Screwdriver purchase!

Started by Scattergun2570, January 17, 2018, 12:59:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scattergun2570

Quote from: alantani on January 18, 2018, 03:06:37 AM
i don't think rick will mind if i post this. 

On Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 1:10:11 PM PST, Hascup, Rick <rhascup@jdvproducts.com> wrote:

Hello Alan,

One of your Forum colleagues called us and mentioned that he needed a J.I.S. (Japanese Industrial Standard) version of the Phillips tip screwdriver to repair his fishing reel.

We are the U.S. Partner of VESSEL Co. Japan, a 100 hundred year old Industrial Tool Manufacturer that actually created the J.I.S. version Cross-point tip. Check out VESSEL's

Hand Tool & Bits catalog at https://www.vesseltools.com/downloads/ca185.pdf

Alan, can we interest you and your Forum members a discount on VESSEL's J.I.S. Cross-points? They fit the Japanese screw perfectly and will not "cam-out" as the Phillips U.S. version Tips.

See explanation below:

Surprising, very few people are aware that they need the J.I.S. tip. Once they try it there's no going back to the Phillips! I would be more than happy to send you a sample

To test them? Your forum members will be ecstatic! It really is a big deal. Can we have a dialog with you? It will be truly appreciated. Thanks Alan!

Best Regards,

Rick Hascup

Corporate Sales       

JDV Products Inc. 

22-01 Raphael Street, Fair Lawn, NJ 07410

Ph: 201-796-1720 Ext. 228

Rhascup@JDVproducts.com

www.jdvproducts.com  www.Reelcaddy.com

www.vesseltools.com   www.standardpneumatic.com

Description: cid:image002.png@01D37419.62A26290

Description: cid:image003.png@01D37419.62A26290

SO does this mean all my Daiwa reels have JIS not Phillips?

sdlehr

Depending on which reels one collects/services one can sometimes (often?) not ever get enough screwdrivers/bits of appropriate size/length. It's much easier to find/make the right screwdriver than it is to find/make a replacement screw for a 100-yr old reel. I think we should investigate his offer and see if we can get a big order together, or some kind of discount on individual orders (let them do the shipping).
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

bhale1

I agree,...
Since this thread started I've been on Google and YouTube educating myself on screwdrivers! Lots of info out there, but not that easy to find quality JIS sets here. This sounds like a great opportunity for all😁
Brett

swill88

For a comparison.
http://stores.ebay.com/shin0006?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Ships from Japan I believe but I've bought from this store with success. Some free shipping.

Steve

foakes

Wow, they really have a complete and detailed product line!

Very interesting  & innovative.

These are lifetime Pro tools at very good prices.

Nice to see a company help our members like this, also.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Scattergun2570

Quote from: foakes on January 18, 2018, 03:37:47 PM
Wow, they really have a complete and detailed product line!

Very interesting  & innovative.

These are lifetime Pro tools at very good prices.

Nice to see a company help our members like this, also.

Best,

Fred

fred does this mean my daiwa reels all have JIS screws?

foakes

Yes, most likely -- the JIS drivers will probably fit perfectly in one of (3) sizes.

Typically, the Daiwa reels have cheaper screws that strip heads easily if the improper drivers are used (you know, they sort of don't seat well and tend to skip, goobering up the head of the screw).

Pretty cheap to just purchase the right JIS heads.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Scattergun2570

Quote from: foakes on January 19, 2018, 06:46:59 AM

Yes, most likely -- the JIS drivers will probably fit perfectly in one of (3) sizes.

Typically, the Daiwa reels have cheaper screws that strip heads easily if the improper drivers are used (you know, they sort of don't seat well and tend to skip, goobering up the head of the screw).

Best,

So did I waste my money on my Wera and Wiha I just picked up?

Fred

foakes

Quote from: Scattergun2570 on January 19, 2018, 08:48:47 PM

For working on various reels -- one needs various screwdrivers to match various heads -- so the results are not various -- but consistant and professional.

Just pick up a few of the JIS bit heads from Vessel-- and you will be ready for anything.

Vessel looks like they have a great line-up of tools --

The company and Corporate Sales Manager, Rick -- seem like a good match for many of our applications.

I am looking forward to trying some of their products, and will pass along the results to our site.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Scattergun2570

Quote from: foakes on January 19, 2018, 09:10:41 PM
Quote from: Scattergun2570 on January 19, 2018, 08:48:47 PM

For working on various reels, one needs various screwdrivers to match various heads -- so the results are not various -- but consistant and professional.

Just pick up a few of the JIS bit heads from Vessel-- and you will be ready for anything.

Vessel looks like they have a great line-up of tools --

The company and Corporate Sales Manager, Rick -- seem like a good match for many of our applications.

I am looking forward to trying some of their products, and will pass along the results to our site.

Best,

Fred

Scattergun2570

Quote from: foakes on January 19, 2018, 06:46:59 AM

Best,

So even though they are making the reels in China and Malaysia etc..the screws ar still JIS.?

Fred

Tiddlerbasher

In my experience most of the asian reels use a JIS head screw. Sometimes a good quality Wiha  or Wera bit will fit ok (but not always :-\). For the cost of a few $s why not just buy the JIS bits ??? It saves a lot of grief ;)

alantani

rick with jvd products says he will put together a link for you with a coupon code for a discount in a few days for anyone ordering through the site.  personally, i'm ok just fumbling along as i have, but i can see where they would really help.  goodness know's i've messed up enough shimano and daiwa screws.  at least now i know why!   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Scattergun2570

Quote from: alantani on January 20, 2018, 03:40:53 AM
rick with jvd products says he will put together a link for you with a coupon code for a discount in a few days for anyone ordering through the site.  personally, i'm ok just fumbling along as i have, but i can see where they would really help.  goodness know's i've messed up enough shimano and daiwa screws.  at least now i know why!   :-\

ill be waiting for that link,,i like to have the right stuff..

foakes

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on January 17, 2018, 11:43:52 AM
If you arm yourself with a set of Vessel bits sizes 1, 2 and 3 these will fit both Philips and JIS.

Here is all that is needed for most of our work --

The differences and advantage is readily apparent -- and just as a hollow ground screwdriver of the proper fit is best for slotted screws -- the JIS is right for most Phillips, particularly the Asian type screws.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.