Is Okuma building Quantum reels now?

Started by Pro Reel, January 19, 2018, 01:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothmar2

I mentioned Alan Hawk earlier in this thread. I went to his blog to see what he has been working on, and immediately read this post....

http://www.alanhawk.com/blog/rotr.html

Quite depressing really. Towards the end of the article when the numbers come in, you realise the cess-pit the online retail word really is. Can't help but wonder how many of Haibo's associated brands invest in practices described in the above article.

So when I see Fred and others giving glowing reviews on items (tools etc.) on this forum, I will always check these items out. Probably the most trustworthy reviews on the internet can be found here on this forum.

Cor

Quote from: Rothmar2 on January 20, 2018, 10:09:30 PM
I mentioned Alan Hawk earlier in this thread. I went to his blog to see what he has been working on, and immediately read this post....

http://www.alanhawk.com/blog/rotr.html

Quite depressing really. Towards the end of the article when the numbers come in, you realise the cess-pit the online retail word really is. Can't help but wonder how many of Haibo's associated brands invest in practices described in the above article.

So when I see Fred and others giving glowing reviews on items (tools etc.) on this forum, I will always check these items out. Probably the most trustworthy reviews on the internet can be found here on this forum.
I am very sceptical of anything I read, particularly on the internet and because of that probably also add a little sugar to the above blog, but bye and large, I would believe what is written there.

An example;   We sometimes use Airbnb for holiday accommodation and found them pretty reasonable, until we arrived at our (expensive) overnight accomodation at a spot in Ireland.    I immediately saw something was wrong when we stopped our car, the place looked from the outside like it needed serious maintenance.   Inside it was filthy, the microwave covered with sticky gunge like a reel that has not been opened for  10 years, everything was tacky and dirty.    One toilet stank.

We set very high standards of hygiene, therefore I sometimes have to say to the wife that we need to accept that people have different standard, regardless of how we see it!

To cut a long story short, the place had very good ratings, not one was negative or had a negative word in it until we got there!   All photos were taken in such a way that they only showed the good aspects.   It was in no way possible that the place had become like that in a month and I kept on asking myself how this was possible?

I complained to the owner and to Airbnb.   The latter was not easy to start a dispute with, but once I had the right contact it worked fairly smoothly and Airbnb refunded half of what I paid.   OK, my faith was a little restored, but in reality they should have refunded everything, that is what I would have done if it was my business.

PS I am only mentioning Airbnb, as an example of how this can go wrong.   It was not my intention to run them down or give them bad publicity.   We have used them a number of times for holiday accomodation and have mostly been very satisfied and usually found them good value for money with hosts that go out of their way to please.
Cornelis

Mumin

this is what their homepaige says ->

- ALL SEIGLER REELS ARE 100% MADE IN THE USA

- Avet Reels are all designed, machined and assembled in our factory in Chatsworth California. Every part including all internals are made in house with the exception of the bearings which are sourced from several suppliers around the Los Angeles area.

- Accurate, Handcrafted in the USA

- Shimano, didn`t find direct comments about manufacturing.

- Daiwa, didn`t find direct comments about manufacturing.

What do you think about these coments?

Gfish

Read the same thing about Avet reels. The term "Handcrafted" for Accurate...??? Could mean whatever they want it to. Raw materials are one thing, but in house fabricating/manufacturing is another... They fab.& man. their own ARB's? Seigler: again, godda define the term "made".
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

boon

Quote from: Mumin on January 21, 2018, 11:25:32 AM
this is what their homepaige says ->

- Shimano, didn`t find direct comments about manufacturing.

- Daiwa, didn`t find direct comments about manufacturing.

What do you think about these coments?

Shimano and Daiwa manufacture such a range of reels that it's unsurprising that they are made in different places. Their flagship reels (Stella and Saltiga respectively) are made in Japan, as are the next couple down the food chain, but in Shimano's case many of the lower end reels are made in Malaysia; with Daiwa some of the midrange (like the Lexa I just bought) are made in Korea. In both cases I don't know where their very cheap reels are made as I don't own many, just an older lower-end Daiwa that was made in Vietnam.