Comfort Food for the Body/Soul

Started by ChileRelleno, January 20, 2018, 03:40:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChileRelleno

I've had this damned flu-bug for a week now, it has been one hell of a long week even if I've been sleeping 15+ hours per day...  This stuff is wicked.
So bad I had to cancel a three day hunting trip at the height of our Southern Rut.
Anyways, I finally starting to feel back to maybe something on the scale of at least sub-human and my hunger/thirst has returned... Big Time.
I craved some comfort food and so I coached my wife through a batch of Chicken-n-Dumplings, she did all the food handling to keep my bugs to myself.

Now I wish I could've smoked the Chicken, but I'm just not up to it.
But it still came out danged tasty, filling and reviving of the body/soul.

Without further ado...

Chicken-n-Dumplings
2 Chickens halved and seasoned well with Lawrys Seasoned Salt
(Yielded about 8-10C of shredded chicken, I put approx 7-8C into the soup)
(Any chicken will work, even canned)
6 Celery stalks, chopped
1.5 Onions, large, chopped
2 Garlic cloves, chopped
Whatever you like for dumplings, approx 12 servings worth
(I used 3/4 pckg of Mary B Dumplings)
32oz Chicken Broth
4 Cubes of Chicken bullion
1 can Cream of Chicken soup
Water
2t Cornstarch
2T Black Pepper, 1t Celery Seed

In a large stockpot add chicken and bullion cubes, cover with water and boil uncovered for 1.5 hours.
While pot is heating chop veggies and saute in cast iron until onions caramelize, then add to pot with chicken.
Prep your dumplings.
Remove chicken/veggies and set aside to cool, once chicken is cool debone and shred
Add the chicken broth and more water if needed, return to a boil, add dumplings one by one, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 45 minutes.
Add chicken and veggies back, bring to boil and add thickener, reduce heat to simmer again for 15-30 minutes.
Serve.

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Shark Hunter

John,
The Flu and Virus are wicked this season.
I cannot remember the last time I got sick and have never had the Flu until this year.
I always get the shot, but it was very ineffective this time.
I got a chill after work a few weeks ago that sent my teeth chattering like never before.
I have lost hearing in one ear, coughs, chills, fever and loss of appetite.
More people have died from the flu virus that were killed in WW1.
Be Strong my brother and eat that comfort food.
I will see you on the sand come hell or high water. ;)
Daron
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

That right there should fix you right up. ;) ...get well soon John.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

gumpie44

I live in Vegas, so winters are pretty mild. I have a tip, not really a recipe I wanted to share. my family at this point is small...wife and I , so my cooking reflects that.  We  Buy Small Pork Roasts In A 2 pack, 2-3 lbs. Ea.  Cook one, Freeze One.  have done this a few times and it works well. My Wife Has A Kuerig coffee machine, she likes Flavored Coffee, mocha coffee and Crème Brule, like most old guys I think coffee IS a flavor and pass on it. I save one or 2 of her used pods and make a rub with it using normal spices, that are appropriate , but no heat
( for her ), add mine at the table. cook in a crock pot 5-6 hrs. with Coke / Dr Pepper or Root Beer  as the liquid. Remove From Pot, Grill On Gas Grille to set crust. Works Well, Liked By All Including My Terrier Dog.      Wanted to Add, If Making One For People Who Enjoy Chili Heat The Coffee Flavors Work Well With Cajun Spices.
Barry
Barry
Carpe  Diem   The Days Go Fast

Tightlines667

I decided the Government Shutdown was as good as an excuse as any to try some of this home cooked chicken soup.  It turned out great.  

Thanks for the inspiration Chili!

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

ChileRelleno

Not getting any better so I went back to Doc.
Started treatment for secondary pneumonia today.
Appreciate any prayers for my health.
Ragnar Benson:
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

conchydong

You certainly have a prayer from me. I sure hope you kick it soon.
May God bless you.

Scott

Shark Hunter

You got it brother.
Get well soon buddy,
Daron
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

David Hall

You're in my thoughts brother.  Get well soon.

Jerseymic

alantani

been over a week.  how ya doin'?  :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ChileRelleno

Quote from: alantani on January 29, 2018, 04:06:56 AM
been over a week.  how ya doin'?  :-\
Hi Alan,
I'm doing better, Friday the Doc said I could go back to work.
So I can drive, but they're having to send someone with me to do the labor.
My lungs still need time to recover their strength/capacity.

Plus side is that I lost just over 10lbs during all this.  ;)
Ragnar Benson:

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

thorhammer