What's Penn's largest level wind reel?

Started by festus, January 19, 2018, 07:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Quote from: Rivverrat on January 20, 2018, 09:06:01 AM
I think it was 3 summers of big sturgeon & tightening the drag with pliers.  While I wouldnt do this now, no reason for abusing a reel, it was then an accepted practice amongst those I fished with... Jeff

This brings back memories, tightening the star with pliers. We discovered you could save the chrome by using a box end wrench...sheesh...LOL! Those ol' 309s were a country boy's dream reel. The Lord only knows how many millions of catfish they've landed. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

festus

Quote from: Rivverrat on January 19, 2018, 10:28:51 PM
As much as I dislike Shimano I have to admit for a conventional reel with level wind the Tekota is hard to beat. Fathoms are good also. Is this just curiosity or what are you wanting to do with this reel? ...  Jeff
Jeff, I just want to replace this cheap Shakespeare Tidewater with a good reel.  The Penn 209 and the 309 are probably as easy to service as the Penn Peerless No. 9.  Never know what's lurking in these Tennessee waters, 80+ pound flathead and blue cats are common.  TWRA has been stocking lake sturgeon for years, l know of one that was rescued from a backwater that weighed 102 pounds.  We have four species of carp, some have been caught up to 90 lbs. 

Keta

Is LW necessary?  There are many more options if it wasn't.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

steelfish

I have a friend that asked me the very same question, whats penn largest LW reel model?
after searching I told him that a fathom 60 and that it was actually a really nice reel
so, he bought it.
and it was happy with it, until a monster sea lion took his fish and put the levelwind system to cry loud then it got stuck and shredered the worm, pawl, bent the worm cover, in short all the LW mechanism was toasted, this is not a bad story, he wanted me to fix everything and it was fixable for $50 bucks (average), not that bad, he still use the reel and still is happy with a big LW and powerful reel, but now he has all the spare parts to rebuild the LW system when another Sea Lion take his catch.

so, LW are not intended for big running fish or big and poweful fish that could put the LW mechanism in problems.
The Baja Guy

Rivverrat

Festus, Lee is right about the level wind feature. Even if you have to have it there are reels that are just as easy to work on & maintain while providing better casting performance. The 309 can be kind of a clunky caster.

Dont be afraid of conventional reels lacking the level wind feature. A whole new world of appropriate reels in this performance class of reels you desire opens up. Otherwise I found it took an 8 oz. sinker to get good distance with my 309's.  

What about a Penn 4/0 ? Still inexpensive good drag & castable. The Chevy 350 of conventional reels.

festus

I already have a couple of big non level winds, not really worried about casting any distances, can use my Abus for that.  Just wanted a bigger level wind reel, I like the simplicity of the No.9, 209, and 309.  The 209 will probably be all I ever need whenever I find one.

akfish

The 209 is not nearly as strong as the 309; the 309 has larger drag washers and more robust gears. Both are extremely easy to work on. I don't consider the 9 or 209 as big fish reels -- and even the 309 will be tested with a 50 pound catfish if you have to keep it out of the snags. I've seen more than my share of 309s that are toast after wrestling with even moderate sized halibut...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

George6308

Do not forget the Penn 10 & 210 reels. Ball bearing versions of the 9/109 & 209.

Keta

Quote from: George6308 on January 21, 2018, 12:52:52 AM
Do not forget the Penn 10 & 210 reels. Ball bearing versions of the 9/109 & 209.

Larger drags and a better gear ratio.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Rivverrat

Quote from: festus on January 20, 2018, 11:14:26 PM
I already have a couple of big non level winds, not really worried about casting any distances, can use my Abus for that.  Just wanted a bigger level wind reel, I like the simplicity of the No.9, 209, and 309.  The 209 will probably be all I ever need whenever I find one.

Your explanation makes good sense... Jeff

mo65

Before it's all over Festus...you'll probably own one of every model mentioned in this thread...but that's a good thing! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Shark Hunter

I know this result is not typical, but this 100lb Shark was caught with a 209, serviced by Pompano Joe. New drag stack and ss sleeve.
The level wind still works.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=12247.0
Life is Good!

Keta

Impressive for a reel I never really liked for salmon. 

For years my main real repair work was 90% Peerless LW reels, the 209 was what most here considered "deep sea reels with a few "large" 309's.  We used 9's and 109's as trolling reels for large redband trout.

Mark Twain

Rivverrat

I remeber that shark on the 209 when first posted. Even with upgrades I think that is an extrodinary catch using that reel.
As a kid using a 209 I used to wade or swim my bait out rather than attemting a long cast with this reel using heavy sinker & bait. Used to get so frustrated with level wind jamming up during a cast. Didnt take long for me to see the merit of removing this part... Jeff