Brand new Okuma Makaira reel seet screws corroded?

Started by Noahg727, January 15, 2018, 03:43:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrwilson99

So about to go on a tuna trip and was curious if I was affected by these corroded screws and sure enough...I have the same issue and one even ended up snapping on me. I had an earlier issue with my dog spring, which stayed engaged and now this...

I am a bit disappointed with Okuma and have reached out, I hope they can correct these issues ASAP for such expensive reels.
David

alantani

it looks like they are using some sort of loctite on the screws.  with the smaller metric machine screws that okuma has used on their andros reels, i have seen several reel seat screws snap off, either because of corrosion or loctite.  i personally haven't see this yet with the makaira line.  and yet here we are! 

to remove the busted stud, just torch it for 20 seconds.  it should come out easily after that.  then get four new screws from okuma and grease the threads. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

nelz

I never remove those screws on my reels. I just add a little Corrosion-X around the gaps and it works its way around the area protecting the base just fine. This is even more critical if the foot is riveted on of course.

Rivverrat

I'm convinced what we are seeing here isnt corrosion of any kind. I've looked closely at the threads under magnification & their is no pitting or other things associated with corrosion... Jef

Gobi King

I too think that the locktite they put on the screws is the culprit.

I tried to undo the bottom screws off my MAK SEA 8II and out of 8 screws only 1 came off and the others would not even budge.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

mrwilson99

I have contacted Okuma and they are sending me new screws. They state if the stuck screw couldn't be removed...we are SOL, as warranty does not cover the frame and advised not do remove any screws.
David

Reel 224

I do not like dealing with company's that have every excuse in the book why there eqiptment is not covered for this or that, come on stop ripping off people with high prices and LOW responsibility! ??? ::) >:(...........................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Rivverrat

This one issue with some Okuma reels. The screws holding the reel foot on the Andros are some of the worse.

I remove these. Drill them out if needed & install helicoils.
In my mind this is one area that needs to be accessed for proper service & long term use in salt water.