the international sportsmen's expo, sacramento, ca - 2018

Started by alantani, January 19, 2018, 05:32:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

the international sportsmen's expo, sacramento, ca - 2018

the winter sports show season has just started on the west coast and the first one is the ISE in sacramento, california.  think of it as a primer for the fred hall show in long beach.  most of it is actually hunting, but one building is fishing.  i've seen it many times and it pretty much looks the same each year, but if you actually stop and talk to the guys, they have alot going on.

cost wise, it hasn't changed much at all.  parking is still $10, admission is still $15 but there are $3 off coupons everywhere, beer is $12, but after 5pm it's $5 for happy hour, and tri tip sandwiches (meat, bread roll and bbq sauce) with a coke is $18.  some aisles were packed, others not so bad.

on the fishing reel side, there was okuma, penn and daiwa.  notably, shimamo didn't even show up.  i had a chance to chat briefly with each to see what was going on.  meet okuma!

the world famous steve carson from penn!

and my old buddy, frank murata from daiwa!

rodwise, we had phenix, cousins and seeker.  we'll have to catch up with calstar and united composites at the fred hall show in march.  meet vince borges of phenix!

meet rick and ed, the owners of seeker!

cousins rods are very popular here in the bay area!

terminal tackle-wise, we have p-line here in the bay area.  they're actually only a half hour from the house and i've never been there.  gotta go visit sometime!  meet my buddy, thomas kanemoto!

and fisherman's warehouse has a no-tax sale going on at the show!

for electronics, the place in the bay area to go to is johnson-hicks in santa cruz.  meet darrel and joe!  i'll definitely get video next time.  these guys have all the best toys!

fishing publications were also well represented.  i was surprised to run into virginia at the western outdoor news booth.  i figured i'd better renew my subscription, especially since i had my photo in the last two issues!  

and will from bass angler magazine.

for local fishing, the yokomizu brothers are great guys to fish with!

there were plenty of destination resorts represented!

i've known mark for years!

meet jonathan from tail hunters!  

and for the guys looking to upgrade their reels a little, there were also some people to meet!

it's friday morning now.  the show opens at 11am today, and 10am on saturday and sunday.  check it out!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alans Buddy

That first Okuma pic looks like Larry Aaker from Lodi. He was in my bro"s class. Nice guy! He just joined the Grady club.

alantani

Quote from: Alans Buddy on January 19, 2018, 08:42:38 PM
That first Okuma pic looks like Larry Aaker from Lodi. He was in my bro"s class. Nice guy! He just joined the Grady club.

that's him, alright!  he volunteered to be deckhand when we take your boys out fishing!

swill88

Bryan Young

I loved the interviews.  Those new Penn's looks great.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

Thank You for taking us to the show Alan. ;D
Good Stuff.
Life is Good!

Benni3

Thanks alan,,,, and what was your favorite at the show

alantani

jonathan with tail hunter was funny.  he used to be a news reporter.  very smooth.  actually, the kind of smooth you want to make sure your daughters stay clear of!   ;D

the new penn internationals were fun to see.  hopefully they got their shifting problems straightened out. 

my favorite booth was phenix!  i love their rods for under 60# tackle.  very sexy rods!!!!!  expensive for sure, but they really are nice!

and then there is virginia at the western outdoor news booth.  she's a very sweet, very pretty young lady, loves fishing, and, as a dad, she makes me nervous as hell.  my dad radar goes crazy because guys are always trying to hit on her.  really ticks me off! 

happyhooker

Tailhunters--gotta get a cap with that embroidered on it--will drive my (fishing) niece nuts.

Frank

Benni3

Quote from: alantani on January 20, 2018, 03:35:33 AM
jonathan with tail hunter was funny.  he used to be a news reporter.  very smooth.  actually, the kind of smooth you want to make sure your daughters stay clear of!   ;D

the new penn internationals were fun to see.  hopefully they got their shifting problems straightened out. 

my favorite booth was phenix!  i love their rods for under 60# tackle.  very sexy rods!!!!!  expensive for sure, but they really are nice!

and then there is virginia at the western outdoor news booth.  she's a very sweet, very pretty young lady, loves fishing, and, as a dad, she makes me nervous as hell.  my dad radar goes crazy because guys are always trying to hit on her.  really ticks me off! 
haha,,,,,,,,,very pretty  ;D

swill88

Quote from: alantani on January 20, 2018, 03:35:33 AM

Alan, what's your opinion of that hax xh rod shown to you as an 80# rail rod?

alantani

i looked at their website and this is what i found.  honestly, i would have to pull on them to be sure, but it looks like these would be your 80, 100 and 130 pound sticks.  we are talking about 25, 35 and 45 pounds at strike, and 45, 55 and 65 pounds at full.  i'm not sure if these rods could handle these kinds of loads.  you lock the rods in a holder at a 45 degree angle, then hang 25, 35 and 45 pounds of drag on each rod an see how much they bend.  the tip of the rod should be halfway between the top of the arc and the bottom of the butt.  it should not exceed that.  this is from their website.  https://www.phenixrods.com/products/saltwater/axis/

HAX-720X2H   7'2"   40-100   1   Mod. Fast   Fuji O-Ring   Pac Bay / Hypalon   $299
HAX-720X3H   7'2"   60-130   1   Mod. Fast   Fuji O-Ring   Pac Bay / Hypalon   $389
HAX-720X4H   7'2"   80-200   1   Mod. Fast   Fuji O-Ring   Pac Bay / Hypalon   $419

natch!

Hey Alan,
Can you expound on the Penn VISX shifting issues? I've been following them but hadn't heard of this.

Jack

alantani

jack, i've had a couple where the retaining ring for the low speed main gear broke.  i also had one that did not shift fully into low and shredded the gears all together.  i've never had problems with my personal reels.  it's not common, but it does happen. 

did you still want to go to the fred hall show with me? 

jcool3

Does anyone know if phenix rods and phenix baits are the same company?