Show your best yard sale find (or next restoration)

Started by Carl L, January 16, 2018, 11:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carl L

Ok, I love treasure hunting.. No wonder Alan's site is so great!! Let's see everyones dusty "new" vintage project reel, tackle; or recent garage sale/pawnshop/online treasure that you snuck in past the wife haha.... pic is me.. I have no earthly idea how to post this to my profile.. (And I have tried many times with note5 phone)

conchydong

The best deal I have ever got was at a Marine Flea market when I got a good condition 12/0 loaded with monel for $50.00. The owner must have been away and left someone else in charge because when I started my negotiating lowball bid , he accepted and I almost fell over. The wire alone was worth more than that.

Shark Hunter

Carl,
I normally have the ability to add an Avatar to a members profile, but it won't let me do it for some reason.
You need to add that pic to your profile.
Welcome!,
Daron
Life is Good!

Midway Tommy

I learned a long time ago that it's better not to sneak.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Shark Hunter

No sneaking here Tommy.
Just doing want Moderators are supposed to do. ;)
I have helped members with this in the past, but This Go Daddy stuff has some issues now and then.
Life is Good!

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Shark Hunter on January 17, 2018, 02:05:04 AM
No sneaking here Tommy.
Just doing want Moderators are supposed to do. ;)
I have helped members with this in the past, but This Go Daddy stuff has some issues now and then.

Daron, that wasn't directed toward you or the avatar thing. It was directed at Carl's reels "snuck in past the wife" scenario since that's what the thread started out as.  :o If a guy got caught sneakin' a reel in he'd probably be in more trouble than actually buying one.  ;)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Shark Hunter

10-4 on that Tommy. ;)
If I drop a couple hundred on a reel. There is no sneaking.
Life is Good!

Keta

Where I live a 209 is considered a "deep sea reel" and the rare reels worth picking up are usually way over valued by the seller, like a 114H with a cracked handle side sideplate for $90.00 and no budging on the price.  My wife did pick up a very nice black 4/0 for $5.00 though.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

steelfish

well, Im not a lucky guy when it comes to find bairgains or extreme good deals on yard sales or fleabay, etc but from time to time find a deal that match my spare budget for fishing toys on fleamarket or yard sale, if I have to chose the "best yard sale find", that it should be a black 113 senator that a guy was selling along other beat-up reels on a crate.
I needed to take a closer look on the old blacky senator because it had some "funny" sideplates and handle, I took it and asked the seller guy how much he wanted to for the old beat up black one, he told naah I dont know, its really old, its too slow and weak, give me $20 for it or make me an offer.
I said, you know, I will give you the $20 bucks dont worry.

then I took the reel, get into my car and step on the gas as if I was robbering a bank and didnt stop until getting to my house parking, took a look around searching for police follow me and when I saw there was noone follow me I took the reel to a secure place into my home

it was a Baja Special reel, on really good working conditions but some really bad scratches and some corrosion on the frame.
its not my next restoration because that happened a year ago and the reel already have another frame and its been already restored to the max, is even using a Tom's bridge assembly upgrade.
you can see some of that here
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13018.30

The Baja Guy

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

You did good Alex! Now lets hope the guy is not a member here, he'll probably come and get it back ;D...good job!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

steelfish

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 17, 2018, 07:18:47 PM
You did good Alex! Now lets hope the guy is not a member here,

Sh!!!tt !!  you're right, now I should delete everything, to tell the truth at the end it wasnt working at all, I throw it to the trash can few weeks later  ;D ;D
The Baja Guy

bill19803

a  year  ago i  was  chatting  with  an  acquaintence  in CA   who is a  long  range   veteran   and  he   was in  big  need  of   some  raider  lures for a  trip  to the  rocks.  When i  started    going long  range    someone recommended  i   get  a  bunch of  raiders   so  i  dropped a  bunch of   bucks  on  them. Fast  foreward   i never  used  them. So i  boxed  up a   dozen  and sent them  cross  country. A  big  thank  you  note    from  friend   and  all was well. A   couple  weeks later a  box appears on   porch   Hmm  its from  Ca  friend.   Heavy  too. Bring it in  and open  it up    2  full accurate wahoo  specials   with a  note   Had these  just  laying  around  thought  you  might be  able  to use  them.   I  havent used  them  yet  but i  sure  will   this  fall,   Meanwhile  they  went to  Sal   for his   wizzardry   and    got    Striper Lou  to make  2  fantastic  red  creations   to  replace  the  accurate handles   to  complete  the  conversion.Not  quite a  find  but a heck of a gift.

Alto Mare

Quote from: bill19803 on March 20, 2018, 10:15:30 AM
a  year  ago i  was  chatting  with  an  acquaintence  in CA   who is a  long  range   veteran   and  he   was in  big  need  of   some  raider  lures for a  trip  to the  rocks.  When i  started    going long  range    someone recommended  i   get  a  bunch of  raiders   so  i  dropped a  bunch of   bucks  on  them. Fast  foreward   i never  used  them. So i  boxed  up a   dozen  and sent them  cross  country. A  big  thank  you  note    from  friend   and  all was well. A   couple  weeks later a  box appears on   porch   Hmm  its from  Ca  friend.   Heavy  too. Bring it in  and open  it up    2  full accurate wahoo  specials   with a  note   Had these  just  laying  around  thought  you  might be  able  to use  them.   I  havent used  them  yet  but i  sure  will   this  fall,   Meanwhile  they  went to  Sal   for his   wizzardry   and    got    Striper Lou  to make  2  fantastic  red  creations   to  replace  the  accurate handles   to  complete  the  conversion.Not  quite a  find  but a heck of a gift.
I remember those Bill, very nice and capable reels:

Good things happen to good guys, I'm not surprised you got those.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

steelfish

awesome payback gift

btw, what size is a wahoo special?
The Baja Guy