Brand new Okuma Makaira reel seet screws corroded?

Started by Noahg727, January 15, 2018, 03:43:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noahg727

I just got done doing the complete tear down on my new mak 50w. (Thank you Alan for the awesome teardown tutorial)  Everything went pretty smoothly except the reel seat screws were all corroded. Thing had never been fished. They were super hard to even get out and one snapped upon removal. Luckily enough the rest of the screw was exposed to grab it with pliers and get the rest of it out. I email okuma and they are sending me 4 new screws but were alarmed that I was taking it apart in the first place and advised I don't do it. They said they had numerous issues with screws breaking off in the real seat holes. Anyone else have the same issue? My brother got a brand new mak 50w but I'm hesitant to remove those screws if they are vulnerable to snap. (Idk why they weren't stainless steel in the first place) Thoughts?

alantani

yeah, seen that with andros reels.  i think it's something they need to work on.......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Noahg727

Bill B

That's very disturbing for a brand new reel to be corroded.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Gobi King

Pics or it did not happen!  ;D

Sweat from the assembly person's forehead? I wonder what it could have caused it.

I don't have much experience with reels but I have seen corrosion in my savage rifles,  screws in the action and barrel nuts. I saw it only after I took off the factory barrels of the actions.

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

mrwilson99

This is common, my buddy's Andros had a broken screw. It was replaced at no cost.
David

foakes

Shows the importance of -- at the very least, a pre-service examination, before fishing -- even if brand new.

These reels may need nothing -- but you never know for sure unless you have eyes on.

We are taught here on the Alan Tani site to discover, learn, and understand how a reel can work to its maximum -- and even better.

A fishing pre-service is not only recommended, I consider it essential -- at least for the folks on our site, and our clients who depend on us.

Why trust your next $3000 long range trip and maybe the fish of a lifetime -- to anyone but yourself and your experienced knowledge?

You did good by breaking it down Noahg.

If me, I would look for SS replacement screws, then replace them just slightly marine greased to prevent corrosion -- and more importantly, to be able to remove them for restoration and service down the road.

Okuma is comparable or equal to the best High Performance Salt reels in the world currently.  

And Okuma is a solid company, and will take care of any issues promptly.

However, you should still inspect your weapons before going into battle.

No excuses or shortcuts for preparation.

Just my opinions.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Noahg727

Question...Where do you think the best place would be to look for stainless steel strews in the same demensions? If I found one with the same thread and head size could I cut it to the appropriate length?

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

mrwilson99

If you are near Ontario, CA....take a drive. If you are not, call them up and they will send you a replacement.
David

steelfish

hmm per Alantani post on another thread saying the makaira model SEa didnt needed pre-service, I never did one to my mk-15Sea, but now that you found that on yours, I better take the reel seat screws out and grease them with yamaha grease just to be sure they can be removed down the road.

The Baja Guy

Reel Beaker

The worst thing a reel manufacturer could do is to try pinching pennies on quality of screws. Anyway, i am gonna oil all my screws once a month. Do you think that is enough considering i fish saltwater 1-2 times a week? Or should i oil them after every session?

Gobi King

Quote from: Reel Beaker on January 17, 2018, 02:33:53 AM
The worst thing a reel manufacturer could do is to try pinching pennies on quality of screws. Anyway, i am gonna oil all my screws once a month. Do you think that is enough considering i fish saltwater 1-2 times a week? Or should i oil them after every session?

So just a little drop on the screw base will do it? wick effect will cause the oil to though the threads?
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Bryan Young

Quote from: Reel Beaker on January 17, 2018, 02:33:53 AM
Highly recommend TSI321.  It is an excellent corrosion inhibitor.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D