Daiwa Luvias Help

Started by exp2000, January 20, 2018, 02:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

exp2000

Longshot!

Anybody full bottle on the Daiwa Luvias 2510PE-H?

It seems that the spool bushing (15) is retained by by a nut (14).

The well that the nut resides in is not much bigger than the head of a cotton wool bud.

Anybody got any clues on how to remove this retainig nut?
~

Bryan Young

It's definitely a specialty tool.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Rothmar2

Yeah Brett, you'll need some metal tube that will fit within the recess the nut resides in and file the ends of the tube to leave two prongs to slot into the two grooves on top of the nut. It'll be a DIY job. You've just been "Daiwa'd"! :D

Carl L

Tube idea is good, but try a 1/4 drive deep socket that fits in recess available, then ground down on sides as previously stated.

handi2

Daiwa is always different. Here is a schematic that may help. Ive never seen one this way. Usually you just remove the pin that is held in by an O ring.

http://www.daiwa.com/us/service/manuals/image/spinning/LUVIAS3012H.pdf
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

exp2000

Quote from: Carl L on January 20, 2018, 10:59:58 PM
Tube idea is good, but try a 1/4 drive deep socket that fits in recess available, then ground down on sides as previously stated.

That would be way oversize. No way it would ever fit. 1/8th inch might fit along with other unicorns.

Quote from: Rothmar2 on January 20, 2018, 10:49:00 PM
Yeah Brett, you'll need some metal tube that will fit within the recess the nut resides in and file the ends of the tube to leave two prongs to slot into the two grooves on top of the nut. It'll be a DIY job. You've just been "Daiwa'd"! :D

LOL!

But I've never been Daiwa'd before.

I keep asking myself if I am missing something.

First time I have seen an instance where a proprietary tool is required for disassembly!

~

foakes

Quote from: Rothmar2 on January 20, 2018, 10:49:00 PM

A copper or brass tube, spent bullet shell, or similar filed down will work just fine.

I generally just grab a pair of long needlenose pliers, off set needlenose, or even snap ring pliers -- doesn't take much to get it off -- just need to break the initial snugness.

There is likely a tool for this, like these tools on the mag strip for various reels -- but I work on these so infrequently -- that improvising works pretty good for me.
Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

exp2000

Quote from: foakes on January 20, 2018, 11:14:22 PM
A copper or brass tube, spent bullet shell, or similar filed down will work just fine.

I generally just grab a pair of long needlenose pliers, off set needlenose, or even snap ring pliers -- doesn't take much to get it off -- just need to break the initial snugness.

There is likely a tool for this, like these tools on the mag strip for various reels -- but I work on these so infrequently -- that improvising works pretty good for me.
Best,

Fred

If the reel was FOUR times actual size, some of these might be viable options.

As it stands, you would be lucky to fit a pop top straw down there.

Quote from: exp2000 on January 20, 2018, 02:23:27 PM
The well that the nut resides in is not much bigger than the head of a cotton wool bud.

~

Hamachi

Why are you trying to remove that? Can't you remove the clip inside the body to slide the shaft out that way?
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

Carl L

That'why I said 1/4 "drive" socket that fits the recess (maybe 5.5mm or 7/32) IDK, see what fits. When you're done, you will have a custom daiwa tool to show off... (show pics) :o

exp2000

1/4 drive 5.0mm deep socket vs cotton wool bud.

Go-No go.

Believe it or not, I've done smaller reels but not often.

Sure this one would spin you out Chris ;)

I told the client that I would get my mosquitoes to have a look at it ASAP :)

He had been pulling up sizeable Queenfish with it.

Needless to say, the felt drag washers were decimated.
~

Rothmar2

:D Might spin me out a bit Brett, but I'd just take some measurements, go scrounging, or get on the lathe and make what I need. I have seen this arrangement before, not as small mind, and not on a reel. Patience, will, and a little skill is all that is required. And you'll have the tool available if needed again in the future.

exp2000

Quote from: Rothmar2 on January 21, 2018, 05:38:04 AM
:D Might spin me out a bit Brett, but I'd just take some measurements, go scrounging, or get on the lathe and make what I need. I have seen this arrangement before, not as small mind, and not on a reel. Patience, will, and a little skill is all that is required. And you'll have the tool available if needed again in the future.

Thanks Chris.

Reckon you could find a suitable tube this small?

If Daiwa can't offer me anything (not holding my breath mind you) I might get back to you.

Whether the client is willing to wait is another matter.
~

exp2000

OK. Talked to Daiwa and YES!

It does require a special Japanese proprietary tool to remove the spool lock nut.

They said they made one using a section of tube from a small handle pivot.

Now to take some measurements and go on a scavenger hunt!

I wonder if this is a sign of things to come?
~

foakes

Here is likely what is needed -- from Hedgehog.

[IOS Factory] Multi Tool
[IOS Factory] Multi Tool
US $26.20Buy It Now2d 4h
Free Shipping

http://stores.ebay.ca/HEDGEHOG-STUDIO/IOS-Factory-/_i.html?_fsub=1109140519

Left side, 7th pic down.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.