Ocean City Long Key

Started by The Great Maudu, January 15, 2018, 12:13:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Great Maudu

The Ocean City Long Key reels are favorites of mine. I have the 600, 500 and the 450. Recently I came across this 450 size and it had the original box as well. It's first box I've come across. I don't think they are very common. This reel is definitely an upgrade over my other 450.

Benni3

Nice reel,,,,and the box is cool looking

Swami805

Nice find Mike, Looks like it's never had line on it, fresh off a store shelf.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

bhale1

Very nicee,  I know nothing about these reels😀.....but, I know one thing now, that Billy club eccentric lever is cool!!!
Brett

Shark Hunter

You need help Mike. ;)
Wait until you See the Iron Man. ;D
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Gorgeous reel Mike!...you know how to find them :)

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tightlines667

Beautiful reel and box there Mike.  I too like these reels.  I have 3 versions (1st,2nd, and 3rd versions) in 450, 500, and 450yd models.  Guess I need 3 more to complete the set of 6.  I also have one Orlando (which was the precurser to these models) in a 6/0.  

The only boxes I own are 2 wood boxes.  The larger came with a Panama, and I am not sure which reel goes with the smaller?  Maybe an Orlando?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

The Great Maudu

John, I don't think those wood boxes were specific to any particular Reel. Somewhere it seems I read they were sold separately. Here's a pic of a first year version 600 yard with hinged lugs. Chock full of cuttyhunk it looks ready to do battle. The other pics are along side the new 450 for comparison. Same diameter side plates, just wider spool on the 600.

Tightlines667

That is a sweet reel/box combo.  I'm gonna have to try to find me one if those someday to fill the box properly.  I would like all of the first year versions.  They're great reels.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

The Great Maudu

Quote from: Shark Hunter on January 15, 2018, 03:13:17 AM
You need help Mike. ;)
Wait until you See the Iron Man. ;D
Brother, I do need help .... finding reels.
I can't wait to see the Iron Man. We need to set that up and also see if I can find you a star.

oc1

Good stuff Mike.  It's not cuttyhunk line though.  It's something braided and better.

The billy club is a knock-down clutch lever Brett.  It folds down and out to disengage and when the handle is turned it knocks the billy club back in place to engage.  The ones I've had the opportunity to play with are not just convenient, it is a very solid and stable clutch system.
-steve

mo65

Another sweet lookin' reel Mike...you have so many brands...and they all are in great condition. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Penn Chronology

QuoteJohn, I don't think those wood boxes were specific to any particular Reel. Somewhere it seems I read they were sold separately. Here's a pic of a first year version 600 yard with hinged lugs. Chock full of cuttyhunk it looks ready to do battle. The other pics are along side the new 450 for comparison. Same diameter side plates, just wider spool on the 600.

Nope, those boxes were specific to certain high end reels. They were offered in 1939 only and made in many different sizes with inserts that fit the particular reel they were going with. They were mentioned in the old catalogs also.

Penn Chronology

My take on the Long Key model is that it is not a Big Game Reel, it is simply a Big Reel. It is introduced in 1931, when the only true OC big game at that time was the Orlando (again , in my opinion, The Orlando was an underground collaboration of Ocean City and Joe Coxe). Anyway, that is deep OC history and also controversial history. When the Long Key changed to the small reel feature of the Automatic Free Spool lever, that took it out of the big game category for me.

The Balboa did not appear until 1933 and that is the reel that brought Ocean City into the big game market by adding a 10/0 and 12/0 to their product line. The Balboa was true big game (uncomfortably similar to vom Hofe internals) and was the parent of the Panama.

The Great Maudu

Quote from: Penn Chronology on January 18, 2018, 10:04:32 PM
Nope, those boxes were specific to certain high end reels. They were offered in 1939 only and made in many different sizes with inserts that fit the particular reel they were going with. They were mentioned in the old catalogs also.
Well, there you go John. I come across them from time to time. Let me know what size Reel you want one for and I'll keep my eye out.
Mike, thanks for setting the record straight. I hope you have an OC book in the works.