Screwdriver purchase!

Started by Scattergun2570, January 17, 2018, 12:59:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Hascup

Attention:  I spoke to Alan and he suggested putting up the same post in several different spots to make sure the guys didn't miss it.....

If you are repairing a fishing reel made in Japan, you may need a JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) based Screwdriver or JIS-based screwdriver bit. The JIS Cross-point, which looks like a Phillips®, is designed to fit perfectly into Japanese screws and will not "cam-out" like a Phillips® does.

A JIS and a Phillips® screw may look the same to the human eye, but they have completely different profiles. Phillips® drivers do not seat as deeply into JIS screw heads as the JIS tips do, and will typically damage JIS screws.

The Phillips® design was a solution for automobile mass-production lines, and was designed to "cam-out" after a certain torque was reached to prevent over-tightening of the screw. The self-centering design allowed operators to engage the tip of the driver into the cross-point screw head very quickly and easily, which was an advantage over the use of flat head screws.

Since 1916, VESSEL was Japan's first volume manufacturer of screwdrivers and was a Key Member of the JIS (Japanese Industrial Standards) Association.  During that time, Japanese Engineers developed their own cross-point design similar to that of the Phillips®.  It was also self-centering and allowed the operator to engage the tip of the driver into the cross-point screw head quickly and easily.  However, the JIS design allowed torque and over-tightening to be controlled by the operator and not at the head of the screw.

A JIS screw can sometimes be identified by the presence of a small punch-mark of a dot or dimple on one side of the screw-head or an "X", but this is not always true and some may have no marking at all.  In many cases, a JIS screwdriver or screwdriver bits can be used with Phillips® screws too.

For additional details:  https://www.vesseltools.com/handtools/screwdrivers/whatsjis

JDV Products, Inc., the U.S. Partner to VESSEL Co. Japan, would like to offer a discount to all Reel Repair by Alan Tani forum members when placing an order on our website  https://www.vesseltools.com/handtools/screwdrivers/screwdriversets

During checkout, enter the code RRBATX2918 when prompted and you will automatically receive a 15% discount on all tools purchased.

NOTE:  Coupon cannot be applied to items that are currently on sale, discontinued, on clearance, and excludes limited edition and everyday low priced items.

If you have any questions please post here, or for faster response e-mail sales@vesseltools.com.

Thank you!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ReelPatina

I know this is an old thread , but what are the sets that most of you have ordered if you don't mind me asking?

bhale1

yep....me too... I tried to find a set for "reels"... Like a #00, #0, and a #1..and two of the smaller regular blades...
I think you just have to order them individually....But i have to look closer at the sets offered...interested in what others have done also ;D
Brett

Rick Hascup

We can create a "Tool Kit" for Reels. We can program it to appear when you put in the discount membership code. Is there any other "wish-list" tool other than 00, 0 & 1? Let me know. Happy Fishing! Rick. . .

ReelPatina

I just took delivery of one of the sets and upon opening the package I immediately was made aware that my understanding of sizes is way way off. With that being said they look great though.

What size should we be ordering?

Rick Hascup

It's based on the screw size. Ask your colleagues what size screw heads are in your manufactured Reel. You can also call some local repair shops and identify your model Reel and ask them. Hope this helps. Rick. . .

Frank

When you guys come up with a kit for reels I will definitely take one. A lot of people on here with way more knowledge then me in this matter so I'll wait and see what the pros suggest.
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

Frank

Quote from: Rick Hascup on October 03, 2018, 02:56:52 PM
We can create a "Tool Kit" for Reels. We can program it to appear when you put in the discount membership code. Is there any other "wish-list" tool other than 00, 0 & 1? Let me know. Happy Fishing! Rick. . .

Hey Rick,

Just checking to see if you are still on here.

Frank

Tiddlerbasher

Size 0, 1 and 2 Vessel bits will cover just about every reel (including Asian reels) that has cross head screws. I have been using them for years :) For slot head screws I use Wiha hollow ground bits (sometimes Wera laser tipped drivers). Just remember Vessel cross point bits (drivers) will fit both JIS and Phillips screws - just for Phillips screws I find that Wera laser head drivers work very well.

Frank

Thanks Tiddlerbasher. I'll take your advise. Would love to see Rick put a reel kit together.

MeanMachine

Here a good video on JIS 

https://www.turfnet.com/turfnet-tv.html/hector/hectors-shop-phillips-or-jis-r610/ 

Did anyone decide what is the best ones to get for working on reels?

I was leaning towards the Megadora

Are the JIS and Jawsfit the same? 

Any input is appreciated

foakes

Great video, Damian —

Thanks!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tiddlerbasher

'Jawsfit' tips are still a JIS profile but thay have micro/mini ridges that bite into the screw head - similar principle to Wera 'Laser' tips. These do work very well. But probably best NOT used on plated screws - they will screw-up the plating ;)

MeanMachine