A Tale Of THREE 113H Sideplates & Their CLICKERS ! ! !

Started by ez2cdave, January 22, 2018, 02:47:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ez2cdave

Greetings, Ohana !

Tonight, as I was working on a newly-acquired Penn 113HLW, I discovered something I had not seen before in the Clicker Assembly.

The "clock" on the sideplate indicates it was made in 1995, for reference.

So, without further delay . . .

A Tale Of THREE 113H Sideplates & Their CLICKERS . . . I'll let the pics speak for themselves !

The sideplate on the Left is from an old 113H, where the Drag Washers are accessible by removing the Handle & Star Drag.

The Middle sideplate is a "typical" 113H sideplate.

The sideplate on the Right is the one off the 113HLW ( The Bearing is a larger diameter than the other two sideplates and, obviously the Click Spring is NOT Metal ).

Until now, I have never seen a sideplate like the one on the Right. So, I am puzzled. Its Bearing is # 40-113HL ( Remember, it's a "1995" sideplate ).

Every other 113HLW I have had all used sideplates like the Middle one.

So, rather than list a bunch of questions, I'd like to hear from the "Guru's" of the Ohana !

Tight Lines !

akfish

You can replace the plastic click spring with a metal one; it's a direct swap although the screw must be changed as well. Penn used those plastic springs for only a few years; yours could be replacement of the original meta spring. BTW: Are the side plate screws on your 113HLW self-tapping (sort of like wood screws)? Far too often those screws stripped the holes in the frame. In fact, I believe that Penn recalled those frames in their 113H and 114H reels because of that problem.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

ez2cdave

Quote from: akfish on January 22, 2018, 03:01:17 AM
You can replace the plastic click spring with a metal one; it's a direct swap although the screw must be changed as well. Penn used those plastic springs for only a few years; yours could be replacement of the original meta spring. BTW: Are the side plate screws on your 113HLW self-tapping (sort of like wood screws)? Far too often those screws stripped the holes in the frame. In fact, I believe that Penn recalled those frames in their 113H and 114H reels because of that problem.

Hi,

The sideplate screws are just standard Penn screws, nothing like a self-tapping screw.

The newly-acquired 113HLW is a "half-frame" Graphite-framed reel ( I hate the pressed-in "inserts" in those frames ) . . .

I only bought the reel for the "loaded" sideplates and HLW spool, which are now residing in a topless TIBURON T4W frame.

The Graphite frame has been re-fitted with other 113H sideplates and another HLW spool I had on hand and it will be going back out on eBay, in a few days.

If all goes well, I should "break even" or come pretty close !

So, is that "plastic" Click Spring "junk" ? If so, I can easily swap it over to a metal one. Until now, I had never seen the non-metal spring.

Thanks,

Tight Lines !

day0ne

More info here"

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/27N-113H.aspx

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackles old online store over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Yogi_fish808

Haha someone dropped a newell plastic click spring in there, that's a new one to me. Penn parts should have the oem part for sale.

Army_of_One

I could be wrong, but I believe they(the 95 plate you have) were recalled.
Another day in Paradise!

Keta

Quote from: Army_of_One on January 22, 2018, 03:55:08 PM

I was thinking the same, the handle side cracked.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

ez2cdave

Quote from: Army_of_One on January 22, 2018, 03:55:08 PM

Hmm . . . Probably a little LATE to get a replacement from PENN, after 23+ years . . . All their new ones are the "Chinese" ones with fewer mounting holes.

Thoughts ?

Tight Lines !

ez2cdave

Guys,

I found more information about the plastic Click Spring on MysticParts.com. . . It's being replaced with a metal one, ASAP.

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/62M-209.aspx

Tight Lines !

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackles old online store over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

ourford

I have a 113hlw with the hollow side plates and the plastic clicker. The bearing fell out of the non handle side and I replaced that plate with a regular 113 plate. To my surprise when I cleaned the trim rings. I found that they are stainless. I didn't know any of the US made senators had stainless rings.
Vic

RowdyW

They are the late USA Senators with the rings made in China. The chinese screws are ss instead of chrome plated brass also.

ourford

I would think that too but this is a US made reel and I was under the impression that the Chinese rings don't fit the US reels. The other weird thing is that the screws are chromed brass but are phillips.
Vic

RowdyW

The Chinese make both type of rings. As for the screws they were outsourced to china too as was most of the internal & external parts. The philips screws were a short term addition & then changed back to slotted screws. The replacement parts you get now all come from China whether it's for the old style H or new style H2 reels.

ourford

So it's possible to get ss rings for an older 113h? Where would one get them and thanks for the insight.
Vic

RowdyW

MysticParts.com (your Penn Parts supplier) unless they still have old stock left.