have Long Beach 60's. Didn't that guy Trond from Norway have a plan awhile back for LB 60 frames?
Gfish

Quote from: Keta on January 22, 2018, 12:30:05 PM
I wish Trond would show back up, as well as the other missing Scandinavians.  

There is not many parts for the 60, I put my project 60 together almost stock, SS gearsleve, SS AR dog and Bryans drag stack and gave it to my friends grandson.  The post '90 Seaboy 185/190 project is coming along well, the 185 is finished and I'm waiting for funds to get another SS gearsleve for the 190.  The 3.1:1 gear ratio is better for my needs that the 60's 2.5:1 but still not many aftermarket parts, and the reels are not that common.

I've been reading through posts about the the Long Beach 60, and also the Penn Seaboy 185 & 190 (post 1990, graphite side plates).  It seems to me that the the newer 185 Seaboy is a modernized Long Beach 60.  The newer Seaboys are avaialble with two gear ratios, 3.1:1 and 3.5:1. The graphite Seaboy 190, with its frame and spool replaced with narrower ones, is a 185.

If someone were to produce a frame for the LB 60, it would also fit the Seaboy 185.  And with that, you would have a choice of three gear ratios: 2.5:1, 3.1:1, and 3.5:1 by using Long Beach 60, or graphite Seaboy side plates.

mo65

Years ago Tiburon made a 2/0 Senator frame, surprising, as a stock 2/0 is a pretty stout frame. Most likely this is why it disappeared, but it would be great for a hot rod LB60 project. Not sure if it was drilled for a LB60, maybe Ted knows, I think he was the one who enlightened me about the 2/0 Tib. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Decker

Quote from: mo65 on February 01, 2018, 02:38:43 PM
   Years ago Tiburon made a 2/0 Senator frame, surprising, as a stock 2/0 is a pretty stout frame. Most likely this is why it disappeared, but it would be great for a hot rod LB60 project. Not sure if it was drilled for a LB60, maybe Ted knows, I think he was the one who enlightened me about the 2/0 Tib. 8)

Wow, didn't think of the 2/0, Mo!   The existence of that frame would put this idea one step closer to reality.

akfish

Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska