Rainbow trout

Started by pjstevko, January 19, 2018, 01:41:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjstevko

A friend and I spent the morning chasing trout in the Kaweah River today. We hit a few deep pools in Sequoia Park but ended up skunked. At our last stop I finally got a trout to hit my panther martin.  It was a nice 12 inch rainbow and the first one I've caught in 25 years..... I'll be hitting these local spots again soon....

Carl L

What a beauty !! Thanks for sharing !

mo65

I love fishing a trout stream...and those Panther Martin spinners too!
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Reel 224

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Benni3

Nice rainbow and great picture  ;D

Shark Hunter

Awesome!
Its been 35 years since I caught one. ;)
Life is Good!

Swami805

What a beautiful fish and great place to fish. I know know you want to catch a yellowtail but I think I'd trade your day there for a day on a cattle boat chasing yellows.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

pjstevko

Quote from: Swami805 on January 19, 2018, 03:09:22 AM
What a beautiful fish and great place to fish. I know know you want to catch a yellowtail but I think I'd trade your day there for a day on a cattle boat chasing yellows.

There's no way I'd take that deal..... I more of a salt water fisherman all the way!

I'd trade 2 dozen rainbow trout for 1 yellowtail

erikpowell

Nice catch! and in a beautiful area too.

I used to guide raft trips on the Kaweah and have caught some nice rainbows there in the boulder gardens just above Three Rivers up to the park entrance
There are also good spots on the less fished tributaries like the North and South Forks of the Kaweah.
NorthFork has deep pool after Cherry Falls..... Secret fishing spot 15 years back  ;)
There was also a good trout hole on the So Fork right where William Shatners property is.
We always boated in, but Cherry Falls you can walk to.
Landowners were the biggest hurdle up there though...they own to the center of the river and are often protective of their rocks and pools.  :(
But you probably know that already :)

pjstevko

Quote from: erikpowell on January 19, 2018, 03:35:56 AM
Nice catch! and in a beautiful area too.

I used to guide raft trips on the Kaweah and have caught some nice rainbows there in the boulder gardens just above Three Rivers up to the park entrance
There are also good spots on the less fished tributaries like the North and South Forks of the Kaweah.
NorthFork has deep pool after Cherry Falls..... Secret fishing spot 15 years back  ;)
There was also a good trout hole on the So Fork right where William Shatners property is.
We always boated in, but Cherry Falls you can walk to.
Landowners were the biggest hurdle up there though...they own to the center of the river and are often protective of their rocks and pools.  :(
But you probably know that already :)

Yeah water/river access in this area is terrible..... I just started fresh water fishing for trout again and will have to check out the North/South Fork

Cherry falls huh..... Never heard of it... I'll have to research it

Tightlines667

Pretty fish, beautiful scenery there.  Come to think of it, it's been 19 years since I have caught one as well. 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Keta

Nice.  I live in trout country but prefer steelhead for freshwater fishing and live for saltwater fish.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

wow, haven't done that kind of fishing since i was a kid!!!!!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

Nice fat 'Bow, PJ.

Did you use the Mitchell 3000 or?

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Keta

Quote from: alantani on January 19, 2018, 07:33:23 AM
wow, haven't done that kind of fishing since i was a kid!!!!!   ;D

If you can pull your eyes away from your scope we can do a trout day when you come up.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain