Screwdriver purchase!

Started by Scattergun2570, January 17, 2018, 12:59:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reel man

Again, when someone finally comes up with a good assortment (kit) I would order one for me.

Tiddlerbasher

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on October 21, 2018, 11:05:52 AM
Size 0, 1 and 2 Vessel bits will cover just about every reel (including Asian reels) that has cross head screws. I have been using them for years :) For slot head screws I use Wiha hollow ground bits (sometimes Wera laser tipped drivers). Just remember Vessel cross point bits (drivers) will fit both JIS and Phillips screws - just for Phillips screws I find that Wera laser head drivers work very well.

If the screws are plated avoid the lazer tips (and similar) - they will screw the plating ;)

desertfox

Quote from: reel man on February 25, 2019, 07:53:22 PM
Again, when someone finally comes up with a good assortment (kit) I would order one for me.

I never did see a "reel screwdriver set" that Rick was considering doing but I did run onto another source that had several kits that looked right for reels https://www.rjrcooltools.com/screwdrivers/jis/ I ordered some smaller sized kits and a nice bit set all in JIS as well as some larger sizes for Japanese motorcycles.

desertfox

Update on JIS screwdriver order from RJR. Fast and very reasonable shipping cost, here are some of the tools I ordered, I really like the bit set.

oc1

OK... this has been bugging me.  Maybe this as good a place as any to ask.

The Phillips head screw was designed to cam out.  Presumably this is so the driver will slip in the screw head before it can apply enough torque to damage the work piece.  I can see how this could be a benefit on an assembly line especially if the driver does not have a reliable slip clutch. 

A screw that cams out when being screwed in will not necessarily cam out when being removed.  When being removed, the driver grabs the screw head on the undamaged side of the cross.  But, if a screw cams out going in, then there is a decent chance it will cam out again when being removed just because it was in there pretty tight.  When they throw in some Loctite it get even more interesting. We've all been there.

These days we have drivers with adjustable clutches, especially in an assembly line setting.  So, why in the heck are we still using Phillips head screws at all?  Why isn't JIS the norm worldwide? 

-steve

Keta

Quote from: oc1 on March 09, 2019, 07:34:39 AMWhy isn't JIS the norm worldwide? 

I would guess inertia and tooling cost to change over.  Torx works well.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Reel 224

Sometimes Tools have to be customized to a certain configuration, such as reel parts, screws and such. One size will not fit all situations and don't expect it to come in a kit. Often company's like Ford,Penn and may others come up with specially made tool to make a job faster and more efficient, most of them were designed by workers.

Joe   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Pierce

Want to make the purchase, but looking at the shipping price I decline  :'( :'( :'(

reel man

I would suggest having spare screws in your inventory to replace damaged ones. Some manufacturers have the torque settings way too high, so when the reel needs servicing the screws will be damaged when removed, and even more damaged when reinstalled.

Pierce

Is there a online site for screw purchase?  I know bearings they got many online site.

Reel 224

Quote from: Pierce on March 28, 2019, 10:15:26 PM
Is there a online site for screw purchase?  I know bearings they got many online site.

McMasters Car ttps://www.mcmaster.com/screws and https://www.mysticparts.com/default.aspx
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Scattergun2570

Quote from: Pierce on March 28, 2019, 11:49:58 AM
Want to make the purchase, but looking at the shipping price I decline  :'( :'( :'(

Honestly,,after using these Vessels for over a year,,I am not that impressed. The Wera Pozi Drives I have hold better,the Vessels cam out,the Pozi Drives do not.

Tiddlerbasher

Quote from: Scattergun2570 on April 14, 2019, 02:00:46 AM

Honestly,,after using these Vessels for over a year,,I am not that impressed. The Wera Pozi Drives I have hold better,the Vessels cam out,the Pozi Drives do not.

I have used Vessels JIS screwdrivers for years - never had a cam out problem - Jis for asian screws and phillips (or ordinary phillips). Phillips and Pozi drive are completely different designs and not interchangeable. One will definitely screw-up the other (yeah I know ::))
https://bsfixings.uk/the-difference-between-phillips-and-pozi-screw

Wera and Wiha both make excellent screwdrivers - I use both along with Vessels :)

Then we have Frearson ::)

Scattergun2570

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on April 14, 2019, 09:36:09 AM
Quote from: Scattergun2570 on April 14, 2019, 02:00:46 AM

I have used Vessels JIS screwdrivers for years - never had a cam out problem - Jis for asian screws and phillips (or ordinary phillips). Phillips and Pozi drive are completely different designs and not interchangeable. One will definitely screw-up the other (yeah I know ::))
https://bsfixings.uk/the-difference-between-phillips-and-pozi-screw

Wera and Wiha both make excellent screwdrivers - I use both along with Vessels :)

Then we have Frearson ::)

Maybe I don`t have pozi drive,,? I cant recall,I know that they have Lazer Tip..and all I am saying is they don`t slip like the Vessels..If I apply the same pressure while turning,the Vessel always slips off,the Lazer Tip does not.

Recoil Rob

Anyone tried this set from Vessel? It has the P 0-1-2 suggested for reel work, looks cheap enough and the only P#0 JIS blade I could find on their site. Only thing, they mention the P0 is JCIS, Japanese Camera Industry Standard, will that make a difference?

https://www.vesseltools.com/handtools/screwdrivers/screwdriversets/4006hs-detail
thanks,

Rob
My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
   - Errol Flynn