New 16VS belleville set-up does not match schematic

Started by TBlever, January 17, 2018, 09:28:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TBlever

I have experience with Penn Jigmasters, 113s, baitcasters and spinners, but I am new to lever drags so I have a few questions.

I recently bought a new 16VS and when I opened it to grease the screws and see if I could get more than the 11 lbs. of strike drag noted on the card, I found the bellevilles were different from the schematic.  Instead of the schematic layout of a pair of 16VS and a pair of 12T bellevilles in a ()() orientation, I found one taller (19mm), thin washer (12T?) and three shorter (18mm), thicker washers (16VS?) in a (()) orientation.  If I change them to a ()() arrangement, the reel grinds/clicks a bit while cranking at the "Strike" setting, so I have left them in the original (()) position.

Is it unusual for a reel to come this way from the factory?  Might Penn have had to mess with the stack because something was slightly out of alignment?  Can I shim the spool in some way to stop the "grinding/clicking" and get to my preferred ()() stack so I can have greater drag range for trolling?

Thanks all-

Tightlines667

I have not worked on these particular models.  There is a design change noted (w/different schematic) for all serial #s >J100001, bit both schematics show the same ()() with (2 being 18-12T thin, and 2 being 18-12V, thick).  Not sure why the factory would have changed stock config w/o showing it on the schematic, but it's possible. 

It shouod be possible yo go with the stock config, but it sounds like your stick stack is too high, or there is some other spacing issue along the length of the spool shaft causing parts to contact that shouldn't.  You should determine where the contact is occurring (check for displaced grease or marks), and you can maybe remove or ad shims to get the correct clearances with the desired Belleville types/orientation.  May be a process of trial and error here. 

What you describe is strange, cause usually (()) is shorter then
()(), so the (()) may cause the clicker pawl retainer or the low speed main to contact the spool.  This can be easily corrected by shining in the stack to achieve the stock ()() height.  Your description indicates the opposite problem, which would mean that the spool needs to be moved left.  You might try a shim on top of the pinion bearing, or pinion gear here.  Or maybe remove one from the left side spool bearing.  Measuring the height of the stack that works and comparing the difference to the one that doesn't will give you a maximum distance to shim on the right, or remove from the left.

You really just need to play around here.  I would be tempted to order 4 or 5 new Bellevilles, and a few shims before attacking the problem

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.