Got reel cold last night

Started by gstours, January 16, 2018, 05:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Went out to start the truck to go fishing.
It took a while.

bhale1

What am I looking at....is that the steering wheel......yowza, now that is cold whatever it is!!!!
Brett

handi2

It's getting to 24F down here in north Florida. They are closing the schools.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Tightlines667

Water temp dropped from 75 to 74 this last week.  The first Striped Marlin showed up with the colder water.

That is quite the image there!

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

David Hall

I'd turn around and go back inside!

gstours

The good thing about cold means no people.  Its a rare thing.   sometimes to see nothing except mother nature talking to you real quietly.

Ya ,  its cold out butt when you get home your kitty is always wondering what your doin and saves you some quality time indoors.

Tightlines667

Went to an el Nino briefing from the NWS today. 

We are in an official La Nino event (Dec17-March18). 

This coupled with a negative North Pacific Decadal Oscillation pattern spells...

-Much colder and somewhat drier weather for AK, and North Central US.
-Southwest is somewhat wetter, warmer
-NE is wetter
-SE is drier, warmer
-Warmer water off of West Coast
-Colder water East Coast
-Warmer water HI

-Generally El Nino and positive NPDO index leads to much more productivity, oceanographic heterogeneity, and better fishing in Hawaiian waters, and La Nina means the opposite.

-The opposite holds true for West coast, so better fishing

-This also means less storms in N. Pacific, and they are further east

-More Intense storms in the N. Atlantic and GOM

-Southern Ocean Basins are opposite, so...

-SW Pacific is warmer/wetter stronger storms
-SE Pacific is colder, drier less storms

-Indian Ocean is still in a positive decadal oscillation so this offsets the la niƱa effects, and leads to more typical conditions, which extend to S Africa.

Personally, I am hoping we get El Nino (even if it's weak) conditions May-July, to help mitigate the effects of the negative NPDO trend, and help the fishing.

Highly migratory pelagic species catch rates definitely show trends that line up pretty well with the NPDO, and El Nino curves, though sometimes they are shifted a bit to the right.  By this I mean the better or poorer catch rates may lag behind the shift. 

Of course these large-scale series don't predict finer scale events as well, and just speak to overall trends.  In other words you can still have a warm water blob intrude into cooler waters, or features temporarily develop, in a typically feature-poor environment.  This might result in hot fishing in the midst of a poor fishing season/year.

Just thought I'd share some thoughts I had regarding the presentation.

Don't mean to threadjack here.

John

Hope springs eternal

day0ne

The usual around here. 10 degrees with surrounding areas as low as -3. Supposed to be mid 70's by Saturday. Surprised we don't crack due to temp change.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

gstours

Thanks for the info,s  as usual in some parts 60f is cold.  Personally tho I like the 4 seasons to make life more interesting.  As a modern people it seems like we are spoiled and soft.   Times change just like the weather patterns.  Were the old timers making up stuff about how tough they had it?
    The El Nino water patterns generally make for poorer salmon production,  survival rates are poor,  So whats bad for you m9ight be good for the other person.  Seems like new records in the weather are more often discussed and reported in the "news".
    I remember a friend last year on the Columbia River stopped fishing for the fall salmon when the river water temp rose abofe 70 degrees and went tuna fishing off the Oregon coast as the warm water moved the fish in close enough for small sport boats.
   I hope everybody gets to fish,  thats half the fun. :-*

Tightlines667

That is the good news...

a negative NPDO shift, and la Nino conditions should translate to much better conditions for the Pacific Salmon.
Hope springs eternal

Army_of_One

Quote from: gstours on January 19, 2018, 04:20:57 AM
  The good thing about cold means no people.  Its a rare thing.   sometimes to see nothing except mother nature talking to you real quietly.
[snip]
  Ya ,  its cold out butt when you get home your kitty is always wondering what your doin and saves you some quality time indoors.
[snip]
Those other pictures mean nothing.  I can't unsee the first pic now and that seems like an emergency situation to me.  :o  As Keith mentioned, our region of FL closed schools because there were hazardous driving conditions(that's spelled I C E for those up north).   :-[  I couldn't survive where you do.  I got made fun of, on a June trip to Montana, because I didn't know what the "foam" on the top of the water was.
Another day in Paradise!