Frankenstein RFD

Started by otghoyt, January 21, 2018, 02:47:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

otghoyt

Howdy all....

Coupla years back I did a po-boy budget build on a Jigmaster 500 and called it Frankenstein.  I fished that rig every time I want out and Fankie caught plenty of Cali-Yellowtail on the Yo-Yo, Flat Fall heavies and bait. That thread is in here someplace if you want to see the beginning.

Since then there have been several new additions and upgrades.  I ponyed up for a set of Challenger's SS 4:1 gears with keyed drag plates.  This is far superior to the Penn, Parkerized steel main I was using.  I was also using one of Bryan's five plate drag systems but decided on the integral 4 plate keyed system Challenger came up with. It is smoother, more controllable and breaks free seamlessly. Although I have not fished this as a 500 I use the same design on my 6/0s,  Then there was the double dog SS gear plate which is manufactured at much finer tolerances than the Penn plate.  The gear sleeve/handle wobble is nearly non-existent and helps immensely with the gear mesh. I polish all metal to metal mating surfaces and use valve lapping compound on all SS gear sets.  I am punishing these reels to extremes. I use every trick in the book and a few others as well.

I also picked up a complete matching set of unused, Newell, graphite, real seat and bars.  Kind of interesting is the front bar is clad with a SS line protector. Never seen one of those. It is Frankenstein after all. I put on one of Three Se7en's Newell looking oversize drag stars.  I used the star on old Frankie and the oversize helps control small reduction changes in the drag as line rips off.  I will catch a 50+ pound Tuna with this rig and if it pops, I'll do it again just for the fun of it.

I stayed with a Fenwick Pacific Stick but I went for a more balanced 30-60 weight rod with a very nice Alps roller tip. I kept the double ring 259 tail plate like we used to do back in the 70s and used SS 3/4 inch screws in all the frame holes. You can also use a tail plate from a Senator 111 but the Live Bait Caster is more interesting.  I decided not to go with hollow core, loop to loop as it negated the take-a-part system that the Jiggy is famous for.  I use loop to loop on my heavier stuff.  I won't get to fish Frankie till the YT get a bit more consistent and I can hardly wait.  I pick up a fair bit of work hot roddin reels from my weird builds and people asking questions.  Frankenstein Rules!

Thanks for looking and we'll see you on the water..

H~

bhale1

Hoyt,
First, wow!!, "Franky" looks awesome!
Now, secondly, please humor this relative newbie😁....say again how you get a double ring tailplate on a Jigmaster! That looks so cool, and screams  "old school"...my favorite look for a Penn reel...double rings!
Oh , and I'm trying to figure out what the collar looking thing is on the crank arm,...sort of up by the handle nut...but it may just be the pics as I'm viewing this on my tablet right now. Looks like a great build...go get those YT's
Brett

otghoyt

Hey Bret,

The double ringed tail plates are from other Penn models that happen to use the same screw hole pattern as the 500.  It's kind of a junk yard mentality of swappin parts to make a your ride into a rat rod.  Penn used double ring tail plates for some reason although I have been told the gains are minimal. The other models that bolt on are a 259 Live Bait Caster and a Senator model 111.  They are pretty hard to come by these days and I troll e-bay for them all the time.  Lots of people there don't know what they're sellin so you need to be Penn savvy.

Ahh!  You saw my Reel E-Z adjustable crank arm,  That's not just old school, that piece is olds' cool.  The arm has a slot cut into the lower half and will slide within a lock down mechanism with a knurled thumb locking screw.  I like to think of it as my 2 speed mod.  On the short setting it is about as long as a stocker. On the long position it's ridiculously long for big torque multiplication. I can do justice rippin a jig on the short and pull 2X hard on the long position.  What's way cool is you can go from rippin speed to the grinder position during the first run just after hook up. Short run short position.  Long run long position.  No brainer and thank God for that.  Found that piece trollin e-bay too.  The guy had 3 brand new ones in the packages and I bought them all.

I will get more pics when the sun comes up.  Thanks for diggin it and I have a very nice Senator 111 tail plate with rings I could let go of if you have the same addiction as I do.

swill88

You made a great reel Hoyt.
Some great ideas.
Thanks for the report.
Steve

Bryan Young

Nice write up Hoyt. Let her rip and get it done. Love what you have done.

I have never saw Reel EZ for a jigmaster gearsleeve. Only for the 4/0. That is a rare piece of history parts today.

Can't wait for he did pics.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

otghoyt

Hey, I am a hack compared to you guys.  Kudos from both of you is over the top.  Thank you for the kind words.  I will get on those pics directly.  

And here they are........
The three in a row are: L to R is Frankenstein, 505HS and 506HS on my home built Cal Star long rod. The 505/6 has SS gear set, SS gear sleeve, DD, and Bryon's 5 plate
drags, orange seal ABEC 5 bearings.

I do most of my business on the bow and I get respects from the others up there.  I do not own a new reel.  Other than the 2 I built, I do not own a new rod  I use a Seeker Lifter rod and a Custom Varmac roller rod for my 6/0s built to Sal Specs with Three Se7ens hex inserts and his SS offset arms.  That's all my busted back can stand but I hung big Bluefin last year and nobody could believe I was using a one speed Senator. My rods NEVER touch a rail!

Yogi_fish808

That's an awesome hot rod Hoyt!! Newellized Penns are always a winner in my book. And no you are well beyond a "hack" or newbie in wrenching on reels. If you've started piecing together random reels like Ted to build a bad #### rat-rod then I'd say you're pretty damn knowledgeable. Get her on the water once the season opens and haul up some big ones!

otghoyt

Hey Yogi_fish808,

I thank you for recognizing my unique madness and the kind words.  I need to know more about "Ted".  I would like to witness his particular madness for myself.

I grew up in a far away land called Phoenix.  When I was a teen and had a hundred bucks in my pocket, I drove to San Diego and hopped on the Malihini with Capt. Manny Silva at the helm.  Me or one of my So Cal buddies would win the big fish every time we went out.  When other regulars knew we were there they wouldn't even throw in their 2 bucks.  When a po boy could catch a fish that would pay for his trip, well I was the first to wet a jig.  

Customizing reels was one of the ways we could better our position on the cheaps.  The industry was changing fast with the likes of Carl Newell making magic happen in his garage. The guys pouring lead in their back yard so we could pitch that iron on the bow .  It was a freedom I have been chasing ever since.  It ain't about the money.  It's the passion!  

Feed the passion,

H~