Yamalube

Started by Scattergun2570, January 15, 2018, 10:26:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scattergun2570

So, I am very new to servicing reels,,so bear with me. I bought Yamalube..and I was servicing my little Shimano FX 1000FB last night. I packed a good amount of lube on the pinion and main,not cut with any oil. After turning the pinion,and therefore the main,about 20 turns..I noticed that the grease kinda disappears..I mean it's not thick on the gears after such a small amount of turns. I was expecting it to stay in place more than it seems to. Is this par for the course,or should it have stayed in place better?

alantani

nope, sounds about right!  the stuff goes where it will.....   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

philaroman

crank it like you mean it (more/faster than 20 turns)
as long as it's smooth -- ALL GOOD; well-shimmed; gears meshing closely
excess grease squeezed out by gears should be evenly distributed on the main beside the teeth
you just don't want so much that big globs may dislodge & travel to other areas

johndtuttle

The gears when they are properly meshing squeeze out all but a micro-film of grease. This just means the maker has good tolerances.

What you observed is perfectly normal.

handi2

The Shimano spinners don't need much grease at all. As you have found out the grease left on the gears is almost non visible.

Open any new small Shimano spinner and you will notice one small spot of grease on the back of the main drive gear. It's the same on the pinion gear. They let the gears spread the grease around after assembly.

Only a very light coat is needed on all internal parts.

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL