Caught a Feathered One

Started by Hardy Boy, January 16, 2018, 07:24:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy Boy

I caught an unusual one yesterday..... a Bald Eagle !! We got a call at work that the accountant up the street had an injured Bald Eagle in their yard. We called the Conservation Officer and he could not make it, but the vets office would take it in for observation and send it too the wildlife rescue center if needed. By this time the Eagle had ended up in the side yard by our office.He could run and glide but not fly. So I got one of our nets and had a go. well let me tell you and eagle can run fast. It then took off and glided into the fence, fell to the ground, I saw my chance so I charged, it ran, I caught up to it, it flopped over on its back, talons up and hissed like there was no tomorrow, I netted it, Eagles fight hard,covered with a blanket, gloves on grabbed talons, and got in in a tote. Off to the vet it went. Its still there for observation. No broken bones so hopefully it recovers and gets released. This is the second Eagle I have rescued. Here are some pics. One in the office yard , one in the tote and one in the pen at the vet.

Todd

David Hall

That is to cool, hope it does well and gets back to inspiring the spirit of America soon.

Tightlines667

Wow!

Pretty crazy stuff there. 

I hear tales of Alaska fisheries observers witnessing or participating in the process of removing bald eagles from open crab traps on commercial fishing boats. 

Well done!

Hopefully there is a good Samaritan law here or something yo protect the individual, cause technically an annual permit from the USFWS is needed to handle and protected, esa-listed, or highly migratory species listed in the MBTA.  I think there was a petition awhile back to de-list the bald eagle since there numbers have rebounded, but as far as I know they are still afforded protection from the ESA, and the Bald Eagle Act. 

I wouldn't worry about it, especially since you informed the authorities.  The rescue centers all have valid permits.  Just a thought.

Nice work!

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Crow

Good job ! Glad you were there to help !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Hardy Boy

John: I work for DFO (Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada and Coast Guard) and we work closely with the Provincial Government officials (only one provincial enforcement officer in town and very busy). That is why we get called when things like this happen, especially in a small town. People always come to the nearest Government office for assistance (even if it is the wrong one). Over the years I have seen and we have helped deal with Eagles alive and dead, seabirds alive and dead, sea otters alive and dead, Sea lions alive and dead, seals alive and dead,dead killer whales, dead humpback whales and all sorts of marine creatures that people bring in for identification.

We are lucky that the local vet office will assist with injured raptors and other large birds.

You are correct though that folks should not handle wildlife on their own.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

conchydong

That is so cool. I love Raptors.  I feed doves in my backyard and  have a red shouldered hawk that makes a couple passes a day and I have witnessed a few mid air catches. I wish I was more fluent in videoing on my cell phone to try and catch it live one day but I am not. Maybe someday I will buy a Go Pro or an equivalent knock off and try it.

Good on you for helping a injured or discombobulated Eagle.
I have a lot of Ospreys that circle overhead daily but not any Bald Eagles in my neck of the woods although there are a lot in Florida.

Scott

Swami805

Good job, that's pretty cool. Wouldn't want to be on the bussiness end of a mad eagle.  I have a cranky old parrot and her beak is like a can opener, nothing compared to an eagle I bet.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Three se7ens

Quote from: conchydong on January 17, 2018, 12:10:26 AM
  That is so cool. I love Raptors.  I feed doves in my backyard and  have a red shouldered hawk that makes a couple passes a day and I have witnessed a few mid air catches. I wish I was more fluent in videoing on my cell phone to try and catch it live one day but I am not. Maybe someday I will buy a Go Pro or an equivalent knock off and try it.

Good on you for helping a injured or discombobulated Eagle.
I have a lot of Ospreys that circle overhead daily but not any Bald Eagles in my neck of the woods although there are a lot in Florida.

Scott

There is a hawk that lives in the vicinity of my neighborhood, and on two occasions now I have seen it pull a squirrel from my back yard, and fly off with it. 

Birds of prey are spectacular creatures, and I love seeing them.  I saw a bald eagle when I was out fishing recently.  Ive known we have them in this area, but you do not see them much.  Far more likely to see an osprey when on the water, or hawks on land. 

Jim Fujitani

I've witnessed many a songbird, dove, blackbird, and magpie taken by hawks from our yards (and my Mother-in-law's when she was alive).  And based upon the speeds of the raptors, the prey should be watching for the raptors that aren't calling or circling, because that attracts attention....like a calling card.

It is amazing, the power from the speed of even a small raptor is enough to knock the prey silly and open to continued attack, even if the talons miss on first strike.  The small hawk that took the magpie had trouble fighting it and lifting off because it was the same size.

steelfish

amazing, well done John!

living in the desert of Baja I have seen many wild animals that many peaple have to pay to see.

its really cool to being driving to my work and see an royal eagle and other eagle kinds, falcon(Hawks), buzzard, etc standing on a telephone pole next to my office, or wait for a 25" lizzard to cross my path to get to my car.

The Baja Guy