Checking Out Bicycle Shop Lubes

Started by whalebreath, January 18, 2018, 02:25:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whalebreath

A few folks here have mentioned that certain products they'd like to try aren't available in their respective countries-I urge them (and everyone else) to check out what's on offer at local high end bicycle shops.

I just got my old Ritchey mtn bike powder coated by a shop I never did much business with in the past and am intrigued by some of the lube products they carry/intend to explore them further in the future.

Alto Mare

Yeah, I wanted to try a little Campagnolo, but was a little short on $$ ;D
The Shimano Premium Grease is used on high end bicycles, I really like it on my spinners and especially bearings.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Ron Jones

I have a dry Teflon chain lube that works great on bushings.
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bryan Young

Campagnolo, that not high end...it's super high end.  I almost bought and put together a Campagnolo bike... and after I saw the crash in a bike race...I decided that I didn't need to race anymore and didn't need such an expensive bike.

I have a bunch of other Teflon greases.  I haven't tried them yet.  I was going to use them on my reels but I keep forgetting.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

foakes

Along with the bike shop lubes -- another good place to try different lubricants that are out of the mainstream -- and very effective for certain applications...

Good skateboard & RC car shops.

For the skateboards, longboards, and remote control cars -- they all have bearings.  Plus there is a lot of specialized products to choose from.

The nature of these hobbies is strictly competition and speed.  So they are always trying out the newest and latest magic lubricants.  

I have bought some good, specialized stuff from these shops over the years.

My first 12 speed road bike was a Campagnolo.  Even back in 82, when I bought it from Herb Bauer's, here in town -- it ran me over $1200.  Now it may be 3 or 4 times that much.  Good components.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

erikpowell

Quote from: whalebreath on January 18, 2018, 02:25:44 AM
A few folks here have mentioned that certain products they'd like to try aren't available in their respective countries-I urge them (and everyone else) to check out what's on offer at local high end bicycle shops.

I just got my old Ritchey mtn bike powder coated by a shop I never did much business with in the past and am intrigued by some of the lube products they carry/intend to explore them further in the future.

Ritchey has always made some fine MTBs and road bikes.
I've always liked to have one.
Good on ya for keeping it alive.

Steel is Real  !!

Rivverrat

At least 90% or more of all bikes here in the US are now manufactured by a very few places in Taiwan. Which really isnt such a bad thing.
Any of the big fashionable, named after some racer fella who made bikes bikes from the 60's 70's to early 90's, if they are  still around & have not been sucked up under the some corporate umbrella, will have their corporate office some where that is considered to be an IN spot to those in the bike culture, designing bikes there & having them built in Taiwan.

If any of these fashionable bike makers has someone in the back actually building bikes with torch, by hand, prices will start over $5000 & a $100000 bike from such a place is anything but a rare thing. I love bikes ! I own seven. But can do with the culture that surrounds the various venues of todays bike culture. Though I'm around it frequently at races.... Jeff

I've been using Phil Whites Tenacious Oil instead of grease for almost a decade.  It has performed just like Rocket Fuels Liquid Grease but comes in a bigger bottle for half the price.

handi2

Shimano Dura Ace Premium Grease. Its good..!!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

happyhooker

Good suggestions, folks, on the lubes.  Got a Velo Schauff with Campy derailleurs, circa the mid-1980s.  Bikes & bike parts have followed a similar history to fishing reels; back in the "old days", French gear from Huret and Simplex, Campy stuff from Italy & a few others dominated a big chunk of the market; the so-called "Japanese bike explosion" in the '70s started the turn toward Asian production & quality was still OK; today, there is a big China presence, Shimano may or may not be making their stuff in Japan, Campy is specialized/top end/expensive, and I don't even know if Huret, Simplex, Atom, Maillard, Gitane or any of the other French cos. are making anything in France or it they're even still in business.

Frank